Question about salt levels

Joshua Agostoni

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So my tank normal sits at about 1.022 to 1.023 salt. I just mixed a 30 gallon batch for a water change and it's reading 1.027 I want to get my tank to sit at 1.024 to 1.026

Will my fish be okay of I use those batch at 1.027 I feel that if I add this to the 1.022 water I have it will raise the salt level and equal out.

Instigate

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would reduce the salinity to match your tank. And if I wanted to up the salinity in the tank I would just keep topping off with saltwater until I reach the desired level. Would be safer for the fish imo.

Maggie321

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would reduce the salinity to match your tank. And if I wanted to up the salinity in the tank I would just keep topping off with saltwater until I reach the desired level. Would be safer for the fish imo.
Yes. This way it is not a fast change in the salinity. When you top off with salt it changes it much slower with the same result. Just check your salinity frequently to be sure where you need to stop and switch back to plain RODI water.

OP
OP
J

Joshua Agostoni

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Can't do rodi water I have the system but the water bill will be yo high for my parents.

TangingOut

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you're in this hobby, you need to be able to offset the water bill and just pay your parents the difference monthly. It's cheaper in the long run than buying top off water or pre-mixed from your LFS and who wants to lug around jugs of water?

As far as your water change, we don't know how much it'll change your salinity because we don't know how much water you're changing.

TangingOut

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is there a reason why you're doing such a big water change?

I would just use the 30 gal to change 10 gal every 2-3 days. That will give you a nice gradual raise over about one week. Be sure to do normal RODI top offs the whole time.

OP
OP
J

Joshua Agostoni

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is there a reason why you're doing such a big water change?

I would just use the 30 gal to change 10 gal every 2-3 days. That will give you a nice gradual raise over about one week. Be sure to do normal RODI top offs the whole time.
Yeah I do a 30 gallon cause I don't have time throughout the week to do 2 or 3 10 percent so i do one big one every month my nitrate never go above 20ppm this way and my fish seem fine. Can't to the rodi cause it will raise my parents water bill to much and I don't have the extra money to pay it for them. I'm saving to get my own house so once that happens around August of next year ill be setting my whole system up to run on rodi.

Maggie321

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For real. Do the math... find out what your water district charges and I think you'll realize it doesn't change the water bill that much. Ours is like 500 gallons for $1. Most of the bill is admin fees, service fees and taxes. In fact we have a minimum charge we don't hardly ever hit with 5 people in the house. So if you make 30 g of RODI your likely wasting 120 gallons to waste water approximately. So total that and there's 150 gallons of water used. Give your parents $10 and you will likely be paying 1/4th of the water bill.

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 43 35.0%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 27 22.0%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 9 7.3%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 9 7.3%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 31 25.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.3%

Back