Question to those members who have raised clownfish fry successfully

liveround69

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a Maroon clownfish fry tank and they are currently going thru meta. I was wondering what day to stop feeding brine shrimp and rotifers. I have the TDO chroma boost system by APBREED and am currently feeding that to them in tandem with the rotifers, baby brine shrimp, and tinting the water with nannochloropsis algae.

Also do i just continue the tdo diet by itself after quitting the others or are there particular foods i need to acquire?

Lastly i have the small led light over them covered by masking tape to dim it for their eyes. What day would be good to take the tape off and let the led shine full power?

Thanks

Daniel@R2R

Living the Reef Life
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I unfortunately don't have an answer, but here's a bump for your question. Also, I'd love to see a pic of your fry!

Johniejumbo

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I raised several clutches of percula x ocellaris fry but it has been about ten years. I can’t quit remember how long I fed them what. I do remember I had them on finely crumbled flake food really quickly. I will try to find my log book when I get home from work and see if there is any good advice in there for you. That was one of the funnest little projects me and my wife did. I didn’t light the tanks I had the fry in. Just ambient room light until I moved them to a ten gallon for growing out.

Johniejumbo

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I guess my notes n such didn’t make it from the old computer to the new. Did find a pic of one of my last bunches in their favorite coffee cup lol. Good luck to you!

69F3B58A-F7CA-4F27-811F-577B2BB14ADB.jpeg

E99D9840-F699-4786-A15C-2C629FA17EC1.jpeg

reeftigergal

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
BulkReefSupply.com, has an excellent video on breeding, and raising fry of clowns that refreshed my memory quite well.

AcroDesCoraux

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
From my experience after about 6-7 days they can handle full strength lighting.
You can always just watch them and if they all go towards the bottom of the tank then it’s too much light.
I’ve been successful with only feeding TDO to my fry after winning them off Rotifers and brine shrimps and they look very healthy so I think it’s a good nutritious food.
But I didn’t start feeding them TDO until they past meta, I tried but they didn’t seem to be eating it or very few of them and it was just spoiling the water.
In my experience the longer I kept feeding rotifers the better survival rate.
My advice would be, be patient with transitioning them to the next food some will eat it right away and some will take a lot more time so if you want the best survival rate take your time watch them and keep feeding Rotifers until you can see that they are all eating baby brine shrimps, then same thing keep feeding brine shrimps until they all eat TDO...

talkalot82

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I do percularis clownsfish.
Day 1-10 rotifers
Day 5-20 baby brine
Day 20-30 older baby brine.
Day 14 start flakes or TDO.

I do mix flakes in correct micron with hot water so it sinks a bit. More likely they see it as food sooner. TDO normally sink on own.

I start TDO B2. I grind it down to proper size however. I like to only buy one size. More cost effective for me.

sabeypets

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
feed rotifers day 1 through day 14-16
TDO day 8-10 through adult
I dont use Brine Shrimp
I use a low wat power compact light untill they are moved to grow out at around 4 to 6 weeks.

FB_IMG_1568790770178.jpg

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 39 34.2%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 23 20.2%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 9 7.9%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 8 7.0%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 31 27.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.5%
Back