Question about what substances don't dissolve readily in seawater

Discussion in 'Reef Chemistry by Randy Holmes-Farley' started by Seawitch, Nov 25, 2018.

1. Seawitch

Seawitch Water, water everywhere, Staff Member R2R Supporter R2R Excellence Award Partner Member 2019 R2R Secret Santa Article Contributor Build Thread Contributor Article Administrator

Hi Doc:

My question is what can you put in a SW aquarium that won't dissolve and hurt the water quality. I assume PVC is okay because people use it in QTs and HTs.

What about gold? glass? precious stones? Anything else you can think of off the top of your head?

I know this is heresy, but I'd like to put something in my besides rock.

Thank you,

2. Coralreefer1

Coralreefer1 Well-Known Member

Gold, silver, pewter and anything that might rust or leach contaminants into your water, I would refrain from adding. PVC, silicone, acrylic glue, precious stones, glass, plastic and ceramic should be ok.

Seawitch likes this.
  3. Randy Holmes-Farley

Randy Holmes-Farley Reef Chemist Staff Member Team R2R R2R Supporter R2R Excellence Award Article Contributor Expert Contributor

Most types of plastic are ok. Polypropylene, polyethylene, etc.

Float glass may have tin issues. Other glass is ok. It releases a little silicate that is no concern.

Gold is fine. Many gems are ok, but not all minerals.

Wood is generally ok but will rot.

What do you want to do?

Raege and Seawitch like this.
  4. Seawitch

Seawitch Water, water everywhere, Staff Member R2R Supporter R2R Excellence Award Partner Member 2019 R2R Secret Santa Article Contributor Build Thread Contributor Article Administrator

Well, I have a friend who is a glass artist, so I was thinking about getting him to make me a little "treasure chest" made of glass and put some gold chains in it. I don't know what type of glass he uses.

Raege likes this.
  5. Seawitch

Dear Dr. @Randy Holmes-Farley , I resurrected this thread because following what you told me here, I wrote an article. And it turns out that most aquariums are made of *float* glass. And I don't know if the metal side of the glass is on the inside or outside. So, some inquiring minds would like to hear what you think, and specifically if you think it's something they should worry about. @Ron Reefman

Draft saved Draft deleted