Question regarding a sale I made through this forum. I want to be fair and do whats right but need input

OP
OP
C

christwendt

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Many of you are missing the fact that the seller specifically told the buyer that if the piece did not color back up, he would do something for him. We aren't talking about the DOA anymore. The seller should have just stuck with the DOA policy, but he made a new promise instead.
I'm a very nice person and it has bit me in the butt at times. Altho I did say that it was after the DOA, and then after him saying he would be willing to take the hit if something happened. He said that after denying my wish to have him pick it up at a fed ex location because it was 30 mins away.

OP
OP
C

christwendt

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I buy things from hobbyists all the time. DOA means on arrival, not two months later. Customer satisfaction is a good to maintain however. If you made a good margin on that mushroom and have another, maybe you could negotiate a replacement at a reduced price.
I would but i'm done shipping corrals. It was such a head ache and now i'm dealing with this.

Cell

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm a very nice person and it has bit me in the butt at times. Altho I did say that it was after the DOA, and then after him saying he would be willing to take the hit if something happened. He said that after denying my wish to have him pick it up at a fed ex location because it was 30 mins away.

This is probably one of those times. $100 seems a small price to clear the conscience and move on from the drama. You had ample opportunity to get out unscathed, but chose to make a new promise instead. But being nice is ultimately a GREAT thing, so I wouldn't feel too bad.

OP
OP
C

christwendt

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
This is probably one of those times. $100 seems a small price to clear the conscience and move on from the drama. You had ample opportunity to get out unscathed, but chose to make a new promise instead. But being nice is ultimately a GREAT thing, so I wouldn't feel too bad.
I sent him 75$. He gave me 450. shipping was 85$ and now the 75$. I feel like thats fair and what I was going to get local for the corral

OP
OP
C

christwendt

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Right on in all fairness I did get a really good frag i just put mine through gauntlet of issues first 6 months or so. Feels like its starting acclimate and settle in now since I got things stable.
And thats exactly where mine likes to sit under the light. Right on the edge of it around 50-75 par in my system.
I can see it getting some yellow. It could be the intial issues affected it but I hope it colors up. One of my favorites haha

OP
OP
C

christwendt

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Two months is NOT a DOA (upon arrival) warranty. I owned a full line retail pet store and I gave a 7 day warranty and went beyond 2-3 days. . . not 2-3 weeks. I also REQUIRED a water sample which I tested to see if their tank had a problem.
After 2 months and not knowing his husbandry skills and state of his tank - Do Nothing. OR . Offer 25% off a coral next time IF he wishes.
There is No One I can think of that would make an adjustment at this point of time. You did your duty as a seller IMO
Appreciate all the input from everyone. Had i not said I would do something if it didn't color back up then I wouldnt do anything. I'm just nice and it bites me sometimes. Next time IF i ever ship i will stick to DOA policy so this doesn't happen again.

LRT

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hope he sends the $75 back when it colors up! Very good of you but ill be honest ive probably bought 100 shrooms in last yr and a half. Some detach, some lose color, some take forever to acclimate, some love lamp, some hate it, some want high nutrient levels some don't, some love flow, some ball and jelly up and float away just thinking about wavemakers.
And when tank is not stable and healthy most show you your behind you lose most.
Believe me I know ive lost more in bounce shrooms this last year than I spent on my recent entire 2 tank upgrade. I think people get the wrong impression about shrooms. They can be just as finicky if not more than any other coral. Sure just like any coral they can also be forgiving especially the shrooms that have been around for awhile taking abuse.

Cook

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I can tell you that I made a local purchase of a magic carpet and it completely melted away in my tank within 5 days. I let the seller know it happened, but I did not ask for anything back, he handed me a clearly very healthy mushroom at the time of sale. Before this I thought that mushrooms were more hardy than than they really are. Corals like these are expensive for a reason and in my opinion it is a gamble that comes along with the price tag. Glad you worked things out with your buyer.

Patman

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It was pretty instant for the color. I think I got one with good genetics or something? It's full of huge hairs that are very bright. Par I'm not sure now as its getting shaded as more corrals grow now but it's on the very edge of my tank. I run a AI hydra 32 over a 25 gallon so it gets a decent amount of light. I notice the more I frag it the more it loses color.
Bingo, hydra 32, puts out huge UV/V numbers compared to most lights it's the low range that's giving these results, most lights are shooting for the 440-460 range these things go well under that and it's hard to read with par meters. I promise it's the lighting, you can't help that. You pump out purple, yellow is the contrasting pigment that the coral will use to shade itself.

Last edited:

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 144 88.3%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 9 5.5%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 7 4.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 1.8%
Back