Question about TTM?

Zbutcher

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey just curious, but if you were to do TTM I assuming that it just clears the fish of ich and not the tank of ich since it's not running fallow?

Thanks

Silent

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Which tank, the DT or the QT?
Yes it just break the cycle. You need to disinfect the tank after each transfer.

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
But a related point is valid - if you pull fish from your DT because they have ich, and run a TTM on them, (and disinfect the QTs after each use) in theory, you need to keep them out of the DT for the full fallow period.

Jay

mr fishy 3000

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just started the TTM on my emperor angel and bluespine unicorn tang. Here is my set up. How does it look? I am doing every 72 hours. Any tips and or suggestions? They all have there own everything.
vinny

D59ACB2A-0B78-46D6-9C34-78092B6B6E3B.jpeg E09B40E2-8736-4333-B432-2686DBCCFEA9.jpeg C1545BE1-F141-4292-8E34-F6ACC42D619F.jpeg 1203C047-F9F1-414B-BFE3-F66E224F09A5.jpeg

Obsessed

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not sure you will get away with that little of water without seeing ammonia IMO before the 3 days are up

Hugh Mann

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not a lot of water, so I would recommend dosing prime or some other ammonia detoxifier.

Also, for TTM, remember, a single droplet of water can carry over a free swimmer. I tried it and failed to rid a Hippo Tang of ich. Do whatever you can to minimize the water transferred over, keep the buckets as far apart as possible.

mr fishy 3000

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not sure you will get away with that little of water without seeing ammonia IMO before the 3 days are up
Your right I was planning on dosing it every 2 days. I estimate it’s about 2.5 gallons and I was going to put 10 gallons worth of ammonia detox in it.

mr fishy 3000

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not a lot of water, so I would recommend dosing prime or some other ammonia detoxifier.

Also, for TTM, remember, a single droplet of water can carry over a free swimmer. I tried it and failed to rid a Hippo Tang of ich. Do whatever you can to minimize the water transferred over, keep the buckets as far apart as possible.
Ok. What if I put on opposite sides of room? And both these buckets are on the same day and where put together at the same time. So would that mean that would matter still?

Hugh Mann

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Opposite sides of the room would be fine. The general suggestion is a minimum of 10 feet.

If you think the buckets were potentially contaminated, wet hands, tubing, a splash, hydrometer, then I'd dump the one and mix up a fresh batch, and add an extra transfer to your protocol.

TTM is pretty easy on fish, compared to other treatments, but requires a lot more time on your part. Mostly spent sterilizing and washing everything and generally being super careful. Best of luck!

ichthyogeek

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
^^.
If the buckets are for the same "batch" of fish, then they can be in the same general vicinity of each other. BUT, if one bucket is for hour 0, and the second bucket is for hour 36, keep them FAR, FAR AWAY. I had the space, so I went ahead and just made a sick room for the 20H tank the fish were in. The saran wrap is a great touch though! And I was still paranoid about bringing in small airborn ich particles into the surrounding rooms...hmm, I wonder if there's a study about that....

Bleach is very much your friend. I used .5 (dry) cup per 5 gallons, and soaked everything for a good hour just in case. Oh, and stock up on hand moisturizer, bleach is not good when you already have dry hands from working in fish tanks.

Also, remember that you can shorten the in-tank time periods (i.e. 72->48 hours) as long as you keep the total time constant (total 13 days). So if you're paranoid like me about disease, you can just do transfers every 48 hours. And do a very short freshwater dip (really, it's basically a rinse) while you're at it because shocking tomites(?) is great.

Tamberav

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I usually just use totes and do about 10g in them for TTM so ammonia is less of a concern.

Careful with heaters in such small volume..sometimes the thermostats on some are not great and could overheat a bucket.

mr fishy 3000

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Opposite sides of the room would be fine. The general suggestion is a minimum of 10 feet.

If you think the buckets were potentially contaminated, wet hands, tubing, a splash, hydrometer, then I'd dump the one and mix up a fresh batch, and add an extra transfer to your protocol.

TTM is pretty easy on fish, compared to other treatments, but requires a lot more time on your part. Mostly spent sterilizing and washing everything and generally being super careful. Best of luck!
Thank you. I have moved them across the room. Do you think I would have better luck with 2 day or 3 day transfers.

mr fishy 3000

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I usually just use totes and do about 10g in them for TTM so ammonia is less of a concern.

Careful with heaters in such small volume..sometimes the thermostats on some are not great and could overheat a bucket.
The heaters are preset to 78°. So I am not as concerned about that. The biggest thing I am worried about is the sterilization. I used vinager for the first round yesterday and I might go back over with bleach just to be safe.

mr fishy 3000

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
^^.
If the buckets are for the same "batch" of fish, then they can be in the same general vicinity of each other. BUT, if one bucket is for hour 0, and the second bucket is for hour 36, keep them FAR, FAR AWAY. I had the space, so I went ahead and just made a sick room for the 20H tank the fish were in. The saran wrap is a great touch though! And I was still paranoid about bringing in small airborn ich particles into the surrounding rooms...hmm, I wonder if there's a study about that....

Bleach is very much your friend. I used .5 (dry) cup per 5 gallons, and soaked everything for a good hour just in case. Oh, and stock up on hand moisturizer, bleach is not good when you already have dry hands from working in fish tanks.

Also, remember that you can shorten the in-tank time periods (i.e. 72->48 hours) as long as you keep the total time constant (total 13 days). So if you're paranoid like me about disease, you can just do transfers every 48 hours. And do a very short freshwater dip (really, it's basically a rinse) while you're at it because shocking tomites(?) is great.
These buckets are for the same exact time. I started them both yesterday at 430 pm. That’s why I am as concerned about them being that close. Should I change rooms every transfer? I think I will end up doing every 48 hours just because I am putting all this work in I don’t want one stupid transfer to be too long and mess the whole process up. I sanitized with vinegar yesterday but I’m not sure how good of a job it did so I am probably going to go back over it today with bleach. How long was your freshwater dip? And how many did you do? Just one at the end of the treatment? Or one at the end of every transfer? Right now I have only seen 4 tomites on the emperor and 0 on the tang. I haven’t looked as closely at the tang as I have at the emperor. Thank you for your help.

Tamberav

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The heaters are preset to 78°. So I am not as concerned about that. The biggest thing I am worried about is the sterilization. I used vinager for the first round yesterday and I might go back over with bleach just to be safe.

I just have 2 sets of everything and let it fully dry. The fully drying is all I do. Sometimes I just put a fan on it.

mr fishy 3000

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I did freshwater dips during each transfer. They were usually less than 5 minutes long.
Would I be able to put both the fish back together for the next transfer in the same tank? Or would this be a bad idea? They are both on the same time.

ichthyogeek

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok my tang isn’t doing to good looks very stressed out and very scared. Would I still be able to do this on him?
Trust your gut. If you don't think a fish will last through a freshwater dip, then don't do it. My method relies on using a freshwater dip as a rinse, rather than an actual dip.

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 27 35.1%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 19 24.7%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 12 15.6%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 19 24.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back