Question regarding flatworm Exit and Fluconazole treatments

My Fish Life

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello,

My tank is currently on day 7 of a Fluconazole treatment. I’ve just noticed small flatworms in my tank. They breed rapidly. My bryopsis is minor. I’d like to treat for the flatworms asap before they spread like wild fire.

Can I use flatworm x during a Fluconazole treatment?

Should I do a big water change before treatment due to the Fluconazole?

Or should I wait?

After FWX I’m going to do a big water change. So if I do it during current treatment I would have to start the Fluconazole treatment all over again is what I’m thinking.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated

Thank you.

4b5348d15ff9893a5de54da6f231afe1.jpg

b7053a930b33b57b2e5a952dd96f1752.jpg

0541a492616b2fb22f5557bc468d0cea.jpg

Coastie Reefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm going to tell you from personal experience... FW Exit doesn't do a ton to get rid of those particular flatworms. It will knock them back, but will not get rid of them. I've tried nuking my tank with the stuff and they just come back. Even after repeating treatment 3 days in a row at nearly triple the recommended dosage. Are they in your display or just in your sump?

OP
OP
My Fish Life

My Fish Life

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm going to tell you from personal experience... FW Exit doesn't do a ton to get rid of those particular flatworms. It will knock them back, but will not get rid of them. I've tried nuking my tank with the stuff and they just come back. Even after repeating treatment 3 days in a row at nearly triple the recommended dosage. Are they in your display or just in your sump?

Really eh. That’s crazy. They are becoming more apparent in my display tank as well.

It doesn’t seem like there are too many option for treatment out there.

Coastie Reefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've never ran a fluc treatment with FW Exit... but I know you're supposed to do about a 30% water change after 2 weeks when dosing fluc... you could time the FW treatment to coincide with the water change. FW won't kill them all, but it may help keep them in check.

OP
OP
My Fish Life

My Fish Life

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've never ran a fluc treatment with FW Exit... but I know you're supposed to do about a 30% water change after 2 weeks when dosing fluc... you could time the FW treatment to coincide with the water change. FW won't kill them all, but it may help keep them in check.

That makes sense. Thanks for the help.

Is there anything that will nuke these jerks?

dansreef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Rather than going the FW Exit route.... have you thought about fish that may eradicate them...or just keep them in check? Certain Wrasses will eat them. Springeri Damsels will as well. Green Spotted Mandarins have been suggested as an eater of flatworms.

I have similar flatworms in my system. They are small and generally do not do a lot of harm. I have seen the bigger ones cover some LPS and cause issues. AEFWs are something entirely different. Those require a more radical treatment. Anyway, I have had these same flatworms in my system and I have a trio of springeri damsels, I have a couple of wrasses... and I have a green spotted mandarin. In a 180 display.... they keep the flatworms in check.

Just a thought.... perhaps look at some fish as natural predators before dosing.

OP
OP
My Fish Life

My Fish Life

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Rather than going the FW Exit route.... have you thought about fish that may eradicate them...or just keep them in check? Certain Wrasses will eat them. Springeri Damsels will as well. Green Spotted Mandarins have been suggested as an eater of flatworms.

I have similar flatworms in my system. They are small and generally do not do a lot of harm. I have seen the bigger ones cover some LPS and cause issues. AEFWs are something entirely different. Those require a more radical treatment. Anyway, I have had these same flatworms in my system and I have a trio of springeri damsels, I have a couple of wrasses... and I have a green spotted mandarin. In a 180 display.... they keep the flatworms in check.

Just a thought.... perhaps look at some fish as natural predators before dosing.

Thanks for your advise.

I have thought of the fish method and I will add a wrasse and dragonet soon. However I hear it can be a hit or miss if the fish will actually eat the worms.
I’m worried about them spreading so fast. I’ve watched them spread daily so that concerns me. Which is why I’m leaning towards fwx, not that I won’t to put that stuff in my tank but I don’t see other dosing options.

saltyfilmfolks

Lights! Camera! Reef!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They’re blooming because of the dead algae. A lot of folks report cuc and fish go nuts for algaes they wouldn’t touch.

I’d keep up manual removal. FWE is a really aggressive treatment.

dansreef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
To be completely transparent... I have never seen any of these fish eat the flat worms. They keep the population in check. I only ever see evidence of the flatworms when the early morning sunlight hits the tank for a few minutes.... or if I pull a sample of algae... I will see a flatworm on occasion under the microscope. If they multiply, what are they going to do to your system? Not knowing your system.... but taking a guess.... not much. They shouldn't bother the corals. The type in your pictures are not the large ones. The large ones can cover LPS and softies.... may irritate them... I haven't seen them kill coral.

The problem with FW Exit is what other micro fauna does it impact. And as others have stated....still wont eradicate them. Rather than dose a chemical or some sort of treatment,,,, find a natural predator. I wouldn't get too concerned.... IMHO

OP
OP
My Fish Life

My Fish Life

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
To be completely transparent... I have never seen any of these fish eat the flat worms. They keep the population in check. I only ever see evidence of the flatworms when the early morning sunlight hits the tank for a few minutes.... or if I pull a sample of algae... I will see a flatworm on occasion under the microscope. If they multiply, what are they going to do to your system? Not knowing your system.... but taking a guess.... not much. They shouldn't bother the corals. The type in your pictures are not the large ones. The large ones can cover LPS and softies.... may irritate them... I haven't seen them kill coral.

The problem with FW Exit is what other micro fauna does it impact. And as others have stated....still wont eradicate them. Rather than dose a chemical or some sort of treatment,,,, find a natural predator. I wouldn't get too concerned.... IMHO

Ya fair enough. I may just clean out my refugium and get the new fish and go from there.

I appreciate your knowledge.

OP
OP
My Fish Life

My Fish Life

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They’re blooming because of the dead algae. A lot of folks report cuc and fish go nuts for algaes they wouldn’t touch.

I’d keep up manual removal. FWE is a really aggressive treatment.

Ah I see. So the Fluconazole treatment is maybe why I’m noticing all of a sudden. I’ll deal with this treatment and hold off on the FWX for now.

Thank you

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 76 86.4%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 6 6.8%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 3 3.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 3.4%
Back