Question on use of Heterotrophic Bacteria

brandon429

why did you put a reef in that
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
the reason was asking for a work link is to see how it aligns with Taricha's studies on the mixes/sludge digestion work from the chem forum. if you've seen it actually work in a reef tank that's a very different outcome he got

any additive that works on cyano/diatoms/dinos other than chemiclean would be neat to feature on the site/if it works in actual link applications.

OP
OP
C

ClutchCityReefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Heterotrophic bacteria consume only organics, autotrophs can consume both inorganic or organic carbon sources.
Nitrification is done Autotrophs. Your red algae problem a special kind af autotroph, its a photoautrophic bacteria. so its auto to auto, not auto vs hetero . Basically in a reef environment a photoautropic bacteria will never be the limiting factor i, the cyano can survive on just light your autotrophs and heterotrophs cant.
Thanks @YOYOYOReefer, this makes some sense.

Sean Clark

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Shots fired
Excuse Me Reaction GIF by euphoria

OP
OP
C

ClutchCityReefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
the reason was asking for a work link is to see how it aligns with Taricha's studies on the mixes/sludge digestion work from the chem forum. if you've seen it actually work in a reef tank that's a very different outcome he got

any additive that works on cyano/diatoms/dinos other than chemiclean would be neat to feature on the site/if it works in actual link applications.
Makes sense. If it works for me I will certainly let you guys know (but I am pretty anal about manual removal nor am I proud of the cyano so it's not like I have any before pictures.

brandon429

why did you put a reef in that
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
no really just a collector of work threads that's all. I like to be able to separate marketing hype from patterned performance and *especially* to see if a doser can beat what we do in rip clean threads, which sets a mighty high bar for collected clean outcomes.

OP
OP
C

ClutchCityReefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I hear you, I am also curious to see how it works. Needless to say I already have chemiclean in my medicine cabinent but I want to see if the Waste Away can take care of it first or if it just snake oil and a wasted purchase.

OP
OP
C

ClutchCityReefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Interesting, the peer-reviewed research would indicate otherwise - or they're all just full of it which it sounds like is your position

and just to be clear I wasn't trying to fire any shots. Just trying to point to the articles I relied upon to form my opinion that the denitrifiers are autrophs while the "other stuff" are heterotrophs, which seems to be @YOYOYOReefer's position.

GARRIGA

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
do you think an airstone in the sump would have a similar effect? I'd rather put it in the sump (pump is supposed to be higher than the airstone and I'd have trouble finagling this in the display)...I'd also rather not mess with the powerheads as programming the mp40s was such a nightmare
Not sure an air stone in the sump will be sufficient but does depend on the air stone. The long wands used in aquaculture with a strong enough air pump to agitate the surface tension is what I would use. Need surface displacement to get oxygen/CO2 exchange. Air bubble by themselves do nothing.

OP
OP
C

ClutchCityReefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not sure an air stone in the sump will be sufficient but does depend on the air stone. The long wands used in aquaculture with a strong enough air pump to agitate the surface tension is what I would use. Need surface displacement to get oxygen/CO2 exchange. Air bubble by themselves do nothing.
Interesting, so sounds like I can use the air stone and hope but shouldn't really expect a meaningful impact. Considering I haven't had issues with oxygen before when dosing I doubt I will this time, I just wanted to do my due diligence and be as safe as possible. Thanks!

GARRIGA

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My understanding is that the heterotrophic bacteria (not the denitrifiers) consume Phosphate and nitrates so you actually need a skimmer to remove the bacteria from the water column to export the nutrients.
Heterotrophic bacteria are the denitrifiers that just need an anoxic environment which consist of bound oxygen (nitrates/Sulfates) and devoid of dissolved oxygen. heterotrophic bacteria will consume organics in the presence and absence of oxygen. Organics in the form of carbons but they break down all decaying matter.

Autotrophic bacteria require DO to consume Ammonia and Nitrites. BTW, Heterotrophic convert nitrates to nitrites then nitrogen and why they also consume nitrites or technically require the bound oxygen. What I don't fully understand is how phosphates are removed via carbon dosing other than all life forms require phosphorous.

Last edited:
OP
OP
C

ClutchCityReefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Interesting. Are the phototropic bacteria a factor in a typical reef tank or would it not be a factor for me without a deep sand bed? I didn't think I provided the conditions for an anoxic environment (I hope not).

When you say autorophic bacteria require DO, do you mean dissolved oxygen? Sorry, a bit of a newb here...

GARRIGA

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Interesting. Are the phototropic bacteria a factor in a typical reef tank or would it not be a factor for me without a deep sand bed? I didn't think I provided the conditions for an anoxic environment (I hope not).

When you say autorophic bacteria require DO, do you mean dissolved oxygen? Sorry, a bit of a newb here...
Yes. DO is dissolved oxygen.

Typo on phototrophic. No clue what that is. Meant to say heterotrophic.

Don't need a deep sand bed. I think those are more headache than benefit. I prefer to create an anoxic environment by increased contact time to allow nitrification to fully exhaust DO and create an anoxic zone. This can be done one of two ways. Large biological media or slow flow. Preferably both. We've been consitioned to think tank turnover is the prerequisit to filtration and I've found that contact time more efficient at resolving nutrients. Tank turnover best handled by DT pumps in my opinion. Rather have my filtration have extended contact time to fully handle that task versus waiting for much of it to pass through and wait for it to return later.

Back