Quarantine Tank

damsels are not mean

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi,

I’ve been extensively researching all aspects of saltwater aquariums, but find myself struggling to grasp the quarantine tank process. I was hoping someone can help with a few questions.

1. Would folks recommend simply purchasing the attached tank to support clowns, blennies and other small fish during quarantine?
2. Can I introduce nitrifying bacteria by simply adding cycled water from my main tank into the quarantine tank?
3. If so, will that suffice or do I also need to introduce sponge filters that have been given the appropriate time to cycle and grow nitrifying bacteria? (I haven’t introduced sponge filters to the tank yet and trying to avoid waiting a whole month to have them colonized by bacteria)
4. Currently, I have no fish in my main tank and am about to complete the nitrogen cycle. Can I skip the quarantine process for the first 2 fish?
5. If I skip QT and things go south, does that mean I will have to replace my sand, rock and water - or - just the water?

Thanks in advance!
1. Are they all in at the same time? I think that would be cramped. If split into multiple rounds, should be fine.
2. Water does not contain any (living) nitrifying bacteria. You would need established surfaces. Rocks, sponges, maybe sand form the cycled tank.
3. I would get a sponge ready either in your display in advance or cycle a sponge in the QT with bottled bac to speed it up. You can also just dose prime to keep ammonia non toxic when you add the fish and do water changes, considering how small the tank is. 50% is only 1 bucket. Prime absolutely can not go in if you are going to treat with copper, though.
4. I say quarantine everything wet. Even the first fish. If they come in sick, you are going to have to reset the clock 6 weeks back again to deal with most diseases and if you get uronema in the display it's there forever, which means damsels and chromis might be off the stocking list and other fish are at risk if they are stressed.
5. Uronema is the only disease that lingers. Ich, velvet, etc. all have a fallow period that is several weeks. Though it might be faster at that point to drain/sanitize the tank and re-cycle rather than wait the fallow period.

edit - Whoops didn't realize this thread is so old. Hope it's going well!

cpalminteri

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I like the Top Fin "Essentials" kit and actually started with the 37 gallon as my main tank -- HOB power filter from that is still in use today on my current 40 gallon tank.

As someone else stated previously, if you don't already have extra equipment laying around, I think it's a good value since it comes with heater and power filter.

Won't comment on any of the QT aspects but note that the 20 gallon kit is only $20 more than the 10 gallon kit.
ah I seee. Yeah I would do the 20 the only problem for me is space I have a small 1 br and I'm only going to have 3 fish. 2 clowns first and then a yellow clown goby down the line

EricR

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
ah I seee. Yeah I would do the 20 the only problem for me is space I have a small 1 br and I'm only going to have 3 fish. 2 clowns first and then a yellow clown goby down the line
Defer to others on how appropriate 10 gallons is for QT of 2 clownfish.

If you go with happen to go with the Top Fin kit, my suggestions are:
- Make sure you get the "Essentials" kit -- my local PetSmart has other kits that look similar but come with a cheaper "filter" that's something more like a bubbler with some small sponge or something,,, not a true power filter
- Get online pricing if you pickup in store -- 10 gallon linked in first post is $59.99 right now (still seems reasonable to me if buying new since you get heater and power filer)

cpalminteri

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Defer to others on how appropriate 10 gallons is for QT of 2 clownfish.

If you go with happen to go with the Top Fin kit, my suggestions are:
- Make sure you get the "Essentials" kit -- my local PetSmart has other kits that look similar but come with a cheaper "filter" that's something more like a bubbler with some small sponge or something,,, not a true power filter
- Get online pricing if you pickup in store -- 10 gallon linked in first post is $59.99 right now (still seems reasonable to me if buying new since you get heater and power filer)
Thanks just checked it out. Very good pricing!

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 36 31.3%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 28 24.3%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 21 18.3%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 30 26.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back