Queen angel with a volitan lion?

Lionfish hunter

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Does anybody have experience keeping a queen angel with a lionfish? I am going to have to upgrade my tank to accomidate the lion. I am considering going larger if I can keep a queen with my lion, but the queen angel will be deciding factor for a very large tank. I know queens can be aggressive and territorial. I am a little worried that will be hard on the very easy going lionfish. Current lionfish is 8”. Also any thoughts on wether an 8” lion will try and eat a 3” angelfish?

jda

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have had Volitans in larger tanks with mostly aggressive fish and they did not get bothered. Passer, Hawiian Black Triger (durgon), Golden Puffer, Blue Angelfish, Black Tangs (really nasty at larger sizes) and some others. The lion started out at 5" and was basketball sized near the end. It ended up in a 2500g tank at a local hospital with similar fish where it was fine for at least a 4-5 years until I moved and stopped checking on it.

Mine was an aggressive eater that would scoot over quickly to snarf up some whole shrimp, cuttlefish and other meaty hunks. It was not shy about getting in there with the larger fish.

My lion would never eat any other fish... just offered foods, but I got it when it was small. I had cleaner shrimp in a different tank when it was smaller and it never ate them - the cleaners used to hang out near the face of my zebra eel.

This is just one instance, so take this for what it is worth...

lion king

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The queen will likely not turn her angst toward the lion, a 250g will just be borderline to handle the aggression of a queen angel, but the aggression would be toward other species. If you have had the lion for a while and got him when he was less mature, he'll likely not try to eat a 3" angel, but that is a size that an 8" lion could take down. A newly acquired lion that size I wouldn't trust.

OP
OP
Lionfish hunter

Lionfish hunter

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The queen will likely not turn her angst toward the lion, a 250g will just be borderline to handle the aggression of a queen angel, but the aggression would be toward other species. If you have had the lion for a while and got him when he was less mature, he'll likely not try to eat a 3" angel, but that is a size that an 8" lion could take down. A newly acquired lion that size I wouldn't trust.
Okay, I don't plan on having much more than those two, I've always understocked my tanks. Maybe a blue tang which I will make sure to put in there before the queen. Things happen fast sometimes, starting the 250 from glass glasscages now, just ordered a 3" angel. Found too good of a deal on ebay for $190. I might have to keep her in quarantine until she gets a little bigger. I will just see how the size looks when the queen comes home. My lionfish has no tankmates and I'm afraid he thinks he is king and everything else is food, maybe even his queen. I don't want my fish to have a more expensive meal than I have ever had!

A worm with high fashion and practical utility: Have you ever kept feather dusters in your reef aquarium?

• I currently have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 65 37.1%
  • Not currently, but I have had feather dusters in my tank in the past.

Votes: 59 33.7%
  • I have not had feather dusters, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 25 14.3%
  • I have no plans to have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 26 14.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back