Quarantine Time?

Justin101714

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Quick generalized question I guess. I have a powder blue tang about 5 inches across. He’s been in quarantine unmedicated for 3 weeks. No sign of anything this whole time. He eats like a bear. My other 4 quarantine tanks run a mixture of cupramine and prazipro. I’ve used this method for about a year now whenever I get anything that touches water. But, if my powder blue doesn’t show any signs of disease, ich, etc....for another 3 weeks for a total of 6 week quarantine, can I plop him in my DT? Or should I use cupramine at a therapeutic level for the next 3 weeks. He came from Carolina aquatics, he never hit water at my LFS, I got him right when he arrived.
30348E09-3BBF-49F3-BC4F-83FF2C9FE4AC.jpeg

evilchef70

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would go a couple more weeks and then display tank. Powder are famous for ick as you know and a changed environment can stress them. so the other qt tanks with the chemicals may stress him. acclimate him slow and you should be fine.

OP
OP
J

Justin101714

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So is it entirely possible that a fish can carry ich, never show sings, put him in DT and then BOOM!! Ich covered? Also, if a fish never shows signs ad it’s medicated for 4 weeks at 1.0ppm of cupramine, could the fish still carry it? I have a yellow tang and sailfin in my 150 DT now that were medicated for 4 weeks in 1.0ppm of copper and are doing great! Could they have ich still?

bluprntguy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So is it entirely possible that a fish can carry ich, never show sings, put him in DT and then BOOM!! Ich covered? Also, if a fish never shows signs ad it’s medicated for 4 weeks at 1.0ppm of cupramine, could the fish still carry it? I have a yellow tang and sailfin in my 150 DT now that were medicated for 4 weeks in 1.0ppm of copper and are doing great! Could they have ich still?

Yes. a fish could easily carry ich but never show signs.

Since you‘ve treated all your other fish, I’d assume they are ich free. It‘s possible they were never clear of ich or that you’ve introduced it to the tank via frags or cross contamination, but that chance is probably pretty low. Since you treated them, I think you should assume they are ich free.

Seems like 14 days of copper and then transfer to a clean aquarium (or the display) or tank transfer method instead of copper would be my approach here for the new addition. Tank transfer avoids medication entirely, but I know it’s a little more challenging with tangs since they need larger QT tanks.

OP
OP
J

Justin101714

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would imagine the ich parasites goal is to reproduce and continue feeding. Hard to imagine it could stay dormant indefinitely. My DT was medicated for 2 months with cupramine, 4 hermit crabs lived through 1.0ppm of the medication. Any fish added after the DT medication we’re quarantined separately. I’ve removed the cupramine with cuprazorb down to 0ppm ad it has stayed 0ppm for 2 weeks.

bluprntguy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Fish exposed to ich eventually develop a resistance and won’t show visible external symptoms. Ich still continues to reproduce and feed, mostly in the gills where it’s not visible.

Carolina Aquatics looks like a wholesale operation. They probably have thousands of fish go through on a monthly basis. Their tanks have got to be a soup of disease just like your LFS.

I think it’s a pretty good chance that this tang has ich or another disease and would transmit it to your now clean DT. I would not chance it.

OP
OP
J

Justin101714

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Oh I’m not chancing anything. I had a velvet outbreak and it killed hundreds of dollars in fish. I wear new gloves every time I do anything that might touch water. Each tank has its own nets, syringes, food, test vials... everything that water touches doesn’t touch my DT until it’s quarantined.

JD2716

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Quick generalized question I guess. I have a powder blue tang about 5 inches across. He’s been in quarantine unmedicated for 3 weeks. No sign of anything this whole time. He eats like a bear. My other 4 quarantine tanks run a mixture of cupramine and prazipro. I’ve used this method for about a year now whenever I get anything that touches water. But, if my powder blue doesn’t show any signs of disease, ich, etc....for another 3 weeks for a total of 6 week quarantine, can I plop him in my DT? Or should I use cupramine at a therapeutic level for the next 3 weeks. He came from Carolina aquatics, he never hit water at my LFS, I got him right when he arrived.
30348E09-3BBF-49F3-BC4F-83FF2C9FE4AC.jpeg
How exactly do you quarentine with both of these meds? I just started up my first quarentine tank and I am just doing some research. Youre process sounds like what I want to do.

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 36 31.6%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 27 23.7%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 21 18.4%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 30 26.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back