Question on Tank Deminsions ~150g

Augus7us

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've been out of the reefing game and am looking to get back in. Its been about 7 years since I've read up on stuff and its amazing how much has changed, though some stuff still seems the same.

I'm sure I'll have a series of questions as I continue to research and look into changes. But, to start I want to ask about tank sizes and costs.

I want my dt to be somewhere in the 125g-150g range. I do not want an all in one setup, I will have a fish room for accessory tanks. However my big problem is that all tanks in that size range are usually 24" deep. I'm looking for something deeper without breaking the bank.

Is there a common tank in ~150g in size with overflows deeper than 24"? I'd like to keep my eye out for something used, if possible.

What is the ballpark cost of a custom 150g with overflows?

Thanks

fishguy242

Cronies..... INSERT BUILD THREAD BADGE HERE !!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
hi welcome to the reef ,glass or acrylic, lets ask @Joe Glass Cages ,i think he will steer you in right direction,good luck with your search:)

JayLu

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not an answer to your question, but I think a lot of people avoid deeper reef tanks due to reasons such as par reduction at the greater depths and more importantly sticking your arm in so deep and getting wet armpits.

OP
OP
Augus7us

Augus7us

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You know, I read my post a couple times and just now realized I used the term "deep" when I should have said "wide". I agree around 24" is about as deep as I want to go. I just want more width to the tank. 4' is plenty long for me but I would love something that is around 30" wide.

I did some more looking around and the IM 150 is pretty much what I'm looking for. With dimensions at 47.3” x 35.4” x 19.7”.

CMMorgan

Counting my blessings...
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey @Augus7us, Welcome to the fishy family! I agree that tall tanks are a bit of a waste... who ever saw a fish swim up and town? Deep front to back makes sense, as it gives you lots of room to create an aquascape. Good luck on the build!
Marco Antonio GIF by Realmatt

SaltISlife

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Only way youd get deeper is if you find one of the larger 1/4 corner tabk bowfronts.

My 92g corner bowfront is 36 inchs front to back. 4 feet wide point to point ( getting narrower the further back it goes obviously) and its 24 tall.

If you get the bigger corner tanks like the 100-125z130+ corners they will be even longer and deeper than what i mentioned.

Go to this link and chose an option and youll see the messurements on a chart. This is the only way youre going to get deeper (front to back) than 24 inchs on 150 gallons or less. Unless you get something custom made. Or thr one you found. But 19 inchs tall is pretty short to me.

Rock solid aquascape: Does the weight of the rocks in your aquascape matter?

• The weight of the rocks is a key factor.

Votes: 10 8.1%
  • The weight of the rocks is one of many factors.

Votes: 43 34.7%
  • The weight of the rocks is a minor factor.

Votes: 39 31.5%
  • The weight of the rocks is not a factor.

Votes: 31 25.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 0.8%
Back