Questions about cycling with live rock

JosephM

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I received 40 lbs of live rock from KPA shipped damp overnight (great rock by the way). It's looking pretty good but I am getting tons of ammonia. They recommend daily 30% water changes for the first 3 days and then bi-weekly 50% water changes until cycled. Well every time I have tested it's steady at 2ppm with today testing 4ppm. Is there any way to minimize ammonia build up? I have filter socks, should I be changing them out more often even if they're not clogged? I have cheato in my sump that is growing a lot. I do have a skimmer but it's not running because I am having issues getting it to run properly so I just shut it down. Will it hurt to do 2 or 3 water changes in a day? I started doing 2 a day, one in the morning and one at night and that's when it was constantly 2ppm but I let it go for 24hrs and according to my API test is was between 4-8ppm. I know API is not the best but its what I have to work with and it gets me in the ball park. KP says to try and keep ammonia below 1ppm but I can't seem to achieve that. I am also dosing Seachem stability daily if that even does anything. Any pointers or advice will be very welcome, thank you!

IMG-8645.jpg

DungSl1nger

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I went through the same thing, I did do excessive water changes. KP said you can also use prime to help control the ammonia. I chose the water changes to preserve as much life as possible and I tested with Red Sea kits. In all I probably used 100 gallons of water total.

OP
OP
JosephM

JosephM

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I went through the same thing, I did do excessive water changes. KP said you can also use prime to help control the ammonia. I chose the water changes to preserve as much life as possible and I tested with Red Sea kits. In all I probably used 100 gallons of water total.
How excessive are we talking?

DungSl1nger

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
100 or so gallons the first week. At the end of the week it was at almost at zero. 3 days later the last it tested at zero. I did one more 15 gallon change and waited 4 more days to redo my tank.

OP
OP
JosephM

JosephM

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
100 or so gallons the first week. At the end of the week it was at almost at zero. 3 days later the last it tested at zero. I did one more 15 gallon change and waited 4 more days to redo my tank.
What size tank, how many changes a day, and how many gallons per change. I have about 40 gallons in my system so I'm just trying to gauge how much I can do.

DungSl1nger

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My rock was cured in a brute 25 pounds in 35 gallons of water.
End of day one ammonia off the chart high. Did a 20% change. Next morning 20%. Evening 10%. Next day 75% with tank water change water. Then 20% for the next couple of days (All rough numbers). By the start of week 2 almost At 0 so I waited a few days and changed for the last time.
When I added the rock to the tank I rinsed one final time with newly removed tank water from my weekly WC. I am still finding new life on it.

OP
OP
JosephM

JosephM

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My rock was cured in a brute 25 pounds in 35 gallons of water.
End of day one ammonia off the chart high. Did a 20% change. Next morning 20%. Evening 10%. Next day 75% with tank water change water. Then 20% for the next couple of days (All rough numbers). By the start of week 2 almost At 0 so I waited a few days and changed for the last time.
When I added the rock to the tank I rinsed one final time with newly removed tank water from my weekly WC. I am still finding new life on it.
Okay, thank you! Starting this thread gave me the will power to get my skimmer back online LOL

OP
OP
JosephM

JosephM

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yea, it is a good idea to get it broke in before putting fish in the tank. I had micro bubbles everywhere.
It's already mostly broke in. Running for a week before I had troubles but it's back running now with SOME bubbles. Not a ton, not a little.

Clear reef vision: How do you clean the inside of the glass on your aquarium?

• Razor blade

Votes: 156 61.7%
  • Plastic scraper

Votes: 68 26.9%
  • Clean-up crew

Votes: 89 35.2%
  • Magic eraser

Votes: 44 17.4%
  • Other

Votes: 67 26.5%
Back