Question about New clowns staying in one spot

AdamR0331

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello I Picked up a pair of clown fish yesterday and they have been staying in only this one spot since yesterday is this normal for many the first 2-3 days as with any fish but some do it differently ? no signs of heavy breathing just slightly at some moments ,

20 gallon long
4 weeks been running

20230206_215549.jpg 20230206_215605.jpg

Last edited:

Red_Beard

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Totally normal behavior. If you want them out front and center find something that will host them, nem, duncan, hammer, whatever them decide they like(you cant force it and they are going to do what they do regardless) they may after a few weeks get a little more exploratory, but also maybe not. Clowns are headstrong.

OP
OP
AdamR0331

AdamR0331

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Totally normal behavior. If you want them out front and center find something that will host them, nem, duncan, hammer, whatever them decide they like(you cant force it and they are going to do what they do regardless) they may after a few weeks get a little more exploratory, but also maybe not. Clowns are headstrong.
do you think like Terry le said avoid to try placing a anemone or placing more corals ? still new to salt hobby

Red_Beard

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Seconded, 4 weeks is going to be tough to keep a nem happy. I would just let your clowns do their thing for a few months and when your tank matures then think about getting a nem.
When i moved mine into my 75, they hung out by the overflow for 6 months, then i added a nem, it was another 6 months before they even looked at it. They avoided it like the plague. Until one day, they decided they loved it and moved in. Clowns be clownin.

melonheadorion

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
clowns like to feel safe. with an anenome, they will generally stay with the anenome. if there is no anenome, they will usually camp out in a certain area, and not deviate from it. a corner was a common spot for mine until they discovered the heater, and stayed there for the longest time until i got an anenome.

kevgib67

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ya I agree with all of the above. My clowns stayed in the right back corner for about 6 months and just like that they moved to the left back corner, been there for 8 months. They do go out and about near feeding time, usually a good half hour before I feed. The answer to most clownfish behavior questions: clowns being clowns. That covers just all weird behavior observed.

A worm with high fashion and practical utility: Have you ever kept feather dusters in your reef aquarium?

• I currently have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 62 36.3%
  • Not currently, but I have had feather dusters in my tank in the past.

Votes: 59 34.5%
  • I have not had feather dusters, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 24 14.0%
  • I have no plans to have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 26 15.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back