Question about the non-hatchable decap brine shrimp eggs off the shelf

Levinson

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Please excuse me for asking what might be a dumb question.
Is the non-hatchable decap brine shrimp eggs off the shelf (the stuff you can find almost anywhere), as good or bad as most other dry feed in terms of water pollution? (assuming their nutritional values are similar).
Is it just another dead organic matter that would decompose as soon as you put it into the tank, as quickly as other dry feed in an aquarium? Or is it any different compared to other dry feed (water pollution wise)?

If feeding newly hatched live brine shrimp to baby fish/inverts was not an option, would feeding the non-hatchable decap brine shrimp eggs pollute water slower than say, flake food or will it be similar?

ichthyogeek

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would imagine that it would decompose at the same rate. Dead food is...well, dead.

Now what would be interesting would be feeding decapsulated brine shrimp eggs that have the potential to hatch, in order to "autofeed" of sorts.

OP
OP
Levinson

Levinson

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would imagine that it would decompose at the same rate. Dead food is...well, dead.

Now what would be interesting would be feeding decapsulated brine shrimp eggs that have the potential to hatch, in order to "autofeed" of sorts.
Thanks, I should have expected it to be that way.
Yeah hatchable decap brine eggs would be very handy. Hatch and get eaten or get eaten as is. No shells, no mess. I know you can decap on your own with bleach but it would be nice if they sold hatchable decap eggs. Is there such a thing? I wonder why they aren't sold like that more.

ichthyogeek

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks, I should have expected it to be that way.
Yeah hatchable decap brine eggs would be very handy. Hatch and get eaten or get eaten as is. No shells, no mess. I know you can decap on your own with bleach but it would be nice if they sold hatchable decap eggs. Is there such a thing? I wonder why they aren't sold like that more.
They do. They're just more expensive. Here ya go:

Shell-Free EZ Egg

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 16 39.0%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 12 29.3%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 6 14.6%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 7 17.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back