Questions about commercial supplementation systems, particularly with regards to ATI essentials pro vs Triton Core7

Neville

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Randy Holmes-Farley, I have 3 questions to commence this thread:

1) Can you comment on any advantages or disadvantages to the Triton Method vs the ATI method? As far as I can see, the major difference is that Triton uses inorganic carbon, and ATI uses organic carbon... Triton claims the use of organic carbon can affect the nutrient stability of a reef aquarium system causing long term problems.... Do you have any thoughts or clarification on that? I've been wondering about switching from Triton Core7 to ATI essentials pro if there can be cost savings to be made, as we've just had a 25% price increase on the Core7 products here in Australia.

I did see on one of your comments on the reef2reef forum that you flag potential issues with all commercial dosing systems... I'd love for you to expand on that comment, if you could.

My final question relates to Triton Core7... If it's supposedly a 'complete' supplementation system, supplying all the significant trace elements at concentrations calculated in ratio to Alk consumption, why is that every ICP test I do indicates deficiencies in some elements? (significant ones being Magnesium Strontium, Potassium, Iodine, Manganese, and to a lesser extent Bromine, Vanadium and Zinc).

This may seem an oxymoron, but I do aquarium maintenance for a living... and I'm perfectly capable of calculating my own supplements with Ca, Mg and Alk... but I'm lazy, and if someone has done it for me, plus traces, in a concentrated form with lab-grade supplements (and yes, I've noticed a huge difference in the amount of leftover precipitate between lab grade and food grade supps), that has great appeal to me if it's within my budget... and within my customer's budget.

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think I already addressed this elsewhere?

ATI does not use organic carbon in their two part. No one does.

The only products that contain organic carbon to supplement calcium and alk are all in one products like Salifert all in one or Tropic Marin All for Reef.

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 95 88.0%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 6 5.6%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 4 3.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.8%
Back