Question on the tanaka/yellow banded possum wrasse?

durant

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do they look more like yellow banded wrasses when they're juvenile? I bought a tanaka wrasse online even had the latin name stated on the site (Wetmorella Tanakai)
and when I received it, it looked more like a yellow banded wrasse (wetmorella nigropinnata) however I noticed on it's body it has faint white striped that a tanaka would have. Couldn't find any info if they change colour as they mature besides a one or two comments on forum searches claiming they do
Hard to get a good photo of him but this is him:
IMG_2165.jpg.jpg

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do they look more like yellow banded wrasses when they're juvenile? I bought a tanaka wrasse online even had the latin name stated on the site (Wetmorella Tanakai)
and when I received it, it looked more like a yellow banded wrasse (wetmorella nigropinnata) however I noticed on it's body it has faint white striped that a tanaka would have. Couldn't find any info if they change colour as they mature besides a one or two comments on forum searches claiming they do
Hard to get a good photo of him but this is him:
IMG_2165.jpg.jpg
Actually, that is a juvenile Nigropinnata. The tanakai look identical to the adults just a bit cuter as juveniles.
The nigropinnata is still a beautiful species though! They just get a bit larger, and they’re easier :)

Dabcrusher

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You can tell the Tanaka will have a white stripe in its eye . I guess they kinda look similar mine don't maybe the shape . The tanakas I a decent amount more expensive and pretty hard to find

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 36 31.0%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 28 24.1%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 22 19.0%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 30 25.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back