Question about my possible last fish to add to my tank (goby)

Fish?

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So, I was interested in the yellow watchman goby and yasha before I had even started my tank, and I'm looking into getting whatever one my fish store has. So I have a 24g cube, 2 clownfish (still being annoying and fighting, I have seen some submission, so it should be over soon?), an orchid dottyback, and a bicolor blenny. the clowns don't really have a set territory, my dottyback hangs near a cave at the top and sits in his burrrow in the sand, and the blenny hangs near the top and wedges himself in a hole (or just anywhere where algae is). None of them even interact except the clowns. There is a large cave in the middle that my shrimp stays in and if someone comes through he doesn't care, and it even cleans my blenny. So would that be ok to keep a goby long term, and since I hear he might run out of food in the sand would getting a baster or something and putting frozen or pellets on the sand bed to makes sure he is eating? Thanks for the response.

brandon429

why did you put a reef in that
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

be ready

OP
OP
Fish?

Fish?

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

be ready
Sorry the thread was a little confusing, could you summarize it please?

JReef3

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So, I was interested in the yellow watchman goby and yasha before I had even started my tank, and I'm looking into getting whatever one my fish store has....So would that be ok to keep a goby long term, and since I hear he might run out of food in the sand would getting a baster or something and putting frozen or pellets on the sand bed to makes sure he is eating? Thanks for the response.
A few thoughts. While a Yellow Watchman is a great fish and would certainly fit in your tank, a Yasha or Hi Fin might be a better choice as they are smaller and might be a slightly better fit for a 24gal tank. Also, when you mentioned them running out of food in the sand, some gobies get more of their food from sand than others. A diamond goby is a sand sifting goby that just sifts all day and gets a lot of food from the sand. The Watchman and Yash you mention might run some sand through their mouth/gills but often do pretty well if you can, as you mentioned, get pellets and/or frozen food down to them. I kept a Yellow Watchman for several years in in a prior tank and he readily ate pellets I'd drop down to him after turning off pumps during feeding. I'm not sure if you're considering a pistol shrimp to go with the goby but all gobies mentioned here are types that will pair with a pistol shrimp fairly easily and it's a neat relationship to have in a tank.

OP
OP
Fish?

Fish?

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A few thoughts. While a Yellow Watchman is a great fish and would certainly fit in your tank, a Yasha or Hi Fin might be a better choice as they are smaller and might be a slightly better fit for a 24gal tank. Also, when you mentioned them running out of food in the sand, some gobies get more of their food from sand than others. A diamond goby is a sand sifting goby that just sifts all day and gets a lot of food from the sand. The Watchman and Yash you mention might run some sand through their mouth/gills but often do pretty well if you can, as you mentioned, get pellets and/or frozen food down to them. I kept a Yellow Watchman for several years in in a prior tank and he readily ate pellets I'd drop down to him after turning off pumps during feeding. I'm not sure if you're considering a pistol shrimp to go with the goby but all gobies mentioned here are types that will pair with a pistol shrimp fairly easily and it's a neat relationship to have in a tank.
I thought about the watchman getting bigger and because I want to kep all the fish long term, and I think my fish store has a yasha, but they always get very small ones in, so it worries me that the food might be too big, mainly because I can't break my LRS nano frenzy small enough sometimes, and my shrimp might steal some if I can't distract him. I wasn't planning on getting a pistol shrimp because I heard it might kill trespassing inverts in his burrow (also I love my fire shrimp). But I heard from about feeding things like reef chili or reef roids to them because its smaller and better for digestion, if I have the extra cash is it worth it for the health of the fish? Thank you so much.

brandon429

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Fish I’m way more interested in your summary if you will make one. If not, I understand. After having just typed a clear stance on disease prep there it’s no fun to retype it.

If a real reading of that thread is flatly indiscernible then skip it and other readers can give it a go.

Jay was able to understand enough to make a recommendation for the disease issue though

do you share any fish introduction similarities to that poster Nick? How old is your tank…in the thread you can see we plainly discussed disease incidence vs tank age. this appears to be adding mixed pet store fish without any preps to a tank cycled in April

that’s not being mean it’s an attempt to re describe what’s in the thread and be a prediction warning, helpfully as well. It wouldn’t be possible to read the thread and think it’s bad advice to have fish disease preps in place before adding mixed fish quickly. It reduces waste expenditure.

Last edited:

tippin.turtle

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
1628363102068.png

I added this Blue Devil Damsel to each one of my frag tanks. It has great color, it's cheap, and despite its nasty reputation; mine has been a terrific tank mate to all my other fish.

OP
OP
Fish?

Fish?

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Fish I’m way more interested in your summary if you will make one. If not, I understand. After having just typed a clear stance on disease prep there it’s no fun to retype it.

If a real reading of that thread is flatly indiscernible then skip it and other readers can give it a go.

Jay was able to understand enough to make a recommendation for the disease issue though

do you share any fish introduction similarities to that poster Nick? How old is your tank…in the thread you can see we plainly discussed disease incidence vs tank age. this appears to be adding mixed pet store fish without any preps to a tank cycled in April

that’s not being mean it’s an attempt to re describe what’s in the thread and be a prediction warning, helpfully as well. It wouldn’t be possible to read the thread and think it’s bad advice to have fish disease preps in place before adding mixed fish quickly. It reduces waste expenditure.
Actually I don't share any similarities with what nick had described, all my newer fish are eating well, got acclimated to the tank quickly and my only fish problems happen with my clownfish when they fight a little. They all eat my foods I feed and did so right away. My tank is about 5-6 months old now and my levels are always in check.

brandon429

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you for considering the thread and its core details.

JReef3

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I thought about the watchman getting bigger and because I want to kep all the fish long term, and I think my fish store has a yasha, but they always get very small ones in, so it worries me that the food might be too big, mainly because I can't break my LRS nano frenzy small enough sometimes, and my shrimp might steal some if I can't distract him. I wasn't planning on getting a pistol shrimp because I heard it might kill trespassing inverts in his burrow (also I love my fire shrimp). But I heard from about feeding things like reef chili or reef roids to them because its smaller and better for digestion, if I have the extra cash is it worth it for the health of the fish? Thank you so much.
No one can guarantee the compatibility of fish/inverts, but a smaller pistol shrimp like a Randalli would not likely pose a threat to a fire shrimp or other members of your CUC, especially if fed regularly. That said, if you're not into a pistol shrimp with your goby, no need to risk it. Regarding feeding your goby, while some more exotic foods are certainly beneficial, if cost is a factor, you can certainly get away with just dropping pellets down to them to supplement what they get when feeding the rest of the tank. You could always add to their diet after observation of their health as needed.

Mr. Mojo Rising

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
in my own personal opinion, 4 fish in a 24 should be the max. Adding another one is iffy, especially with a dottyback which has an aggressive reputation. Adding another fish might be lighting a fuse

Last edited:
OP
OP
Fish?

Fish?

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
in my own personal opinion, 4 fish in a 24 should be the max. Adding another one is iffy, especially with a dottyback which has an aggressive reputation. Adding another fish might be setting off a fuse
So, the reason why I thought it might be ok is because a while back I watched a video from mr. saltwater tank's series on starting up a budget first tank, I remember he said that having a pair of clowns, a pair of cardinals, an orchid dottyback, and a ywg would be acceptable in a 20g, also he never mentioned territories. But I don't think I'm entitled to an opinion on some stuff yet, but I do think there's more room for another smaller fish, and my dottyback only will defend his burrow from the shrimp when he goes after food, it's my most timid fish.

OP
OP
Fish?

Fish?

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No one can guarantee the compatibility of fish/inverts, but a smaller pistol shrimp like a Randalli would not likely pose a threat to a fire shrimp or other members of your CUC, especially if fed regularly. That said, if you're not into a pistol shrimp with your goby, no need to risk it. Regarding feeding your goby, while some more exotic foods are certainly beneficial, if cost is a factor, you can certainly get away with just dropping pellets down to them to supplement what they get when feeding the rest of the tank. You could always add to their diet after observation of their health as needed.
Yeah so with the food I think I'm overcomplicating things, also the pistol shrimp might be considered in the future, just because I still want to think about that, but the randalli would probably be the one I would look into if I ever did want to buy one.

More than just hot air: Is there a Pufferfish in your aquarium?

• There is currently a pufferfish in my aquarium.

Votes: 30 17.5%
  • There is not currently a pufferfish in my aquarium, but I have kept one in the past.

Votes: 27 15.8%
  • There has never been a pufferfish in my aquarium, but I plan to keep one in the future.

Votes: 32 18.7%
  • I have no plans to keep a pufferfish in my aquarium.

Votes: 74 43.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 4.7%
Back