Quarantine with goby and pistol shrimp

wsanley

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am setting up a coral/invert quarantine to keep undesirables out of the DT. I have a fish QT already. I want to get a goby and paired pistol shrimp and Diver's Den have a paired twosome available I'm eying. I've had 4 clowns that went through QT already with CopperSafe and MetroPlex, I've run Cuprisorb and carbon to get the medications out and am ready for the next fish.

Can I proactively treat gobies with CopperSafe? Will separating the goby from his paired shrimp cause problems? When I'm ready to put them in the DT do they go in at the same time or one first then the other? #reefsquad

Spare time

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Divers den fish for sale have no reason to be quarantined since divers den fish go through an extensive QT process. Gobies can be in copper but in this situation it would be useless

OP
OP
W

wsanley

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Divers den fish for sale have no reason to be quarantined since divers den fish go through an extensive QT process. Gobies can be in copper but in this situation it would be useless

Thanks for your reply. Even though they do a quarantine on their DD selection, it’s not long enough to outlast the ich lifecycle as well as other pathogens and illnesses. They even recommend that you still quarantine their fish. I’d attach the thread where they specifically said that, but I don’t know how to.

Spare time

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for your reply. Even though they do a quarantine on their DD selection, it’s not long enough to outlast the ich lifecycle as well as other pathogens and illnesses. They even recommend that you still quarantine their fish. I’d attach the thread where they specifically said that, but I don’t know how to.

I believe that the QT for ich depends on species but you are right that there are some marine ichs that having a longer life cycle than the typical 2 week life cycle of marine ich. However, the degree to which they QT in divers den is far greater than 99.999% of hobiest would ever take. I think where they say that you should still QT is on their non divers den fish. Here is the link to where I am looking https://www.liveaquaria.com/general/general.cfm?general_pagesid=425

We have copper power with our watchmen gobies at the place I work so you should be fine.

ichthyogeek

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Re coppersafe, here ya go:

For separating fish and pistol shrimp, I'd recommend adding the shrimp (after quarantining!) first, let it establish its burrow, then add the goby near where the shrimp put its burrow.

rkpetersen

walked the sand with the crustaceans
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I personally quarantine all fish. Fish from DD are no exception.
I don't qt invertebrates. I know some people do, but I don't. The risk of transferring disease is low.
It's hard to say what will happen if you separate the gobies and shrimp in order to qt the gobies.
Sometimes the shrimp will establish burrows and the fish will head straight for them when they join them a month later.
But that might not happen. As an example, I had a pair of dracula gobies that were purchased as a bonded pair, and they acted like it all through quarantine, hanging out and eating together. The candy cane shrimps were already established in the display. But when I transferred over the 2 gobies after their qt, the larger one grabbed the nicest burrow and immediately decided it didn't want the other one around anymore, attacking it. The smaller fish eventually gave up trying to get back with the larger one, and then set up its own burrow on the other side of the tank. Each has its own shrimp.

OP
OP
W

wsanley

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Re coppersafe, here ya go:

For separating fish and pistol shrimp, I'd recommend adding the shrimp (after quarantining!) first, let it establish its burrow, then add the goby near where the shrimp put its burrow.

Fantastic information. Thank you so much for sharing. Printing this for future use as well!

rkpetersen

walked the sand with the crustaceans
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Fantastic information. Thank you so much for sharing. Printing this for future use as well!

That link is one that everyone should have bookmarked. :)

PTXReef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I separated my yellow watchman goby from his tiger pistol shrimp friend when I was treating with cupramine for ich. The treatment went longer than expected (~2 months). When they were reintroduced, they went burrowing immediately! Once they find one another, you should be fine!

OP
OP
W

wsanley

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do I need to add substrate for the gobies while in QT or will they be fine without? I’ve seen some people add a tupperware of sand/crushed coral to keep it contained in the QT. I ordered my goby pair from DD yesterday and they’ll arrive tomorrow! So excited! #reefsquad

PTXReef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do I need to add substrate for the gobies while in QT or will they be fine without? I’ve seen some people add a tupperware of sand/crushed coral to keep it contained in the QT. I ordered my goby pair from DD yesterday and they’ll arrive tomorrow! So excited! #reefsquad

I’ve done both. I prefer giving them some substrate to dig into tho. They seem happier that way!

PTXReef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Should I add some sand in the invert QT for the shrimp?

By invert QT, you’re not treating that tank with any additives right? Just separating them and running a fallow period to eliminate all fish parasites?

You can add sand but the shrimp will kick it up and move it around (if you have corals on the bottom of your tank the sand might irritate them. Also, the shrimp may move around your coral on the tank bottom). This is the main reason I got rid of my pair.

OP
OP
W

wsanley

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
By invert QT, you’re not treating that tank with any additives right? Just separating them and running a fallow period to eliminate all fish parasites?

You can add sand but the shrimp will kick it up and move it around (if you have corals on the bottom of your tank the sand might irritate them. Also, the shrimp may move around your coral on the tank bottom). This is the main reason I got rid of my pair.

Yes, I'm just running a fallow period to eliminate all fish parasites. Although, I've had a turbo snail die because I don't think there's was enough algae on the glass for it between the two that I've got and I'm tempted to plop the other turbo snail in the DT. There's lots of food for it there.

As for the shrimp I added a shallow tupperware of sand but I think one of the scarlet hermits got him last night. I guess he may be buried in the sand and I just can't see it.

A worm with high fashion and practical utility: Have you ever kept feather dusters in your reef aquarium?

• I currently have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 64 36.8%
  • Not currently, but I have had feather dusters in my tank in the past.

Votes: 59 33.9%
  • I have not had feather dusters, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 25 14.4%
  • I have no plans to have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 26 14.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back