Question on Trumpet Coral Color

RickLRMS

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve seen trumpet coral in several different colors, and thought about having a trumpet coral garden in my tank. But I was wondering: is the reason I see different colors (yellow, green, red, orange) because of differing water parameters? Or because of differing PAR values? Would they all end up the same color in my tank if kept on the same rock? Or would the color stay the same as they are when purchased (not that I’ve seen a lot of different color for sale, just different colors in pictures). Thanks!

BeltedCoyote

Philosopher king of the Memes
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No, just different varieties. Not sure if that means subspecies, different species, etc.

But they’ll keep their original colors. Mind you lighting might effect how vibrant the colors are but beyond that they won’t change

Upvote 0

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
I’ve seen trumpet coral in several different colors, and thought about having a trumpet coral garden in my tank. But I was wondering: is the reason I see different colors (yellow, green, red, orange) because of differing water parameters? Or because of differing PAR values? Would they all end up the same color in my tank if kept on the same rock? Or would the color stay the same as they are when purchased (not that I’ve seen a lot of different color for sale, just different colors in pictures). Thanks!
PAR and mainly Type of Light will change things and dont forget those who use color filters when taking pics

Upvote 0

BeltedCoyote

Philosopher king of the Memes
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
True. But a teal candy cane/trumpet won’t change into a neon green or a purple into a teal…etc. same sort of situation as you’ve got in plating montis. There are grafted. Solid red, solid orange, solid green, even purple. Parameters and nutrients will influence how vibrant the colors are, or if the corals have much color at all. But just like the trumpets, parameters, flow, etc won’t transform the strain

Upvote 0
OP
OP
RickLRMS

RickLRMS

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
True. But a teal candy cane/trumpet won’t change into a neon green or a purple into a teal…etc. same sort of situation as you’ve got in plating montis. There are grafted. Solid red, solid orange, solid green, even purple. Parameters and nutrients will influence how vibrant the colors are, or if the corals have much color at all. But just like the trumpets, parameters, flow, etc won’t transform the strain
That’s what I was hoping. They may not be as nice-looking as in the vendor picture because I may not be as adept at keeping my tank (I’m a newbie), but if things go reasonably well I’ll have a garden of different colored trump coral.

Upvote 0

Fusion in reefing: How do you feel about grafted corals?

• I strongly prefer grafted corals and I seek them out to put in my tank.

Votes: 3 4.7%
  • I find grafted corals appealing and would be open to having them in my tank.

Votes: 37 57.8%
  • I am indifferent about grafted corals and am not enthusiastic about having them in my tank.

Votes: 17 26.6%
  • I have reservations about grafted corals and would generally avoid having them in my tank.

Votes: 5 7.8%
  • I have a negative perception and would avoid having grafted corals in my tank.

Votes: 2 3.1%
Back