Question for the home wiring guru’s.

Bugeater281

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So my tank shocks me all the time. I’ve tried figuring out which piece of equipment is causing it(I suspect my return pump, but it’s less than a month old).

However I have some question concerning theory. It doesn’t shock me all the time. It’s pretty random. However my house is 50 years old, and I only have 2 wire wiring(and outlets). I wear my workbooks and stand on 2x4s anytime I stick my hand in the tank(sad I know). I think part of the issues is this room is the basement and cement flooring.

I’m about to run a new circuit to my aquarium area(Gcfi protected, the rest of the circuit will be daisychained of this first gcfi outlet).

My question is do you think this will fix the issues? I run brs titanium heaters(3 pronged).

I’m just slightly confused on the theory aspect, since the ground wiring technically just mounts at the neutral bus bar anyway, and my main panel is grounded to my water pipes.

KrisReef

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The only thing a GFI will do is trip and shut the circuit down. You need to figure out where the current is leaking and fix that.

Also, some people have managed to get shocked and not trip the GFI. I don't understand why but again, isolate the problem and add a gfi and ground to the tank! Be Safe

dank reefer

IG: dankreefer_IG
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Even if you are adding a GFI outlet, I would still find out what is causing the voltage getting into your tank. get yourself a volt meter and stick it in the tank and start unplugging 1 device at a time to determine what is causing it.

I was going to suggest instead of using a volt meter to remove your boots and mats and stick your finger while someone unplugs your stuff, but that seemed to cruel. lol

OP
OP
Bugeater281

Bugeater281

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I did some research, apparently if an outlet is wired backwards then the polarity on the electric equipment can be reversed causing shocks. May explain why my deep freeze shocks me if I touch the one metal exposed part on it. Time to investigate my wiring!

Dr. Dendrostein

Marine fish monthly
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I did some research, apparently if an outlet is wired backwards then the polarity on the electric equipment can be reversed causing shocks. May explain why my deep freeze shocks me if I touch the one metal exposed part on it. Time to investigate my wiring!
Reverse polarity, bummer

Dr. Dendrostein

Marine fish monthly
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Previous owners did a lot of shady wiring.
There's a tool you can buy at Home Depot or Lowe's hardware store you plug it into your outlet and it'll let you know reverse polarity, no ground or open short, I believe I would get one of those and check all your outlet

OP
OP
Bugeater281

Bugeater281

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There's a tool you can buy at Home Depot or Lowe's hardware store you plug it into your outlet and it'll let you know reverse polarity, no ground or open short, I believe I would get one of those and check all your outlet

Already confirmed with one of those. Got new wire ran for a new circuit for the aquarium already. Won’t be an issue much longer.

A worm with high fashion and practical utility: Have you ever kept feather dusters in your reef aquarium?

• I currently have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 65 37.1%
  • Not currently, but I have had feather dusters in my tank in the past.

Votes: 59 33.7%
  • I have not had feather dusters, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 25 14.3%
  • I have no plans to have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 26 14.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back