Quarantining fish on a new tank

Jakob023

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I know it's a really good idea to quarantine your fish, however if you have a new tank, do you need to do it with your very first one or two fish that you get for the tank? Assuming if you get two fish they are going to be from the same place and added at the same time.

secret_reefer337

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It defeat the purpose of quarantine. the purpose of quarantine is to observe the fish in a sterile tank, no sand, no rocks or corals for possible sickness, parasites, etc. If the fish is a carrier and it drop ich eggs or a velvet they will stay in the sand and rocks thus making it hard for you medicate. Just my opinion.

Reefer5640

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That kind of defeats the purpose. I would set up a separate tank for QT. The benefit that come to mind off the top of my head are; treating with meds and chems are limited in a reef tank or even just a tank with live rock. You aren’t limited in a bare QT. Catching the fish would be much more difficult with the aquascape of your DT vs a bare QT. And huge one for me is establishing an ich eradicated tank. This would be impossible adding fish without going through the proper QT. Also you’d introduce all other ailments to the DT

Uncle99

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I didn’t QT my first pair either.
If, over the next 30 days, they are “fine” they are settled
If they show bacterial or parasitic problems, then they gotta come out to be treated.
If parasite, they are out out of the DT for 72 days while it goes fish less.
Kinda depends on your taste for risk.
I seen fish die in QT as well as these are usually, less stable than DT.

of course, ensure you are completely cycled.

028F502D-71C0-4A9B-A0AA-834ED28C938B.jpeg

Reefer5640

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah I’d say it’s worth mentioning. Learning about how to properly QT and accurately ID ailments and knowing how to treat them and multiple ailments at the same time has proven to be the most difficult part of the hobby for me and Ive killed just as many fish trying than I did before when I didn’t QT. But I will say that now that I’ve got a good amount of experience doing it, I’ve found a system that works for me. Now I won’t put a single thing in my tank (not even a rock, snail, algae, Frag, anything...) without quarantine first.

There are a lot of different ways to go about QT. I tried hypo salinity, copper, tank transfer. All had their pros and cons. For me every fish I buy gets acclimated with a methylene blue dip then goes into the first tank to start TTM. I also treat with prazipro in tanks 1, 2, and 3 while feeding medicated food with metro and focus. Between transfers they get a fresh water dip or another methylene blue dip. I don’t usually treat tank 4. That’s all preventative. I adjust the method depending on which curve balls I’m thrown. Then they go into a holding tank that’s treated with kanoplex for 1-2 weeks to make sure they are still eating okay and for further observation. Then to the display tank. Unless Its a new DT then they stay in holding while the DT goes through a 76 day fallow (fishless) period.

OP
OP
J

Jakob023

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It defeat the purpose of quarantine. the purpose of quarantine is to observe the fish in a sterile tank, no sand, no rocks or corals for possible sickness, parasites, etc. If the fish is a carrier and it drop ich eggs or a velvet they will stay in the sand and rocks thus making it hard for you medicate. Just my opinion.

Okay, I was wondering if that might be the case. Was hoping to skip a step in the beginning if possible. But looks like they'll need to be quarantined first. Thanks!

Clear reef vision: How do you clean the inside of the glass on your aquarium?

• Razor blade

Votes: 134 59.8%
  • Plastic scraper

Votes: 64 28.6%
  • Clean-up crew

Votes: 80 35.7%
  • Magic eraser

Votes: 39 17.4%
  • Other

Votes: 63 28.1%
Back