Question: Bundle by Red Sea, Waterbox etc. or DIY and piece by piece equipment?

Bundle tank or DIY?

• Bundle (Red Sea, WB, etc.)

Votes: 7 58.3%
  • DIY (just bought a tank and did the rest yourself)

Votes: 5 41.7%

• Total voters

kred47

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey Everyone,

so I’m usually bored at work and I always think about the future reef aquarium I want, when I have my own house and settle down etc. I know I want a 250 gal plus reef but I always think about how I would put together a tank of that size. On one hand the Red Sea and water boxes are gorgeous at every detail and everything is there for you to just put together. On the other, I love building something from scratch and making it my own. So I can see building a stand, canopy, possibly a fish room, etc. and then getting equipment one by one could be a real experience. Wanted to see everyone’s opinion on this, what route they went and why. Thanks and looking forward to hearing your reefing stories!

shakacuz

hang loose, cuz
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
5   0   0
personally, i would go the DIY route. but these tank manufacturer companies are really top notch as well.

noobster

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
when deciding on something like that, think of the requirements for you upfront. ie. does it fit where i want it, does it/will it look good aesthetically, will the system be able to fit/do everything I want. will it fit my budget. will my SO get mad if i spend the next XX months building a new tank and fish room. etc.

The last thing you want to do is to start down one route and halfway thru realize you should have went the other route because it didn't meet your requirements.

PeterC99

Solarbenchmark.com
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Keep an open mind - Don’t lock yourself into anything.

It’s great to dream about that future build but it’s difficult to what’s best without knowing specifics.

Also future finances could change that build dramatically. Or Maybe a fellow reefer is selling a sweet used system at a great price. Keep an open mind about the future - you never know the opportunities that could be presented!

WVNed

The fish are staring at me with hungry eyes.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I enjoy building it myself so I would never consider a package deal.
I just redid my sump from 140 to 290 gallons. I didn't pitch the old one and buy a new one. I added on.
Now the 180 and 240 can run off it.
Some people build models that come in a box and snap together, others carve a piece of wood into something beautiful and some weld random metal pieces into something that works for them. Decide which you are and go with it.

When I built my system now the overreaching rule was nothing wet underneath anything that I have to clean or adjust in a dimly lit cabinet.
So I made something that fit that requirement in a well lit fish room.

jfoahs04

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey Everyone,

so I’m usually bored at work and I always think about the future reef aquarium I want, when I have my own house and settle down etc. I know I want a 250 gal plus reef but I always think about how I would put together a tank of that size. On one hand the Red Sea and water boxes are gorgeous at every detail and everything is there for you to just put together. On the other, I love building something from scratch and making it my own. So I can see building a stand, canopy, possibly a fish room, etc. and then getting equipment one by one could be a real experience. Wanted to see everyone’s opinion on this, what route they went and why. Thanks and looking forward to hearing your reefing stories!
Really depends on the person. The AIO is the easy choice for me because:

• I want a tank to be a focal point, but not a distraction. As much as I appreciate the work that goes into a good DIY setup, they don't always look great. Sometimes they can be downright messy looking. Extra equipment visible, plumbing, and wires all over the place, out-of-place stands and canopies, and mismatched parts can take away from what is otherwise a really nice reef (I've seen this plenty).
  • I'm not a DIYer or tinkerer. The only part of the tank I really want to really be messing with is the display - working on the rock scape, placing corals, carefully selecting fish, etc. I want to minimize the amount of time I spend on equipment and maximize the focus on the reef itself.
  • I want the tank to fit nicely into the room like it's designed to be there and AIO tanks generally fit this bill better (there are obviously some incredible exceptions to this - there are plenty on this forum).
So it's a pretty easy call for me. If I was more into DIY, my answer would be different.

Lyss

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think it depends on personal preference, how involved you want to get, and what you want to get out of it. I went w/a bundle and have been extremely happy. I personally like Waterbox, Red Sea, and the Cade systems a lot and when I upgrade will want a balance of being able to customize a bit in terms of equipment, but not having to build it all. That said, if you love building something from scratch then you might want to go that route to get the most out of it for yourself personally.

Tamberav

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think custom is the way to go for those with experience knowing exactly what they need and want (and have the money). You can get a sump to fit exact skimmers, you can get smaller more less noticeable overflows, color coordinated plumbing, a fancy sump.. .etc. It opens the door for custom tank dimensions. If you are good at building furniture or can afford to pay a furniture builder then the stand can almost be an art of work itself.

The best set ups that look like they belong in a show room are always top notch custom.

The pre-fab like waterbox and red sea are very convenient though and definitely good for those who may not be very savvy on custom.

I believe Cade is generally a step above the other pre-fabs.

shakacuz

hang loose, cuz
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
5   0   0
personally, i would go the DIY route. but these tank manufacturer companies are really top notch as well.
i do want to add: my current tank was my first ever reef tank, that i also did myself as well. never had experience cutting PVC pipes, gluing them, measuring, etc. but i did the research because i wanted to learn.

if OP likes to tinker, or work with their hands: i for sure continue to recommend going the DIY route. if OP has the money, and doesn't want to bother with a "project" - then go for the fabricated tanks/stands.

Rock solid aquascape: Does the weight of the rocks in your aquascape matter?

• The weight of the rocks is a key factor.

Votes: 10 8.9%
  • The weight of the rocks is one of many factors.

Votes: 41 36.6%
  • The weight of the rocks is a minor factor.

Votes: 33 29.5%
  • The weight of the rocks is not a factor.

Votes: 27 24.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 0.9%
Back