Question about cycling with Dr. Tim's One and Only.

OP
OP
glb

glb

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not sure about the test kit.

As for dissipating, chlorine yes, chloramine no. That is why chloramine has become so popular with utilities
Ok I added a whole bottle of biospira and didn't add any Prime. I took a sniff of the RODI water I made last week and it does smell like chlorine. How can this be if the TDS is 0? And what do I do about it? I called a LFS and they said Miami-Dade does use chloramine. How can I get the RODI water I've already made ready for the tank? Sounds like Prime would release ammonia into the water. I'm very confused!

OP
OP
glb

glb

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
And just realized that my rodi cartridges will be two years old in June! They lasted a long time because I only had a nano before. Time to change even though TDS is still 0?

Brew12

Electrical Gru
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok I added a whole bottle of biospira and didn't add any Prime. I took a sniff of the RODI water I made last week and it does smell like chlorine. How can this be if the TDS is 0? And what do I do about it? I called a LFS and they said Miami-Dade does use chloramine. How can I get the RODI water I've already made ready for the tank? Sounds like Prime would release ammonia into the water. I'm very confused!
Yes, go ahead and add the Prime and no more waiting! It will release ammonia to the tank but it will both neutralize it and it will be at a very low level compared to what is already in there. So yes, please add it!!!

Chlorine and Chloramine are not dissolved solids so that is why you can have them and still have TDS of 0.
And just realized that my rodi cartridges will be two years old in June! They lasted a long time because I only had a nano before. Time to change even though TDS is still 0?
Yes, replace them! According to the manufacturer you should replace them every 6 months. With a nano tank they will last much longer but they sound like they are past due for replacement.

OP
OP
glb

glb

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes, go ahead and add the Prime and no more waiting! It will release ammonia to the tank but it will both neutralize it and it will be at a very low level compared to what is already in there. So yes, please add it!!!

Chlorine and Chloramine are not dissolved solids so that is why you can have them and still have TDS of 0.

Yes, replace them! According to the manufacturer you should replace them every 6 months. With a nano tank they will last much longer but they sound like they are past due for replacement.
With new cartridges, should this problem go away? If it doesn't, how do I get the RODI water ready to use?

OP
OP
glb

glb

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
With new cartridges, should this problem go away? If it doesn't, how do I get the RODI water ready to use?

Ok I will replace them. Do new ones filter out chloramines? And should I buy a chlorine test kit to do regularly? Does it measure chloramines too? Sorry for all the questions!

Brew12

Electrical Gru
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes, new cartridges should make the problem go away. If it doesn't, you should call Aquatic Life and ask why the product isn't working as advertised.

Ok I will replace them. Do new ones filter out chloramines? And should I buy a chlorine test kit to do regularly? Does it measure chloramines too? Sorry for all the questions!
Yes, since you have the 4 stage it will filter out chloramines. That is probably why the problem didn't show itself in your nano tank until recently.

Just make sure your test kit checks for free chlorine. That is what you are looking for. A pool test kit might work but I would worry they aren't accurate enough. I would stick with the one I linked from BRS earlier. Once you replace your cartridges make a point of routine testing of your RODI starting around the 4 month point. Time to replace when you start seeing a positive test.

Brew12

Electrical Gru
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Oh, and for now, just stick with adding Prime to all of the RODI you make. That will have to do until you get your new filters. I would add Prime to your nano tank, also, if you haven't already.

OP
OP
glb

glb

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Oh, and for now, just stick with adding Prime to all of the RODI you make. That will have to do until you get your new filters. I would add Prime to your nano tank, also, if you haven't already.
Won't that add ammonia?

OP
OP
glb

glb

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Day 20

Added a 75g size bottle of biospira. Added 5ml Prime for chloramines.

Ammonia: 4ppm
Nitrites: 0ppm
Nitrates: 7-8ppm

I also added Prime to the ATO reservoir.

OP
OP
glb

glb

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes, new cartridges should make the problem go away. If it doesn't, you should call Aquatic Life and ask why the product isn't working as advertised.

Yes, since you have the 4 stage it will filter out chloramines. That is probably why the problem didn't show itself in your nano tank until recently.

Just make sure your test kit checks for free chlorine. That is what you are looking for. A pool test kit might work but I would worry they aren't accurate enough. I would stick with the one I linked from BRS earlier. Once you replace your cartridges make a point of routine testing of your RODI starting around the 4 month point. Time to replace when you start seeing a positive test.
Do I need to replace all the filter cartridges? There's carbon, Sediment, DI resin and the membrane. Do some last longer than others?

Cflip

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Thanks never knew that!

Brew12

Electrical Gru
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do I need to replace all the filter cartridges? There's carbon, Sediment, DI resin and the membrane. Do some last longer than others?
Your DI resin and the carbon both play a role so I would replace both. The DI resin should be color changing. Have you noticed if it has changed colors?

Brew12

Electrical Gru
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Day 20

Added a 75g size bottle of biospira. Added 5ml Prime for chloramines.

Ammonia: 4ppm
Nitrites: 0ppm
Nitrates: 7-8ppm

I also added Prime to the ATO reservoir.
I'm sorry it took so long to get to this point, but I think you will start seeing your cycle really take off.

OP
OP
glb

glb

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Your DI resin and the carbon both play a role so I would replace both. The DI resin should be color changing. Have you noticed if it has changed colors?
The DI is almost exhausted. What about the sediment and the membrane ones?

Brew12

Electrical Gru
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The DI is almost exhausted. What about the sediment and the membrane ones?
If your TDS and flow rate is still doing fine I wouldn't worry about those as much. When your sediment filter starts to clog you will get less production. Your TDS will rise if your membrane is bad.

OP
OP
glb

glb

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If your TDS and flow rate is still doing fine I wouldn't worry about those as much. When your sediment filter starts to clog you will get less production. Your TDS will rise if your membrane is bad.
Thanks for all your help!!!

Brew12

Electrical Gru
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for all your help!!!
I'm glad to help. I do feel bad I didn't get you on the right path earlier. :(

I'm just so glad you didn't rush and put fish in your system before it was ready!

OP
OP
glb

glb

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

I'm just so glad you didn't rush and put fish in your system before it was ready!
Oh I know better than that! Lol

OP
OP
glb

glb

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

I wonder how long it will take now. You were right. Adding the Prime caused the ammonia to go up a little.

Brew12

Electrical Gru
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I wonder how long it will take now. You were right. Adding the Prime caused the ammonia to go up a little.
Unlike many things in reefing where you have multiple ways to get good results, the chemistry never lies. Its a nice confirmation of the chloramine in your system. I only hope you got the Prime in soon enough to save the Biospira. If you did I would expect your ammonia to be at 1ppm or less this time tomorrow and nitrates pushing 15-20.

More than just hot air: Is there a Pufferfish in your aquarium?

• There is currently a pufferfish in my aquarium.

Votes: 30 17.8%
  • There is not currently a pufferfish in my aquarium, but I have kept one in the past.

Votes: 27 16.0%
  • There has never been a pufferfish in my aquarium, but I plan to keep one in the future.

Votes: 32 18.9%
  • I have no plans to keep a pufferfish in my aquarium.

Votes: 72 42.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 4.7%

Back