Question regarding blue leg Caribbean pistol shrimp aggression / feeding

ihatenitrites

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello everyone, a while ago I bought a pistol shrimp which I thought might be a tiger shrimp. With the help of this forum I found out I was VERY wrong in my identification.

I was going to see if I can return him (pretty slim chance in my area) but my parents convinced me otherwise. For the moment he is in his own little tank. His only companion is a small pest (I think) snail.

My main tank is a small nano tank (13.5g fluval sea aquarium) with a few inhabitants. 1 fish (yellow clown goby - it's not the shrimp pairing type), 2 hermit crabs (blue leg, full black hermit which is 2x the size of blue leg), 1 trochus snail, and copepods and amphipods. I was thinking of eventually adding a few more inverts, like a peppermint shrimp and / or emerald crab.

My question is this: Will the pistol shrimp go around and start hunting the other inhabitants if I add it to the main tank (I don't care about the copepods and amphipods, they seem to be breeding freely. Nothing seems to be eating them at this point)? So far, it NEVER leaves its cave unless it's complete darkness so I'm worried about it killing and eating the goby while it sleeps, or if the goby ends up swimming in his cave.

I know that a lot of people keep the candy cane or tiger pistol shrimps and don't seem to have any issues, but it looks like the blue leg Caribbean pistol shrimp is different from those 2 species. I know they don't pair, but I'm not sure about the aggression.

Side questions: Would you guys keep an emerald crab in a 13.5g tank? I know they can get up to around 2" (at least according to my research, no idea if they reach that in aquariums or not) which may or may not be an issue with this tank size.

And this is just a curiosity question: Are pistol shrimps aggressive towards one another? Do they need X space for a territory or they will start fighting?

Llyod276

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Depends on your aqauscaping. Pistol shrimp ime, will hide in their caves and never come out. My (i think its a rust or tiger dunno forgot what he looks like, although the antennea are striped) pistol is quasi paired with the a yellow watchman goby, the Gobi will leave the shrimp from time to time to eat. Since I put him in 3 months ago(?), I have never seen more than a whisker sticking out the rock and pop here and there. They will defend their burrows by shooting air at intruders.

If you want it put it in. A single crab should work.

OP
OP
I

ihatenitrites

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Depends on your aqauscaping. Pistol shrimp ime, will hide in their caves and never come out. My (i think its a rust or tiger dunno forgot what he looks like, although the antennea are striped) pistol is quasi paired with the a yellow watchman goby, the Gobi will leave the shrimp from time to time to eat. Since I put him in 3 months ago(?), I have never seen more than a whisker sticking out the rock and pop here and there. They will defend their burrows by shooting air at intruders.

If you want it put it in. A single crab should work.

For the crab, I was thinking that it will probably go in the pistol's cave at some point since they seem to like darkness as well.

As for my scape, I have a few rocks but they are stacked in a triangle sort of way (it kind of looks like a 90 degree triangle). I know that the goby is always weaving through the rocks and crevices and stuff, since he's only about 1".

Llyod276

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Your live stock will do whatever they want. I have 2 emeralds in my tank with a pistol, granted mine is much larger, but eventually they'll find each other. Don't worry about it. A little air bubble ain't gonna hurt them. You really don't need an emrald crab at all a few hermits will suffice. If you're not feeding a whole lot, starvation will kill all the excess cuc (clean up crew). Crabs are predominantly scavengers.

OP
OP
I

ihatenitrites

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Your live stock will do whatever they want. I have 2 emeralds in my tank with a pistol, granted mine is much larger, but eventually they'll find each other. Don't worry about it. A little air bubble ain't gonna hurt them. You really don't need an emrald crab at all a few hermits will suffice. If you're not feeding a whole lot, starvation will kill all the excess cuc (clean up crew). Crabs are predominantly scavengers.
I see, thanks for the info! As for the emerald crab, I was going to get it as main "center piece" inhabitant. I like how they look. Every once in a while I spot feed the hermits a little piece of pleco wafer so they don't starve

Back