Question about UV on AI Prime (not quite for reef...)

DracoKat

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I can't decide if this should go in lighting forum or general forum.. please move if in wrong area.

I have some old toys that's turned yellow over the decades and I want to Sunfade them to bring their white back, as well as to fade away pen marks and other blemishes. Sun here is poor and I can't keep them outside since i have no outdoor space.

I have an extra AI prime, and I am wondering if 110% UV light is as close to sunlight's UV I could get to achieve my goals? It's a semi odd question, I am not sure. Toy restorers are telling me to get UV Bulbs, but I am hoping AI Prime is a good choice. I know nothing about bulbs and its spectrums to understand the UV settings and such. Hope you all can help?

Spare time

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm not quite sure as it's not a very strong UV and will burn out on you or melt if kept at 110% for anything but a short duration. It would end up being a bit cheaper to get a dome lamp and a reptile UV bulb if you don't want to damage the prime

oreo54

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I can't decide if this should go in lighting forum or general forum.. please move if in wrong area.

I have some old toys that's turned yellow over the decades and I want to Sunfade them to bring their white back, as well as to fade away pen marks and other blemishes. Sun here is poor and I can't keep them outside since i have no outdoor space.

I have an extra AI prime, and I am wondering if 110% UV light is as close to sunlight's UV I could get to achieve my goals? It's a semi odd question, I am not sure. Toy restorers are telling me to get UV Bulbs, but I am hoping AI Prime is a good choice. I know nothing about bulbs and its spectrums to understand the UV settings and such. Hope you all can help?
Interesting subject..
Not sure why the link doesn't past. Just add https://

medium.com/@pueojit/a-look-into-the-yellowing-and-deyellowing-of-abs-plastics-db14b646e0ad

Spare time

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The UV in prime is not UV. It's just a color description.

It peaks around 408nm but I'm curious if that 8nm really makes much of a difference. Some of it is below 400 at least according to the brs graphs

OP
OP
DracoKat

DracoKat

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Interesting subject..
Not sure why the link doesn't past. Just add https://

medium.com/@pueojit/a-look-into-the-yellowing-and-deyellowing-of-abs-plastics-db14b646e0ad
that's what I want to try, exactly that. It's actually going on My Little Ponies- they have vinyl and not plastic. I have Volume 40 Cream (Hydrogen Peroxide cream) that I'll apply on the most effected age spots. Everyone says use sun or UV bulb. I figured bulb would be quicker with continuous light rather than less than 8 hours of the day if I get sun.

It peaks around 408nm but I'm curious if that 8nm really makes much of a difference. Some of it is below 400 at least according to the brs graphs

I am curious about that 8nm as well. I was trying to understand the lighting spectrum. I decided to try anyway, fashioning a foil-lined box. I set it at 80%, afraid that the bulb might burn/melt as someone said above. though 110% would probably be most effective?

Spare time

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
that's what I want to try, exactly that. It's actually going on My Little Ponies- they have vinyl and not plastic. I have Volume 40 Cream (Hydrogen Peroxide cream) that I'll apply on the most effected age spots. Everyone says use sun or UV bulb. I figured bulb would be quicker with continuous light rather than less than 8 hours of the day if I get sun.

I am curious about that 8nm as well. I was trying to understand the lighting spectrum. I decided to try anyway, fashioning a foil-lined box. I set it at 80%, afraid that the bulb might burn/melt as someone said above. though 110% would probably be most effective?

I just think it would be better to get a reptile dome kind of light and a UV bulb as you can just keep that on and not worry.

Lbrdsoxfan

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Instead of bothering with a reef light, try one of these.

Screenshot_20220813-200944.png

I see folks use them in the utoob vids on resto whatever.

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 35 31.3%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 26 23.2%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 21 18.8%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 30 26.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back