Question about Clowns?

DebraLV

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi All, I did take everyones advice about 3 fish in a 10 gallon, so I bought a 32 gallon Bio Cube that I started today. I know the drill about cycling, thanks to you guys and this forum :)

I did purchase 2 days ago a wild Ocellaris, juvenile clown. He was a little more expensive, so say the LFS as he was wild caught and not bred in captivity.​

He is doing really well in my 10 gallon with my juvenile yellow tail damsels. Of course, one Damsel likes to bully at feeding time but other then that, they retreat to the two caves on opposite ends of the tank. No fighting, my bully damsel picks a fight at dinner and breakfast time. My clown paired up with my one docile Damsel. They are buddies.​

I am just wondering as I have visited Petco and they had aqua-cultured Clowns for about 20.00. They do not wiggle and sway like my guy is doing. They just kind of swim around in the tank at Petco.

This guy I bought never swims straight ahead, he wiggles and sways like Elvis. Yesterday he buddied up with my digital heater all day. This morning he hosted my intake tube. This afternoon he is taking a liking to my floating thermometer. I'm talking all day except feeding and then he is back at it.

Is this normal? It will be a few months before I put a BTA in as my 10 gallon is new and it will probably be 6 months for my 32 gallon will be mature enough for an anemone. Is this normal behavior for a wild clown? Are wild caught clowns used to hosting anything? I've attached a photo. I do have video, but I can't figure out on this forum to attach a video.

I'm just wondering if my LFS was playing me, charging 10.00 more for a wild clownfish. I rely on everyone's advice here before my LFS.

Screenshot 2021-09-16 6.12.06 PM.png

rhostam

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Mine do similar things. I know I’ve read tons of similar posts asking the same. Wild or not, clowns have a lot of personality.

Yes, it is “normal.” Clowns appear to just be wacky creatures that can even bite the hands that feed them if you look at them wrong.

As for videos, you have to upload to YouTube or something and then link to it. Direct video uploads don’t work.

Danroo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Clowns do weird stuff at one point they’re super calm and friendly and the next thing you see is them being aggressive to other tank mates. They try to host everything they find. Its just normal clown behavior.

OP
OP
DebraLV

DebraLV

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Clowns do weird stuff at one point they’re super calm and friendly and the next thing you see is them being aggressive to other tank mates. They try to host everything they find. Its just normal clown behavior.
Yes, they are! I guess that's why they call them clowns :)

Rmckoy

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Once upon a time wild caught were cheaper

it’s a dominance dance . Either showing dominance or submitting to the more dominant one. .

but as I was always advised . They are called clowns and weird funny things is what they do

OP
OP
DebraLV

DebraLV

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Once upon a time wild caught were cheaper

it’s a dominance dance . Either showing dominance or submitting to the more dominant one. .

but as I was always advised . They are called clowns and weird funny things is what they do
I have not heard that Rmckoy! Apparently for what I paid, wild caught are more expensive these days, but then again, what do I know as a beginner lol. I only started dabbling in SW tanks.

Rmckoy

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Mine do similar things. I know I’ve read tons of similar posts asking the same. Wild or not, clowns have a lot of personality.

Yes, it is “normal.” Clowns appear to just be wacky creatures that can even bite the hands that feed them if you look at them wrong.

As for videos, you have to upload to YouTube or something and then link to it. Direct video uploads don’t work.
Bite the hand that feeds them. .
And for a small innocent fish .
I’ve had a small juv tomato clown draw blood .

Rmckoy

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have not heard that Rmckoy! Apparently for what I paid, wild caught are more expensive these days, but then again, what do I know as a beginner lol. I only started dabbling in SW tanks.
Things change over time .
and we are here to learn from each other .
what once was , can be a thing of the passed ,

thank you for sharing

And welcome to the salty side .

Danroo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have not heard that Rmckoy! Apparently for what I paid, wild caught are more expensive, but then again I only started dabbling in SW tanks.
Wild caught are being sold as less as possible due to the nature of the oceans at the moment. Plus the wild caught ones are less hardy than the captive bred. So they have a chance to die when the parameters are not in range. I lost my only wild caught and it was stacki damsel cause of this.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Clowns have multiple personalities. More important than how they swim is:
Breathing rate - They breathe slightly faster than the typical fish but it should NOT be labored.
Swim - Hula dancing good, BUT swimming into path of water flow constantly or in a corner on bottom is not
Eating- Should be somewhat eager to eat. Flakes and pellets will not account for their dietary needs
SKIN - Inspect fish for hazy skin, or mucus covered skin or black dots

Foods:
Spirulina brine shrimp
Formula 1 flake and frozen
LRS fish Frenzy
Hikari Marine cuisine
Mysis shrimp
New Era or similar pellets

OP
OP
DebraLV

DebraLV

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks everyone! I felt a bit guilty buying a wild one and I know the oceans are suffering. I have no clue where my LFS catches them. The owner was not there. The display tank was just marked "wild" clowns.
I'm in LA, close to the ocean, 20 minutes, but he has amazing SW fish from all over the world and has been around forever and well recognized.

I do know that his tanks are pristine and builds custom tanks for Celebs and he has been around since the stone age. Either way, this clown is doing great for a 29.99 dollar wild one.

I know they are more cheaper at Petco or if you have one shipped from Live Aquaria. But you then pay overnight shipping. But I do know Petco merged with Live Aquaria. Even then you are getting bred in captivity.

OP
OP
DebraLV

DebraLV

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Breathing rate - They breathe slightly faster than the typical fish but it should NOT be labored.
Swim - Hula dancing good, BUT swimming into path of water flow constantly or in a corner on bottom is not
Eating- Should be somewhat eager to eat. Flakes and pellets will not account for their dietary needs

Foods:
Spirulina brine shrimp
LRS fish Frenzy
Hikari Marine cuisine
Mysis shrimp
Yes!! VetteGuy, the Hula Dance. That is 100% the way to describe what he is doing without posting a video. Exactly what he is doing. Thank You! I don't do flakes, I do Spirulina, brine shrimp twice a day. Thank You!

Danroo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks everyone! I felt a bit guilty buying a wild one and I know the oceans are suffering. I have no clue where my LFS catches them. The owner was not there. The display tank was just marked "wild" clowns.
I'm in LA, close to the ocean, 20 minutes, but he has amazing SW fish from all over the world and has been around forever and well recognized.

I do know that his tanks are pristine and builds custom tanks for Celebs and he has been around since the stone age. Either way, this clown is doing great for a 29.99 dollar wild one.

I know they are more cheaper at Petco or if you have one shipped from Live Aquaria. But you then pay overnight shipping. But I do know Petco merged with Live Aquaria. Even then you are getting bred in captivity.
I’m sure they only came to his tank due to over population of the clowns in the sea. Can’t be for sure. Captive Breds for me feel more ethical due to them never knowing the ocean plus being rather cheap as well.

OP
OP
DebraLV

DebraLV

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m sure they only came to his tank due to over population of the clowns in the sea. Can’t be for sure. Captive Breds for me feel more ethical due to them never knowing the ocean plus being rather cheap as well.
I really don't know. He did have 2 captivity, clowns but the tank was under quarantine and they were not for sale. I was told the previous owner had them and got along great together but the owner decide to dump his tank and go with tropical.
I guess beginning reefers try it, realize it's hard and revert back to tropical fish. Fortunately, this LFS, once you buy...if it doesn't work out, they will take their fish back. Of course, no refund. They are a brick & mortar LFS.

melonheadorion

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
they are probably one of the coolest fish to look at, but they can be boring. from my experience, they are very reserved type of fish. they like an area, and they stay there because they feel safe. thats why you see them going around to different areas right now. he/she is looking for a place to feel safe, and to call home. my two clown fish have found that they like to sleep in between the heater and the glass, and they generally stay there all day until i come to the tank with food.

IAMNEWREEFER

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Foods:
Spirulina brine shrimp
LRS fish Frenzy
Hikari Marine cuisine
Mysis shrimp
I feed my clown brine shrimp flakes is that ok?

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
I feed my clown brine shrimp flakes is that ok?
Inadequate

Spirulina brine shrimp
Pellets such as New Era
Hikari marine cuisine
Mysis shrimp
small plankton

Back