Question on transferrin fish between tanks

Blakjax

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have been incredibly careful on my large tank (220 gallon) to ensure no disease makes it into the tank. I went through a fallow period and have quarantined all of the fish in the tank. They've been happy in the tank for about 3 months.

1 x yellow tang
2 x blue hippo tangs
1 x brown powder tang
1 x foxface rabbit fish
1 x coral beauty
1 x flame angel
5 x green chromis
1 x royal gamma
1 x blue spotted puffer
1 x long nose butterfly

I would like to add a sailfin tang from my smaller tank into the 220 because he is getting big and needs more space. He was quarantined prior me adding him to the smaller tank, but none of the other fish in the smaller tank were quarantined. The tank looks amazing and the fish are all happy with no signs of ich or any other disease. It's been up and running for about 18 months with no issues. There are other tangs in the tank and I would think that I one of them would have shown signs of ich if it was in the tank.

My question is - can I simply move him over to the larger tank with confidence that there won't be any outbreaks? I would prefer not to quarantine him again if I can avoid it.

Last edited:

DC Reefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am not sure what best practice is for this. The fish that were quarantined, were they QTed and medicated or just kept separately and watched for any signs of illness and or parasites? If they were only watched and not medicated I would think the non QTed fish have had just as good a QT as the QTed fish and I would be comfortable moving them over. I have moved fish I have had for years between tanks without worrying about QT.

Alchameth

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Healthy doesn't = ICH free... I learned that the hard way moving a fish from my cube into my 90G that was a few weeks out of a fallow period, without putting it through QT. ICH got back into my 90 and killed 4 fish. I'll never move a fish into my tank that's been fallow without putting it through QT, not worth the risk IMHO.

DC Reefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Healthy doesn't = ICH free... I learned that the hard way moving a fish from my cube into my 90G that was a few weeks out of a fallow period, without putting it through QT. ICH got back into my 90 and killed 4 fish. I'll never move a fish into my tank that's been fallow without putting it through QT, not worth the risk IMHO.
Agree, everything can look fine and ICH can be present. Does your QT process include medicating?

OP
OP
Blakjax

Blakjax

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am not sure what best practice is for this. The fish that were quarantined, were they QTed and medicated or just kept separately and watched for any signs of illness and or parasites? If they were only watched and not medicated I would think the non QTed fish have had just as good a QT as the QTed fish and I would be comfortable moving them over. I have moved fish I have had for years between tanks without worrying ab

OP
OP
Blakjax

Blakjax

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Agree, everything can look fine and ICH can be present. Does your QT process include medicating?
yes...all my fish that were quarantined went through cp prior to being added to the dt. The sailfin went through the same process but was added to a tank that had fish that were not quarantined.

Maks Reef

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Unfortunately there is just no way of knowing for sure. If in fact the ICH was eradicated from your 220, in order to keep it that way everything that you would like to add to that tank needs to be quarantined. Coral, macro algae, cleanup crew or other inverts.. Anything that has residual water from another source.

Keeping an aquarium ICH free is believed to be possible, however it's very challenging. You have to be incredibly strict with your practices, consistent, and well informed. Most people don't consider all of the possibilities in which it can be introduced to the tank.

I used to think that eradicating ICH was some type of right of passage in keeping fish alive and now I just don't think it is. I've learned over the years that spending more time on having good husbandry practices, feeding the right foods, and providing as healthy of an environment as possible have made the biggest difference for me. Although the ICH is more than likely present - as it is in most aquarium water - the fish are healthier and better conditioned to resist the pests.

Good luck with the move!

kenchilada

Palytoxin Abuser
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Throw a couple mollies in and wait. IMO your best bet unless you intend to quarantine the sailfin again. If all your fish in the 220 are quarantined, personally I would quarantine the sailfin.

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 135 88.2%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 9 5.9%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 6 3.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.0%
Back