Quarantine tanks: Does a beginner "REALLY" need one? Or just good practice?

Ettercap

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Went to my LFS today to pick up new clownfish.
new-clownfish.jpg

I really wanted a B/W oce with an orange oce instead of two orange ones. I think the LFS was trying to upsell me telling me that I NEEDED to have a quarantine tank. I understand its a good practice but the practicality is just not there in my opinion. There is an added cost for tank/accessories/maintenance for a tank that is not even our main tank. Especially as a beginner saltwater person...
My questions:
1. The QT tank... does it get broken down everytime you finish the QT phase?
2. Is it normal to re-cycle the tank everytime you need it? Or is it a thing where you just keep it up the whole time without any fish being in there?
3. When does it become the "absolute" necessity?

On a side note in regards to my LFS and the scenario of the clownfish...
The first LFS told me that a Black and white ocellaris and a standard ocellaris will kill each other. They must be the same color pattern. I did question him about that but his response was that he had x amount of years of experience and he had personal experience with this so I just succumbed to purchasing two common clownfish. I went back home to read that only different species not different patterns of the same species have hostility (barring of course the fact that any two of the same species can hate each other). So I returned to the LFS and he gave me partial-credit and lectured me about how "I should have this knowledge/information before I come to the store." Which ticked me off a bit because the point of a customer admitting they are new to the hobby relies on the LFS for support for the generic guidance. But I understand not every person can get an experienced person and help out with everything. It still upset me enough to just go to another store.

Then I went to the other LFS and got what I wanted. My kid tells me that he wanted one of the "gladiator" patterned clownfish so I go back to the LFS and swap it out for a gladiator one. The problem was that I didnt check it the second time and the clownfish I got was more of a "mis-bar" versus an actual gladiator patterned. (My only reference of a gladiator pattern is having the white line go above and in between its eyes/forehead. Im not going back to the LFS again to repeat the process! lol

Squidward

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I believe it depends on what size your display tank is and what kinds of fish you plan on keeping. I only do TTM so my qurantine tanks are only in use when I qurantine.

davidcalgary29

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You don't need a quarantine tank if you:

1. Are willing to accept the fact that the introduction of anything live into your tank can also bring in a disease that can wipe it all out; or

2. You use your display as a quarantine tank, introducing live rock, inverts, corals, and macro at the beginning and then waiting at least 45 days until you introduce your fish, which you will acquire only from respectable sellers who pre-quarantine their fish or that you know come from a disease-free tank.

OP
OP
E

Ettercap

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
1. Are willing to accept the fact that the introduction of anything live into your tank can also bring in a disease that can wipe it all out; or
I understand this statement in its entirety. Obviously, the overall intention is very contextual meaning if I had a 40g breeder and this is my first tank... then a qt tank would be a nice accessory but not needed. Versus, someone who has a 100+ tank that is well established and has a lot of time with the tank. They would not want to lose everything because of someone elses husbandry.

I was mainly perturbed, at that moment, only because the theory of a qt tank is a very nice one and its a great husbandry practice in the future of someones growing experience with saltwater aquaria. But the expectation of having a qt tank when one is starting out is a bit over-zealous in my opinion. I would compare it to the idea of cycling a tank... is it "humane" to perform a fishless cycle vs have a "fish-in" cycle? Data shows fish-in cycle is much faster than a fishless cycle because of the low amounts of ammonia but then again its a popular husbandry idea.

Jedi Knghit

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Quarantining is a hotly debated topic around here, so you will find people on both sides of the fence.

I didn't see the need when I started either. Started with two clown fish and everything seemed fine. A month later I added a Royal Gramma, and within a few days it was flashing all the time. If you think QT is a hassle and unneeded expense, wait until you do introduce a disease and then have to setup a QT tank to treat the survivors and go fallow in the DT for 76 days.

Personally, I believe it is a matter of when, not if, you introduce a disease to your DT if you do not quarantine.

blaxsun

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Personally, I believe it is a matter of when, not if, you introduce a disease to your DT if you do not quarantine.
I'm fairly certain I'm adding something every few months unbeknownst to me. I focus on keeping my fish well fed with garlic, selcon and other fish supplements. An oversized UV makes a big difference as well.

Jedi Knghit

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm fairly certain I'm adding something every few months unbeknownst to me. I focus on keeping my fish well fed with garlic, selcon and other fish supplements. An oversized UV makes a big difference as well.
I have no doubt you do and have success. But do you think a new person to the hobby, who is concerned about the expense of a QT tank, is going to do all of that? How much did that oversized UV cost? :) Probably a lot more than a 10 gallon QT tank setup.

Sebastiancrab

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
When you have lost fish due to velvet, flukes and brooklynella like I have, you will become a strong believer in having a quarantine tank. I believe every LFS has incoming diseases from the supply chains.

On your mixing a black and white and regular clownfish, I have a pair of those today. Never had a problem.

EeyoreIsMySpiritAnimal

Just another girl who likes fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
IMO, an inexperienced reefer needs a qt more than someone who's had a tank for years. Unless you've done a LOT of research first (which the OP admits he has not), then you're gambling with the lives of your animals. Once you know how to keep a healthy tank through good husbandry, quality foods, etc, then a qt may matter less.

Dom

Full Time Reef Keeper
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

"Quarantine tanks: Does a beginner "REALLY" need one? Or just good practice?"​

Frankly, your question is indicative of someone who is in a rush. Please be patient and avoid the headache of dealing with an infected tank.

The practice of quarantining has nothing to do with skill level or years of experience. It's just common sense. Why risk disease in your display tank?

In QT, a diseased fish may succumb to illness, but at least the rest of your tank is healthy!

Ask anyone on this forum about the heartache they've been through when their tank got infected. They end up regretting their choice not to QT and do so moving forward.

EeyoreIsMySpiritAnimal

Just another girl who likes fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
But the expectation of having a qt tank when one is starting out is a bit over-zealous in my opinion. I would compare it to the idea of cycling a tank... is it "humane" to perform a fishless cycle vs have a "fish-in" cycle? Data shows fish-in cycle is much faster than a fishless cycle because of the low amounts of ammonia but then again its a popular husbandry idea.
All of this makes me very sad, and a little angry...
OP, I don't know where your "data" comes from, but I imagine you are cherry picking info that supports the decisions you've already made.
I wish you the best of luck, but fully expect to see future "emergency" posts from you.

Sebastiancrab

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
OP, I don't know where your "data" comes from, but I imagine you are cherry picking info that supports the decisions you've already made.
I wish you the best of luck, but fully expect to see future "emergency" posts from you.
A fish-in cycle is cruel, imo. Given all the bacteria starters on the market today, it is inexcusable to use a fish to cycle your tank. They can't tell you when their gills are burning.

Dom

Full Time Reef Keeper
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I understand this statement in its entirety. Obviously, the overall intention is very contextual meaning if I had a 40g breeder and this is my first tank... then a qt tank would be a nice accessory but not needed. Versus, someone who has a 100+ tank that is well established and has a lot of time with the tank. They would not want to lose everything because of someone elses husbandry.

I was mainly perturbed, at that moment, only because the theory of a qt tank is a very nice one and its a great husbandry practice in the future of someones growing experience with saltwater aquaria. But the expectation of having a qt tank when one is starting out is a bit over-zealous in my opinion. I would compare it to the idea of cycling a tank... is it "humane" to perform a fishless cycle vs have a "fish-in" cycle? Data shows fish-in cycle is much faster than a fishless cycle because of the low amounts of ammonia but then again its a popular husbandry idea.

The problem is how you see a QT tank.

You can QT in a square rubbermaid tub with a heater and a HOB filter.

Total: $50-$75.

ZombieEngineer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you don't get fish that are already treated for disease and parasites, you need one.

I failed to quarantine a mandarin goby once because I was told their slime coat was too thick for parasites to pass and that person was wrong. It had marine velvet that killed every fish in my 125g except a single clownfish that I saved with copper (probably $1000 worth of fish). The resulting ammonia spike killed $3000 worth of coral and I had to go 2 months without any fish in my display tank.

blaxsun

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have no doubt you do and have success. But do you think a new person to the hobby, who is concerned about the expense of a QT tank, is going to do all of that? How much did that oversized UV cost? :) Probably a lot more than a 10 gallon QT tank setup.
Oh, I agree. I mean, the 57-watt UV wasn't exactly cheap - but it helps keep my fish happy, healthy and disease-free. So it's just another tool in my "tackle box", so to speak.

QT can be very stressful (and even fatal) for fish, and when you have a sterile environment and something eventually gets introduced - it can be really catastrophic. Note that I'm not advocating for or against QT. Both methods can be equally successful or disastrous.

Sharkbait19

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do you need a qt - no
Do you need healthy fish - no, but I certainly like to think you want them.

If you are willing to risk killing all of your fish every time you get a new one, then you do not have to quarantine. However, I highly suggest that you quarantine all new fish to negate the risk of disease introduction in the tank. It’s a pain, but certainly less painful than killing fish due to a mistake.
It has nothing to do with tank size, age, fish type, or experience. I started by saying that qt wasn’t necessary. I ignored everyone saying I needed to or the fish would likely die. My first fish died of disease within 2 months, and that taught me it’s importance. My qt was 10 gallons, and the tank was 13.5.

As for the clowns, I agree with the lfs that they should be the same breed. All are occelaris clowns, but similar to how different dog breeds have different aggression levels, clownfish will vary by the breed. The black morphs tend to be meaner than the white or wild type ones, and mixing can be dangerous. My mocha (or Darwin - not sure which) female killed my regular male (and went on to kill all her tankmates). I am attempting to repair, and currently have a Darwin in qt.

doubleshot00

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Its a commitment. Like you have to do WC all the time, test everyday, watch the fish constantly. I did all that and still had a tang and firefish die in 12 hours because I obviously didn’t do something right.

Imo some of these QT practices are ridiculous. Im currently QT a Firefish in my frag/growout tank that i cycled (because he was with a bunch of sick/dead fish now) . If i was going to QT another fish I would do multiple in another system that was cycled and observation only.

Now hospital tanks is different.

OP don’t feel you “have to” QT its a risk we take and im willing to take. The stress we put on these fish is unbelievable. Good luck

Tamberav

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A QT tank is cheap as heck... it's like a $15 plastic tote and an air stone and a sponge with some plastic plants or something. Costs less than most fish in this hobby.

Most people don't last more than 2 years in this hobby because of a pest or disease so seems like beginners should have one more than most.

You might be fine and you might not. It is not a cost issue though.

Last edited:

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 36 31.3%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 28 24.3%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 21 18.3%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 30 26.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back