Question about TOS, YouTube, Membership, and Branding

ichthyogeek

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
With a few specific exceptions (see sponsor section), participants may not use the Forum for commercial gain.

This is from the Terms of Service. As a member who’s interested in starting a YouTube (YT) channel, as well as a personal brand related to aquariums, I’m wondering where the line gets drawn when it comes to this. I have not personally done any of the following, but I am curious about what is and is not allowed.

Once you have fulfilled some requirements on YT, you become eligible for monetization of the videos you make. Similarly, due to the weird ad revenue rules, some YT’ers use services including Patreon, and KoFi, where people can pay/tip them money for the content they provide. And with each view (I think), you can get money. Which seems like a violation of the TOS? Since if you direct people to your monetized channel, then you get paid. So where does the line get drawn when it comes to situations like this?

Similarly, let’s say I use my username (ichthyogeek), as a brand and start selling something like live food cultures on a separate platform like AquaBid. People ask me questions about my product, which I answer on this forum, but I don’t explicitly state that I have stuff for sale except in the sales forum. My brand (Ichthyogeek) is associated with who I am, but does that count as a business?

Alternatively, I’m a big fan of using google docs to share information. Explicitly, because it does not have the functionality for ads. A personal website could run ads, and by directing users to the website, they gain ad revenue. But with the google drive situation, let’s say that I ask for a kofi tip in order to compensate me for the work that I have done (ex, comparing salt brands requires reaching out to companies, compiling them into a spreadsheet, and other stuff, all of which involve my time, which is money). Is that allowed?

Mostly I’m just confused about where lines get drawn. I want to make sure that whatever my course of action is, in the future (it could be starting the next capitalist empire, or even just having this as a pipe dream), I’m in good standing as a part of the forum, whether that be as a sponsor, or as a member.

Edit: And yes, I know a good way to “get around” any loopholes would be to just not have the member name be the brand/channel name (I also really like the name PisciNerd....), but like....people are smart.

Last edited:

Crabs McJones

I'm so shi-nay
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is something you'll want to contact @revhtree and @Daniel@R2R on as far as clarification on the rules and what is and isn't allowed. I appreciate you posting this though. Most would lie and try to hide it.

OP
OP
ichthyogeek

ichthyogeek

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is something you'll want to contact @revhtree and @Daniel@R2R on as far as clarification on the rules and what is and isn't allowed. I appreciate you posting this though. Most would lie and try to hide it.
Would it be possible to have the final outcome be in this thread? That way other users can benefit from the info?

Crabs McJones

I'm so shi-nay
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Would it be possible to have the final outcome be in this thread? That way other users can benefit from the info?
That would be their call, but I personally dont see why not :)

Daniel@R2R

Living the Reef Life
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
This is a question specifically for @revhtree. I'll be sure he sees the thread. :)

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Are you trying to confuse me or what? :p I'll do my best to answer the questions.

With a few specific exceptions (see sponsor section), participants may not use the Forum for commercial gain.

This is from the Terms of Service. As a member who’s interested in starting a YouTube (YT) channel, as well as a personal brand related to aquariums, I’m wondering where the line gets drawn when it comes to this. I have not personally done any of the following, but I am curious about what is and is not allowed.

Once you have fulfilled some requirements on YT, you become eligible for monetization of the videos you make. Similarly, due to the weird ad revenue rules, some YT’ers use services including Patreon, and KoFi, where people can pay/tip them money for the content they provide. And with each view (I think), you can get money. Which seems like a violation of the TOS? Since if you direct people to your monetized channel, then you get paid. So where does the line get drawn when it comes to situations like this?

For this we do allow Youtubers to post their content here as long as it is embedded. Members can watch the videos here and then decide to subscribe or watch more content on youtube. As long as the content posted here is not commercial in nature, like "buy the best fish food", then it's not a problem. We feel like it's a fair trade for the content being posted here.

Similarly, let’s say I use my username (ichthyogeek), as a brand and start selling something like live food cultures on a separate platform like AquaBid. People ask me questions about my product, which I answer on this forum, but I don’t explicitly state that I have stuff for sale except in the sales forum. My brand (Ichthyogeek) is associated with who I am, but does that count as a business?

This is different and would not be allowed. The reason is we have to protect the relationships we have with our paying sponsors. It's only fair to them.

Alternatively, I’m a big fan of using google docs to share information. Explicitly, because it does not have the functionality for ads. A personal website could run ads, and by directing users to the website, they gain ad revenue. But with the google drive situation, let’s say that I ask for a kofi tip in order to compensate me for the work that I have done (ex, comparing salt brands requires reaching out to companies, compiling them into a spreadsheet, and other stuff, all of which involve my time, which is money). Is that allowed?

This would also not be allowed because you would be directing members away from our community to get information for profit. Organic links to other sites are permitted but when people are directed away from R2R purposely for commercial or other reasons, other than just sharing info, then it becomes a violation of the TOS.

Mostly I’m just confused about where lines get drawn. I want to make sure that whatever my course of action is, in the future (it could be starting the next capitalist empire, or even just having this as a pipe dream), I’m in good standing as a part of the forum, whether that be as a sponsor, or as a member.

Edit: And yes, I know a good way to “get around” any loopholes would be to just not have the member name be the brand/channel name (I also really like the name PisciNerd....), but like....people are smart.

Thank you for the questions and I hope I have clarified enough. I will also add that depending on the "service" you offer we have and will entertain trades in service that benefits our community. Believe this or not it's not always about the almighty dollar for us. We have arranged many "service trades" in the past in lieu of money changing hands. We have some that are active today as well. :)

OP
OP
ichthyogeek

ichthyogeek

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is a question specifically for @revhtree. I'll be sure he sees the thread. :)
Thanks! I also have a few ideas that I think might be fair (although I'm biased)
Are you trying to confuse me or what? :p I'll do my best to answer the questions.

For this we do allow Youtubers to post their content here as long as it is embedded. Members can watch the videos here and then decide to subscribe or watch more content on youtube. As long as the content posted here is not commercial in nature, like "buy the best fish food", then it's not a problem. We feel like it's a fair trade for the content being posted here.

This is different and would not be allowed. The reason is we have to protect the relationships we have with our paying sponsors. It's only fair to them.

This would also not be allowed because you would be directing members away from our community to get information for profit. Organic links to other sites are permitted but when people are directed away from R2R purposely for commercial or other reasons, other than just sharing info, then it becomes a violation of the TOS.

Thank you for the questions and I hope I have clarified enough. I will also add that depending on the "service" you offer we have and will entertain trades in service that benefits our community. Believe this or not it's not always about the almighty dollar for us. We have arranged many "service trades" in the past in lieu of money changing hands. We have some that are active today as well. :)
Awesome, that answers all of my questions, thanks!

Mastering the art of locking and unlocking water pathways: What type of valves do you have on your aquarium plumbing?

• Ball valves.

Votes: 73 51.8%
  • Gate valves.

Votes: 72 51.1%
  • Check valves.

Votes: 36 25.5%
  • None.

Votes: 31 22.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 6.4%
Back