Questions about a rrhomed established tank

D1SCS550

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello,
Yesterday I bought a 5 year established tank. We broke it down, kept the sand wet and the rock submerged on transit. It is filled now and running for 24 hours with the water clear. Do I still need to wait for a full cycle or can I acclimate and place the fish into the tank? Ammonia, nitrites and nitrates have been all zero.

EvanDeVita

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello,
Yesterday I bought a 5 year established tank. We broke it down, kept the sand wet and the rock submerged on transit. It is filled now and running for 24 hours with the water clear. Do I still need to wait for a full cycle or can I acclimate and place the fish into the tank? Ammonia, nitrites and nitrates have been all zero.
I’d throw in some turbo start to be safe. Did you fill the tank with fresh salt or did you use some of the old water?

OP
OP
D

D1SCS550

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I used the water that had been in the tank, but for losses it was essentially a 20% water change along with the tank hook up.

brandon429

why did you put a reef in that
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
you should not use the old sand is as, if its not too late.

that is associated with total fish losses. needs to be prepped by 100% rinsing until its clean in tap, tap water, then final rinse in ro

cloudless sand

only use that. if skipped/too late then you still have 80-90% chance of success and only minor algae challenges from the waste relocation.

but if caught in time to implement, the losses go to 0% on rinsed setups, its the absolute safest way undebatable.

the reason why is that getting rid of the waste in the sand is more important than keeping the bacteria in it.

xxkenny90xx

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You are good to add the fish now, but +1 on rinsing the sand!

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 39 34.2%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 23 20.2%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 9 7.9%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 8 7.0%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 31 27.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.5%
Back