Quarantined Fish Has Parasite

Dan I

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey everyone, I have a dilemma. I have a hippo tang with what might be an infestation of ich that took over, however I do not remember ich being this bad before.

Quick backstory. I had fish previous to these new fish. I got velvet and I went fallow for 80+ days. I found a person that quarantine fish and started buying quarantine fish. Only thing I introduced are the fish I got from this vendor. Unfortunately, this is the outcome to one of the fish. I noticed the fish had white spots almost a week within, but thought it was debris as the fish would swim and eat normally. However, as the days move forward he has gotten an outbreak. Now I know I have a parasite once again in the tank. However, I would like feedback if it is ich indeed or should I worry for the worst which is velvet. I am debating on contacting the vendor at the moment.

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Without pictures, it is impossible to say. Ich can get pretty severe towards the end. Velvet causes smaller spots and very rapid breathing.

Jay

OP
OP
Dan I

Dan I

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Okay, so hippo passed away and my midas as well. I think I might have velvet again. My desjardini is not eating as much, breathing rapidly, and has a weird discoloration. He looks like it has velvet. These are the best pictures I can get of it.

final 1.png
final 2.png
final 3.png

What do you guys think? Am I correct?

Attachments

• final 1.png
    final 1.png
    1.2 MB · Views: 19
  • final 1.png
    final 1.png
    1.2 MB · Views: 65
  • final 1.png
    final 1.png
    1.2 MB · Views: 24

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The pictures, combined with the symptom of rapid breathing points to velvet (Amyloodinium) although I can't 100% rule out a systemic bacterial infection. Many people mistake end-stage ich for velvet, but I don't see that here. Velvet is quite a bit rarer than ich. The timeline here is a bit off though - true velvet often kills all of the fish in a tank within 36 hours after symptoms present, and this has been going on longer than that. Still, losing 2/3 of the fish is obviously very serious.

Have you treated with anything yet? Time is of the essence here.

Jay

OP
OP
Dan I

Dan I

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The pictures, combined with the symptom of rapid breathing points to velvet (Amyloodinium) although I can't 100% rule out a systemic bacterial infection. Many people mistake end-stage ich for velvet, but I don't see that here. Velvet is quite a bit rarer than ich. The timeline here is a bit off though - true velvet often kills all of the fish in a tank within 36 hours after symptoms present, and this has been going on longer than that. Still, losing 2/3 of the fish is obviously very serious.

Have you treated with anything yet? Time is of the essence here.

Jay

Just got back from purchasing an emergency hospital tank and essentials. Going to pull out all fish and start therapeutic dosage of copper power.

OP
OP
Dan I

Dan I

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@Jay Hemdal Okay, so I got all my fish in a quarantine tank. Ordered a hanna checker copper test. I am using the api right now and it looks like I'm sitting at 1.0 ppm copper, dosed another 4 ml to reach 2.0 ppm. I also bought kana plex, metroplex, and focus for additional aid. I just mixed focus and metroflex in today's feeding and he took some in. Here is how the desjardini is looking, a bit worse. His skin looks like it is peeling off.

Tang 1.png

Tang 2.png

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes - that is almost definitely an external protozoan infection. Maintain full copper. It does take up to 3 days for copper to begin reversing a severe infection. Trouble is, this fish may not have three days.

Jay

OP
OP
Dan I

Dan I

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes - that is almost definitely an external protozoan infection. Maintain full copper. It does take up to 3 days for copper to begin reversing a severe infection. Trouble is, this fish may not have three days.

Jay
Yeah, he is looking a bit worse today. He is breathing more rapid and his skin has peeled a bit more exposing redness. He is swimming normally and eating a bit still. Quick question, when dosing metro, would I be able to dose directly into QT tank or mixing in with focus and food the better route?

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Metro in the food almost always fails. It is very bitter. Most fish try it once, then never again. Additionally, the whole idea of mixing "some amount" of metro into focus and then feeding it to fish has too many uncontrolled dosage variables, here is a link to an article that describes the issue:

Jay

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 35 31.5%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 26 23.4%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 21 18.9%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 29 26.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back