Question About Scrubbing Algae

Joe Tony

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just had a question about what actually happens when you scrub hair algae, diatoms, and other forms of nuisance microalgae off of your rock and glass. Does scrubbing the stuff kill the algae, in which case it turns into nitrates, phosphates, iron, and the other nutrients it fed on? Or does scrubbing it simply disperse the microalgae colonies into their microscopic members, in which case the algal cells live on to find new parts of the tank to perch on.

The question is relevant in regards to having macroalgae, or corals whose zooxanthelae definitely need some nitrate/phosphate. If scrubbing the algae kills it, then its competitors would presumably absorb some of those nutrients. But if it just spreads the microalgae to other parts of the tank, then there's the risk of it perching on said macroalgae, coral, etc.

Thoughts?

lapin

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes scrubbing algae covered rock in the tank can spread it, if its not siphoned out.

mdb_talon

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think a generally safe answer is "both". Some will likely be caught in filter socks or otherwise inhospitable places and die. In other cases it may settle in a hospitable area and thrive.

Ippyroy

Defeater of Dinos
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Both things will happen. If at possible I find it best to remove the rock and scrub it inside of saltwater that I removed for my water change. Another popular method is to attach the brush with a zip tie or rubber band to the python and run the hose into a filter sock. As you are scrubbing most of the algae will be sucked into the python and collected in the filter sock. Immediately upon finish replace the filter sock.

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 72 86.7%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 5 6.0%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 3 3.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 3.6%
Back