Question please

alddb

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok so I have a puffer, lion, panther grouper, Angel and trigger in a 150 gallon tank.
The grouper and puffer started to rub in sand and flash. So we got prazipro to treat.
First treatment was last Thursday. The lion had a bad reaction and had to be pulled within 5 min (gasping for air, floating upside down). Did ok in bucket. Put him back next day and was fine.
Everyone at that time was great. Eating, swimming. Did a water change on Sunday and added carbon to the socks.
Last night the puffer began rubbing again in the sand. Refused to eat. Staying at bottom of tank.
This morning we found the grouper dead.
Water tested. 1.027 salt. 8.0 ph, zero ammonia, nitrite and nitrates. We had 10 nitrates until Sunday when we added the carbon.
I again treated with prazipro today. I went slower, adding the amount of 140 gallons over a 3 hour time frame. Nobody reacted today off. So nobody was pulled.
Now tonight the puffer has a cloudy eye. He is staying curled in a ball under a rock. Every so often he comes out and swims but refusing to eat. The lion is laying on bottom of tank quiet. Swam very little today.
Both have rapid breathing.
The Angel is refusing to eat.
Anything else I can try? I have melafix here but read not to mix the meds.

thanks

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Prazipro only treats for flukes, and the rapid breathing can also point to other diseases. I will always do a diagnostic freshwater dip if I suspect flukes, so that I know what I’m dealing with. You could try that on the puffer.
Can you post any pictures of the fish? A short video would also help.
Jay

gentlefish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The rapid progression and death is concerning for velvet. Do you QT? When was the last thing in? All info helps, but you will likely have to prepare for hospital tank and be prepared for copper.

OP
OP
A

alddb

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It’s not velvet or ich. No spots. They are not swimming in the power heads. They are not discolored. I had ich before and this is not that. They all ate two days ago. were flashing, scratching their heads in the sand. Signs of flukes. We watched videos of flukes and they were doing exactly what was shown with flukes. When we did first treatment they were a lot better 24 hours later. Showed signs of rapid breathing then also. But no cloudy eyes. I pulled the lion due to the stress within 5 min of treatment tho and placed him in a bucket. So he wasn’t really treated at all. Then returned him 24 hours later into the tank. I’m assuming he still had flukes which resulted in the tank being reinfected plus the eggs are hatching. It is day 6 since first treatment.
Now on the 2nd treatment and the puffers one eye is cloudy.

I just checked on them. Both breathing heavy. But quiet. I will video them in morning if still with us. I’m hoping it will be like first treatment and we will wake up to them better.

I can do the FW dip tomorrow. I will have a second set of eyes for help. I just worry that will just stress them more than needed. I know they are stressed now.

I do garlic/vitamin soaks every three days on their frozen food.

nobody been added past 5 weeks. This just began last week.

OP
OP
A

alddb

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Forgot to mention. The Angel had the white long stringy poop. Sign of flukes. She no longer has it since first treatment.
She has been hanging around in the corner yesterday/today but then tonight she was out swimming around. So she’s feeling better

Its just the lion and puffer we are worried about now

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Stringy feces isn’t a sign of flukes, so there may be multiple issues here. If it is flukes,FW dips will buy you some time, and is a useful diagnostic tool. Many flukes are egg layers, so multiple treatments are required in order to kill new flukes as they hatch.
Jay

OP
OP
A

alddb

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This morning all fish are still alive. Looking at the lion he has white spots on his one side of body. I have not seen them before. He also has a slime layer that I can see coming off (like a cobweb). My trigger which is dark blue has no dots. My puffer is hiding in back. I can’t obtain a photo until he comes out. The Angel has no dots.

I did a lot of reading online. It said flukes signs are flashing, rubbing into sand, heavy breathing, cloudy eyes and stringy white poop. After first treatment, all the fish but the lion were 99% better after 24 hours. The lion I had to pull out after 5 min due to stress. I put the lion back after 24 hours. Did a water change at day 3 and added carbon to sump and UV was back on. Everyone was swimming around normal and eating Sunday. No more long stringy poop. Monday night the puffer began rubbing in the sand again and flashing as the grouper was. Refused to eat. Tuesday found grouper dead. Took out carbon Tuesday and retreated. I went slower this time instead of dumping it all at once like first time. Lion didn’t react like first time so left him in tank. Tuesday night the puffer had one cloudy eye.

as of last night after last treatment, nobody is rubbing in sand or flashing anymore.

I’m thinking because the lion was pulled right after 1st treatment, if he was infected, that could be why plus the eggs hatching to get them again. I know I may have to treat one more time yet. The puffer rubbing in the sand May of irritated the eye.

water still 8.0 ph, zero ammonia zero nitrites. Nitrates 0-10. Temp 79. Salt 1.027

But now I see white spots. Could be just the fish. I know he is stressed out.

Attachments

• F23E7FFA-52BC-49BA-969A-009450252B20.jpeg
    F23E7FFA-52BC-49BA-969A-009450252B20.jpeg
    133 KB · Views: 21
  • IMG_3937.MOV
    12.9 MB
OP
OP
A

alddb

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This morning all fish are still alive. Looking at the lion he has white spots on his one side of body. I have not seen them before. He also has a slime layer that I can see coming off (like a cobweb). My trigger which is dark blue has no dots. My puffer is hiding in back. I can’t obtain a photo until he comes out. The Angel has no dots.

I did a lot of reading online. It said flukes signs are flashing, rubbing into sand, heavy breathing, cloudy eyes and stringy white poop. After first treatment, all the fish but the lion were 99% better after 24 hours. The lion I had to pull out after 5 min due to stress. I put the lion back after 24 hours. Did a water change at day 3 and added carbon to sump and UV was back on. Everyone was swimming around normal and eating Sunday. No more long stringy poop. Monday night the puffer began rubbing in the sand again and flashing as the grouper was. Refused to eat. Tuesday found grouper dead. Took out carbon Tuesday and retreated. I went slower this time instead of dumping it all at once like first time. Lion didn’t react like first time so left him in tank. Tuesday night the puffer had one cloudy eye.

as of last night after last treatment, nobody is rubbing in sand or flashing anymore.

I’m thinking because the lion was pulled right after 1st treatment, if he was infected, that could be why plus the eggs hatching to get them again. I know I may have to treat one more time yet. The puffer rubbing in the sand May of irritated the eye.

water still 8.0 ph, zero ammonia zero nitrites. Nitrates 0-10. Temp 79. Salt 1.027

But now I see white spots. Could be just the fish. I know he is stressed out.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    204.3 KB · Views: 16

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ah, I couldn't get the video to play. Sometimes, these videos show me nothing, but once in a while they give me really good insight as to what is going on....you could try posting to YouTube and then putting the link up here.

Jay

OP
OP
A

alddb

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ah, I couldn't get the video to play. Sometimes, these videos show me nothing, but once in a while they give me really good insight as to what is going on....you could try posting to YouTube and then putting the link up here.

Jay

Hoping that works

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That worked, thanks. The lion is breathing deeper than normal, and a bit fast at around 70 bpm. The eyes look a bit glassy to me, and those spots along the back are something, not sure what.
How many prazipro treatments have you run? I go with 3, with really good aeration, one week apart. The lion fish shouldn’t have reacted badly with prazi, I wonder if it was just low dissolved oxygen? Another thing that can happen with flukes is if there are too many, the prazi kicks them all off at once, and the fish then go anemic due to blood loss...no way around that teally.
Jay

OP
OP
A

alddb

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That worked, thanks. The lion is breathing deeper than normal, and a bit fast at around 70 bpm. The eyes look a bit glassy to me, and those spots along the back are something, not sure what.
How many prazipro treatments have you run? I go with 3, with really good aeration, one week apart. The lion fish shouldn’t have reacted badly with prazi, I wonder if it was just low dissolved oxygen? Another thing that can happen with flukes is if there are too many, the prazi kicks them all off at once, and the fish then go anemic due to blood loss...no way around that teally.
Jay
Im on my second treatment now. But as I said the first the lion really wasn’t treated at all being I had to take him out. I am assuming I will need to do one of two more after this.

I pointed all 3 return nozzles to surface and added two air stones to tank for oxygen.

first treatment I did all at once. Second treatment I did it slowly over 3 hours. Started at 80 gallons treated. 2 hours later another 40 gallons and then an hour later last dose doe

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 34 44.2%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 19 24.7%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 22 28.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 2.6%
Back