Quarantining new fish with Copper / Meds?

huckjai

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey Reefers. Completely new to reefing, but I have been reading and learning a lot on this site, gathering as much info as I can. I'm trying to figure out which is the best way to ensure my fish are disease free before going into my display tank.

Main diseases I want to make sure to get rid of are: Ich, Velvet, Brook, and Uronema.

I currently have 2 Clowns in QT, using TTM. Have not dosed any meds as of yet. Both are eating fine and show no signs of anything. One of the clowns' poop is a bit lighter in color and stringy, but not quite white either. I will be starting Metroplex treatment regardless.

Seems like most people here are doing Copper + Metroplex for new fish going into the DT. Upon reading, it seems that Metroplex is used to treat the above 4 diseases. If that's the case, then do I really need to run Copper?

Also, can everyone share with me their current successful quarantine methods for new fish?

Thank you for your time!

Last edited:

Idoc

Getting lazier and lazier with upkeep!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You mentioned you are doing TTM... that takes the place of copper treatment. You have to be very precise with TTM.

Clowns are pretty hardy and handle full on copper pretty well. But they are susceptible to Brooklynella. I would treat with Metronidazole first to take care of that... then copper... then prazipro.

OP
OP
H

huckjai

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You mentioned you are doing TTM... that takes the place of copper treatment. You have to be very precise with TTM.

Clowns are pretty hardy and handle full on copper pretty well. But they are susceptible to Brooklynella. I would treat with Metronidazole first to take care of that... then copper... then prazipro.

Thanks Idoc. So with TTM, I can skip Copper? I was thinking TTM with General Cure / Metro. Since GC has Prazi, can I skip Prazi? Thinking to use this method Day 1, general cure, day 3 metro, day 5 general cure, then metro day 7,9,11,13,15 while doing TTM.

Idoc

Getting lazier and lazier with upkeep!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks Idoc. So with TTM, I can skip Copper? I was thinking TTM with General Cure / Metro. Since GC has Prazi, can I skip Prazi? Thinking to use this method Day 1, general cure, day 3 metro, day 5 general cure, then metro day 7,9,11,13,15 while doing TTM.

Yes, TTM is used in place of copper treatment. I've never used TTM, so I'm not up on the procedure or transfer days, let alone mixing other meds with the procedure. Gonna have to let someone else jump in to help with that one, lol.

ihavecrabs

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Check out the stickies on this forum. It’ll have all the information you could ever want and need!

I’m two years in and insanely happy I prophylactically treated my fish. Only fish I lost was to jumping. Everyone else is happy and healthy (assumed happy anyway)

OP
OP
H

huckjai

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
TTM will replace copper for the treatment of ich. Think copper would still be required if you wanted to account for velvet and maybe a few others.
This is where I'm a bit confused. Seachem's website says that Metro treats Ich and Velvet. And on Humblefish's site, it states Metro also treats Brook and Uronema.

If that is the case, then it appears TTM and Metro should cover Ich, Velvet, Brook, and Uronema. But it looks like some people on run TTM with copper. Just being extra cautious?

I think I will stick with TTM with GC and Metro and monitor fish before releasing to DT. I'll have Copper on hand in case it's needed.

BeejReef

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is where I'm a bit confused. Seachem's website says that Metro treats Ich and Velvet. And on Humblefish's site, it states Metro also treats Brook and Uronema.

If that is the case, then it appears TTM and Metro should cover Ich, Velvet, Brook, and Uronema. But it looks like some people on run TTM with copper. Just being extra cautious?

I think I will stick with TTM with GC and Metro and monitor fish before releasing to DT. I'll have Copper on hand in case it's needed.
It's over my head tbh, but humblefish is a real authority.
It sounds like you've already done considerable research, but you might get more responses to your particular questions in the fish disease and treatment forum. Real good peeps over there with established, repeatable protocols.

OP
OP
H

huckjai

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's over my head tbh, but humblefish is a real authority.
It sounds like you've already done considerable research, but you might get more responses to your particular questions in the fish disease and treatment forum. Real good peeps over there with established, repeatable protocols.
Yeah my head is about to explode trying to figure out the best course of action, haha. I'm more stressed than the fish. Thanks for your help.

dwest

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah my head is about to explode trying to figure out the best course of action, haha. I'm more stressed than the fish. Thanks for your help.

I’ve tried lots of methods. Now I do this every time with a very high success rate.

Squidward

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've only done TTM lately and did do 2 doses of prazipro after 1st tank transfer and the 3rd transfer on my dwarf angels. Other than that I've only done TTM. I used to do copper in the past but didn't want to deal with it anymore.

OP
OP
H

huckjai

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve tried lots of methods. Now I do this every time with a very high success rate.

Thanks Dwest. I'll try without any copper first. Not to keen on subjecting fish to it. But will definitely consider this method if I run into any issues.

puffy127

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
TTM alone does not treat velvet. There is however, an experimental method combining hydrogen peroxide with TTM and no other meds to address almost all parasites.

dwest

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks Dwest. I'll try without any copper first. Not to keen on subjecting fish to it. But will definitely consider this method if I run into any issues.
The game changer with copper is the Hanna checker. Now you can be precise without overdosing.

Back