Question regarding lr hitchhikers

SteveO83

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
what should I do with this rock I purchased? I have it in a bucket what the heck water and a powerhead till I get my new nuvo this weekend. It has bubble algae, aiptasia and then this snail looking thing

CFFD557F-2BB0-410F-85EE-3F90FCF2BCA2.jpeg

Crabs McJones

I'm so shi-nay
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hard to tell, any chance you can pull it and put it in a container and get a better picture?

Crabs McJones

I'm so shi-nay
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If i can find it tonight. What about the other stuff?
how many aiptasia does it have? if its only a couple your best bet is to scrape them off and put super glue or epoxy over where they were on the rock to prevent them from growing back, and the bubble algae i've heard to use a turkey baster and suck them off the rock to get them out without popping them.

OP
OP
SteveO83

SteveO83

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
how many aiptasia does it have? if its only a couple your best bet is to scrape them off and put super glue or epoxy over where they were on the rock to prevent them from growing back, and the bubble algae i've heard to use a turkey baster and suck them off the rock to get them out without popping them.

Ok. Scraped a couple, but didnt know about the epoxy/super glue

Jay1982

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Honestly, if you are starting the tank out. I would just dry the rock out. Yeah it sucks losing potential beneficial hitchhikers - but why start off dealing with aptasia and bubble algae? You can seed the rock once it has been put into the aquarium

OP
OP
SteveO83

SteveO83

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Honestly, if you are starting the tank out. I would just dry the rock out. Yeah it sucks losing potential beneficial hitchhikers - but why start off dealing with aptasia and bubble algae? You can seed the rock once it has been put into the aquarium

Ive got a 10g with 12# of lr in it that is running already. Upgrading to this 20g nuvo

Maritimer

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The "snail-looking thing" looks like a Stomatella. They're snails - go figure - with a reduced shell that resembles a fingernail with a tiny swirl at the back end. Great little cleaner-uppers, and come in decorator colors.

~Bruce

OP
OP
SteveO83

SteveO83

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The "snail-looking thing" looks like a Stomatella. They're snails - go figure - with a reduced shell that resembles a fingernail with a tiny swirl at the back end. Great little cleaner-uppers, and come in decorator colors.

~Bruce

One good thing from this purchase. Of course now I cant find it

OP
OP
SteveO83

SteveO83

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Going to buy a couple more pounds of lr and pressure wash these and crush it for rubble in the sump section

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 24 32.9%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 19 26.0%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 6 8.2%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 5 6.8%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 18 24.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 1.4%
Back