Question on Herbie Overflow

Kiet T. Nguyen

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi Guys,

I am new to overflow systems. Currently, I have a 55-gallon tank that has a DIY PVC pipe overflow that hangs over the edge. Learned how to make it from the King of DIY channel. I know that this overflow design is flawed and has a high chance of failure. Therefore this coming winter break, I am getting a used 75-gallon upgrade and wanted to put in Herbie styled overflow. Most commercial 75-gallon tanks have tempered bottoms, therefore I can't drill through the bottom. Would it be an issue if I drill through the back and use 90-degree elbows to create a Herbie (refer to picture below, sorry for poor drawing skills)? Also, what size diameter is appropriate, I will only be pushing around 400-600 GPH (freshwater planted tank). Any tips or advice is welcomed.

Thank you!

20181209_214524.jpg

Daimyo68

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Read into the BeanAnimal overflow system. It's silent, requires only 2 holes drilled if you want to build/install the overflows, 1 -3/4" return hole and failsafe.

You can use 1" pvc for your drains and it can flow way beyond what your looking to achieve.

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 99 86.1%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 8 7.0%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 5 4.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.6%
Back