question about putting rocks together

zapbap99

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
usually i just fit my rocks together and keep them sturdy in my tanks, for this reefer 170 i bought some of the rocks just wont stay of course, so i've heard aqua stone fix is trash, and glue isnt strong enough, i was thinking jb water weld, or some type of putty, i dont feel like drilling holes in these two particular rocks i like them how they are do not want to crack them. any suggestions on some putty or just go for jb weld

Big G

captain dunsel
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This Screen Shot 2020-01-13 at 2.46.11 PM.png +
Screen Shot 2018-09-29 at 9.45.46 AM.png
+
Screen Shot 2020-01-13 at 2.46.11 PM.png

Works pretty good. Apply SG to each rock surface you want to join. Mix the Apoxie Sculpt 50/50 into a big enough shape to cushion between the two rock surfaces. Push together. If you want an "instant" set, use a super glue accelerator like this. It will harden the SG almost instantly. Works best if the rocks are dry or almost dry.
Screen Shot 2020-01-13 at 2.51.44 PM.png

jcolliii

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Water weld work great, I have never once had any issue with toxicity, and can be found locally at menards/lowes/home dumpster. And it's pretty cheap. Make a superglue-epoxy-superglue ball after you have a good idea where your rocks are going, put them together, zip tie, wait til set. I also use gorilla glue (yep, the regular syrupy brown one). It expands and fills in gaps nicely, locking things very tghtly together... and is super strong. I've used it for 4 scapes now over 10 years, and have never had a problem. I have always taken the precaution of running quite a bit of carbon for the first few weeks, but there generally aren't corals in a freshly set up tank anyhow. I do let it thoroughly cure for *at least* 24 hours before water. I've kept acroporas, chalices, softies.

A worm with high fashion and practical utility: Have you ever kept feather dusters in your reef aquarium?

• I currently have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 79 38.2%
  • Not currently, but I have had feather dusters in my tank in the past.

Votes: 69 33.3%
  • I have not had feather dusters, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 26 12.6%
  • I have no plans to have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 31 15.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.0%
Back