Question with TTM

Fishfinder

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have always done a 12 process with 4 transfers. I know that 4 is required. But if you bring the fish home and are very careful about putting them in QT can't that count as 1 transfer. You are transferring them from the store to your disease free QT? @Humblefish @Maritimer thanks for the help

EddieJ

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would do 4 transfers in my QTs regardless. With the final transfer into a QT for at least 18 more days of observation..

Humblefish

Dr. Fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would do 4 transfers in my QTs regardless. With the final transfer into a QT for at least 18 more days of observation..

+1 Don’t take shortcuts. It always comes back to bite you.

Humblefish

Dr. Fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I guess my question is if TTM is a 12 day process or actually a 15 day process

I recommend following this TTM protocol exactly:
  • Day 1 - Fish is placed in initial QT.
  • Day 4 - Roughly 72 hours later transfer the fish to new tank. The time of day you do the transfer is unimportant, but never exceed 72 hours from the last transfer. The temperature and SG of the new tank should match the old one perfectly, so you can just catch & release (no acclimation). Transfer as little water as possible with the fish.
  • Day 7 - Repeat.
  • Day 10 - Repeat.
  • Day 13 - Repeat and done (fish should now be ich free).

OP
OP
Fishfinder

Fishfinder

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
+1 Don’t take shortcuts. It always comes back to bite you.

Yes, I should have said I wasn't intending to take a shortcut. I always do a full QT. It was more for my curiosity. If it took 4 transfers (12 days) to be ick free. Or if the initial purchase and transfer into qt was required for a total of 5 transfers (15 days)

Humblefish

Dr. Fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
On Day 13, you can transfer the fish into an observation tank and begin a countdown to when you will transfer the fish into your DT. I recommend a minimum of 2 weeks; 4 weeks is safer.

So, if we don’t count putting the fish in the first QT (on Day 1) and transferring him into the observation tank (on Day 13), you are only looking at 3 transfers in-between.

Deinonych

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm not a fan of starting TTM from the first day of acquisition. Given the amount of stress these fish go through to reach our aquariums, I like to give them at least 2 weeks to settle in, start feeding regularly and get on a schedule. This also allows for a bit of extra observation in case a pathogen shows up and requires immediate action.

Maritimer

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've honestly never used TTM. (Well, I tried to use it once - let's just say it didn't go well.) I use Coppersafe as prophylactic treatment against ich, and it also takes away my velvet phobia.

I'd follow the protocol outlined by Humblefish, including all transfers. We know that one _works_.

~Bruce

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 22 31.4%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 19 27.1%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 6 8.6%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 5 7.1%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 17 24.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 1.4%
Back