Question

REEFTIDE

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I will do a big water change today. I have a instant ocean hydrometer . A cheap one. I never pour fish water from a different place into my tank. This is my first saltwater aquarium. I did it to save a fish .
Since you're using a hydrometer make sure there are no bubbles in the body of it or on the arm, make sure the temp of the water is the temp of the tank(so it'll be accurate) and don't do a huge water change.
What are you making your water with?
If you want to upgrade a little bit and not put too much into it(I'm assuming you want not so much coral but more fish) get a refracto and it should help. However, with the anemone its possible that many different things could be causing it to be unhappy and without the more precise equipment its harder to diagnose.

Uzidaisies

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I will do a big water change today. I have a instant ocean hydrometer . A cheap one. I never pour fish water from a different place into my tank. This is my first saltwater aquarium. I did it to save a fish .
When you say you “did it to save a fish”, do you mean you treated the tank with some type of copper medication?

OP
OP
Saltygal2.0

Saltygal2.0

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Since you're using a hydrometer make sure there are no bubbles in the body of it or on the arm, make sure the temp of the water is the temp of the tank(so it'll be accurate) and don't do a huge water change.
What are you making your water with?
If you want to upgrade a little bit and not put too much into it(I'm assuming you want not so much coral but more fish) get a refracto and it should help. However, with the anemone its possible that many different things could be causing it to be unhappy and without the more precise equipment its harder to diagnose.
I have a big bucket that i use only for saltwater, i use instant ocean sea salt, i measure the sea salt with a Measuring cup. I dont want this little guy to die. My clownfish loves it. I will make sure theres no bubbles.

REEFTIDE

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a big bucket that i use only for saltwater, i use instant ocean sea salt, i measure the sea salt with a Measuring cup. I dont want this little guy to die. My clownfish loves it. I will make sure theres no bubbles.
I'm sorry, I meant like what water you use

OP
OP
Saltygal2.0

Saltygal2.0

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
When you say you “did it to save a fish”, do you mean you treated the tank with some type of copper medication?
Someone had a saltwater fish in freshwater. So i couldn't let this fish just die. So i took it home. And i started a saltwater aquarium. I never use copper.

DeniseAndy

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sounds like the clown is protecting the nem. That is normal. Also, the size is good for the clown. the problem is the whether the tank can handle the anemone.

As stated, work on upgrading the tools in your possession. A refractometer is better than a hydrometer. Make sure store water never touches your water.

Do not ever treat in the main tank with medications (at least in this phase of reef keeping).

Get some higher end, more reliable test kits. Red Sea, Elos, etc. They can be found on Amazon or any other online retailer. Hanna test will be out of price point right now I am guessing.

Nems need a good light, good flow, and healthy/stable tank. Good luck!

DeniseAndy

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The water conditioners cannot remove copper. Not sure it there is anything that will bind it, but you will need to buy distilled water or RO filtered at least.

If this is something you want to continue long term, but a RO/DI unit for reef aquariums. Worth their weight in gold.

Uzidaisies

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Buy gallons of Walmart brand water if you have to. You will be looking for ‘drinking water’ or ‘distilled’ if they don’t have the drinking water.

A worm with high fashion and practical utility: Have you ever kept feather dusters in your reef aquarium?

• I currently have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 64 36.8%
  • Not currently, but I have had feather dusters in my tank in the past.

Votes: 59 33.9%
  • I have not had feather dusters, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 25 14.4%
  • I have no plans to have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 26 14.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back