Question

Aj 408

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
just added 2 new clown fish in my new tank that's been cycling for 3 mouths now when should I test the water for ammonia and Nitrates and nitrates

Azedenkae

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
just added 2 new clown fish in my new tank that's been cycling for 3 mouths now when should I test the water for ammonia and Nitrates and nitrates
You really should have tested for ammonia, nitrite, and nitrate before adding clownfish, but anyways.

The answer to your question is, whenever you are cycling, want to be sure the water is safe for your live stock and/or something happened and you want to check to see if it may be caused by one of these parameters.

OP
OP
A

Aj 408

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I did all the levels have been good for the past month and a 1/2 I tested the water right before I got the fish now I'm just wondering how long do I wait before testing the water again this time with the new fish.... fish are happy swimming around the rocks and all over the tank

ying yang

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Im new to owning salt water fish but i read alot once the cycle is completed they dont test for amnonia or nitrites and only keep eye and test for nitrates.
Because the chloride in salt nitrate the fish cant intake unless at massive levels of nitrite so nitrite it doesn't matter.
But if you got the test kits you can check occasionally for amnonia just to keep check if you like.
Im reading alot like to keep nitrite 5- 10 ppm i think but mainly for the corals,but be good to test and check whilst only fish so you can get used to it.
And off course if see any problems then test for amnonia.

ReefRusty

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
To be honest since i added my first fish. Clowns i tested ammonia twice. 1st 2 days after and then 6 days Havnt tested since been 6 months now. Only test for Nitrates. If your tank completed is cycle you will be fine

Back