Question while cycling new to reefing Numbers jumped fast

AJnanoreef

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is my first tank and could use some help or advice I'm not sure if things are going good or bad
So, I have Marco dry rock not live rock and used Fiji pink live sand from carb-sea dr. Tims fishless cycle

I'm on day 12

Ammonia 3
Nitrite 5
Nitrate 40
PH 7.6
temp 78.2
Salinity is 1.026

I used RODI water not tap.

so my question is my tank still cycling or is my nitrite too high and Nitrate should I water change or something else or just let it continue as is? Nitrite and Nitrate were very low on day 7 ammonia has always been 3 never changed PH has dropped from 8.1 to 7.6

Slocke

Wrasse and Eel Nerd
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What tests are you using and what nutrients (food, ammonia, etc) are you adding to the tank?

OP
OP
AJnanoreef

AJnanoreef

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What tests are you using and what nutrients (food/ammonia) are you adding to the tank?
API and using a hanna ammonia checker.. and using Dr. Tims fishless Cycles comes with ammonia i added drops like they sadi they say 4 drop per gallon and i have 26 gallon tank so 104 drops of ammonia on the days they have said to add it. i have not added ammonia for awhile buts its been 3 since the first test with my hanna ammonia test

Slocke

Wrasse and Eel Nerd
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
API and using a hanna ammonia checker.. and using Dr. Tims fishless Cycles comes with ammonia i added drops like they sadi they say 4 drop per gallon and i have 26 gallon tank so 104 drops of ammonia on the days they have said to add it. i have not added ammonia for awhile buts its been 3 since the first test with my hanna ammonia test
Good. I asked because api often shows false positives for ammonia. That is surprisingly high nitrate but it is just nitrate. I think your fine and can fix it with a water change once cycled.

OP
OP
AJnanoreef

AJnanoreef

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Good. I asked because api often shows false positives for ammonia. That is surprisingly high nitrate but it is just nitrate. I think your fine and can fix it with a water change once cycled.
ok thanks for the help. I'll just keep letting it go I don't think I'll test for a few days and see what happens. hoping to see the numbers come down so I can add fish at some point =D

Slocke

Wrasse and Eel Nerd
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Good luck
My first tank i waited for a month just to find out I was getting false positives on my api ammonia test. So I know the feeling haha.

Tuan’s Reef

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
7   0   0
Good luck
My first tank i waited for a month just to find out I was getting false positives on my api ammonia test. So I know the feeling haha.

Seems like all the new reefers gravitate towards API for ammonia test. I recommend using Red Sea Ammonia test kit. Very easy and accurate .

Tuan’s Reef

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
7   0   0
The Hannah ammonia checker is good. However you'll only need it to cycle your tank or future tanks so the mileage is going to be low. You can spend that money on a Hanna Nitrate HR checker, Phosphate ULR , or the Alk checker which will get much more mileage.

For Calicum , mag, and Alk you can get the Salifert test kits. Best bang for the buck. Easy and accurate.

Back