Question about new rock

lisadklein

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi everyone. I got a new (to me) 20 gallon tank with a couple clownfish and a sassy cleaner shrimp 2 months ago and have been working to get everything in the tank established and happy. The previous owner gave me a couple extra rocks that were not in the tank and I am unsure of their history so am being cautious before using them. I have put this one in hydrogen peroxide for the last 3 days and took it out to use my microscope camera to see what it is still on it. I am sharing photos to get input about how to move forward to prepare this rock for my tank or if the stuff that is still on it should even be put in a tank. The rock was sitting in the previous owner’s driveway when I went to go pick up the tank and has been sitting on my bookcase out of water for the last two months. Thanks in advance for your experience and ideas.

BC20787F-C419-4580-A31C-AE9570B694A6.jpeg E03BAE55-86F5-492E-A04C-3CC47A92B0CC.jpeg 0A7D96FC-218D-49BB-A2EB-62710ADC6AF4.jpeg 0D1DA56B-B853-47AC-B71B-C7E697D16250.jpeg 3CF7695F-F4B8-41BC-8AEB-22DFE28CB0F1.jpeg

Bfragale

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If it’s been out of water- I would guess everything is dead.

concerns may be: any contamination on the rocks, also if they are old used rocks they could be holding phosphates that could release out of the rocks into your water. If you know there is no outside contamination you could dark cycle the rocks in a dark bin with new salt water, this should remove phosphates and start to accumulate beneficial bacteria.

but personally I have used used rocks, and in an established tank I just plop them in. But only rocks i know we’re not contaminated by some deadly chemical.

If the seller had rocks in driveway- my questions would be how long? Any chance they were sprayed with any chemicals like pesticides, cleansers, automotive chemicals etc.

I occasionally place rocks outside in the sun light to let things die off but I also ensure they stay “clean” from any chemicals.

Mr. Mojo Rising

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Personally I would bleach them for a week then let them sit in a bucket of saltwater for a few months. Add a powerhead and a tiny piece of rubble from the aquarium and then run some tests in a few months, if it looks good then use it.

OP
OP
lisadklein

lisadklein

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for your suggestion. Your patience is commendable which I understand is imperative in tanks. I am lucky my husband didn’t already plop the rock in so we shall search for a middle ground. Thanks again :)

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 141 88.1%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 9 5.6%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 7 4.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 1.9%
Back