Questions about frogfish tanksize, tankmates and care... and also connected tanks

|Tom the Bomb|

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is it possible to keep the smallest type of frogfish alone in a 20 gallon tank?

I think the smallest one was the wartskin frogfish.

Another question is that the 20 gallon cube will not have its own filter or heater but will have a light. It is connected to a larger tank that has filters, skimmer and heater and sump with plumbing beside it (kinda like a sump with no pump) SO technically it has filtration and heating (the amount of GpH and Watts for heating are calculated based on total volume Main tank + 20G.)

So I was wondering if I could keep a frogfish in that tank since they like to be alone.

Is that alright? (the plumbing holes will be covered with a net so it can’t escape.

Or maybe I could add a small HOB power filter on the 20G to help.

The tank will have live sand and live rock and macroalgae and maybe some frags sticking on the rack on the glass.

EDIT:

If the 20G is too small for a wartskin I found 2 smaller species: antennarius pauciradiatus the dwarf frogfish and the antennarius randalli Randall’s frogfish which are smaller andI think theyc an fit in a 20G setup like this right?

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I thought it over and thought that there’s no downsides in keeping a frogfish in a tank connected to a tank.

Another question:

Can I keep the commerson’s frogfish (BIGGEST OF THEM) in a 240G with 2 lionfish, an eel and a niger trigger…

And maybe another fish or 2 I’m still deciding to finish the stocking.

Will the fish bother the frogfish or the frogfish bothering the other fish??

Lasse

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
IMO - without any experiences of frogfish - your first option with a 20 G tank connected to a larger system and only one frogfish as only inhabitant would the way to go (IMO) In Nature Frogfish often occupying the same spot during its whole lifetime - it is not a fish liking open space. It is a slow acting fish and - IMO - not should be together with other hunting fish.

Just be sure that you have a good connecting flow between the systems - internal filtrating is not needed if the flow is high enough - still IMO

Sincerely Lasse

Paul B

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Lasse is correct, like he usually is. I have had many frogfish and that tank is plenty big for him, even when he grows. They rarely move and have no need to if you feed him. And you don't have to feed them to often as they are not exactly athletes and he won't jump out. (probably)

You can feed him once a week with preferably a small whole salt water fish or shrimp with the head and guts attached. No goldfish or guppies.

The frogfish will ignore any other fish unless he can eat them whole. They are not big on chewing.
Some other fish may bother frogfish because they think they are a lump or seaweed and may pick on them

OP
OP
|Tom the Bomb|

|Tom the Bomb|

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Lasse is correct, like he usually is. I have had many frogfish and that tank is plenty big for him, even when he grows. They rarely move and have no need to if you feed him. And you don't have to feed them to often as they are not exactly athletes and he won't jump out. (probably)

You can feed him once a week with preferably a small whole salt water fish or shrimp with the head and guts attached. No goldfish or guppies.

The frogfish will ignore any other fish unless he can eat them whole. They are not big on chewing.
Some other fish may bother frogfish because they think they are a lump or seaweed and may pick on them
IMO - without any experiences of frogfish - your first option with a 20 G tank connected to a larger system and only one frogfish as only inhabitant would the way to go (IMO) In Nature Frogfish often occupying the same spot during its whole lifetime - it is not a fish liking open space. It is a slow acting fish and - IMO - not should be together with other hunting fish.

Just be sure that you have a good connecting flow between the systems - internal filtrating is not needed if the flow is high enough - still IMO

Sincerely Lasse

Soooo, now that I'm think I should just connect the tank to the sump
is the wartskin too big for a 20G?
If so I'll go for the 2 smaller ones but if its ok I'll stick with that
and you said that they don't do well with fish ok so my 2nd option is a no.
And I only need to feeed 1 a week?

Paul B

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That fish is fine in a 20 gallon tank

Paul B

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes you can, they live on coral reefs.

OP
OP
|Tom the Bomb|

|Tom the Bomb|

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes you can, they live on coral reefs.

angels live on coral reefs buteat corals....
but frogfish can...
another tank: the reefer 900 which I'm
planning to get it has a split sump and the split part being 22gallons can I keep a frogfish inthere? I'll put a net over the holes and add wavemaker and light
this is another different tank
than the one in the post btw.
the one in the post I was buying a predrilled 20g

Bleakborn

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'll add my 2 cents, I have two frogfish. One is in a 20gal high with lots of zoas and other soft corals and the other is in a 15 gallon with macro algae and some corals.

One thing to keep in mind when picking out corals is that frogfish do not have scales and can be easily stung by corals and should not be housed with anemones. Also do to not having scales they can get pests like flukes very easily and catch diseases pretty easily as well. So being in connected tank should you should be very cautious when adding new fish so make sure you quarantine.

In regards to the larger frogfish in a predator tank whatever can fit into the mouth of the frogfish it will attempt to eat and if it catches a lionfish there is a good chance you will lose both fish...

Do lots of research and good luck!

OP
OP
|Tom the Bomb|

|Tom the Bomb|

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'll add my 2 cents, I have two frogfish. One is in a 20gal high with lots of zoas and other soft corals and the other is in a 15 gallon with macro algae and some corals.

One thing to keep in mind when picking out corals is that frogfish do not have scales and can be easily stung by corals and should not be housed with anemones. Also do to not having scales they can get pests like flukes very easily and catch diseases pretty easily as well. So being in connected tank should you should be very cautious when adding new fish so make sure you quarantine.

In regards to the larger frogfish in a predator tank whatever can fit into the mouth of the frogfish it will attempt to eat and if it catches a lionfish there is a good chance you will lose both fish...

Do lots of research and good luck!

isnt bening in a connected tank better cuz the water is more stable with more water volumes and dilution of contaminants and more stability and stuff what species of frogfish u have?

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Frogfish like to perch and use camouflage to blend in with their surroundings. A tank scaped with plenty of rock and a variety of bright colored softie coral, sponges, sea fans and macro algae will allow the Frogfish to exhibit natural behavior and coloration. Since they do not move around all that much, a really large tank is not necessary. Plus it makes it easier to observe them and also allows them to catch prey with minimal effort.
Target feed the frogfish as it is a poor hunter and also capable of eating tankmates its' own size.

Bleakborn

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
isnt bening in a connected tank better cuz the water is more stable with more water volumes and dilution of contaminants and more stability and stuff what species of frogfish u have?

Yes and no, the extra water volume would be very helpful in creating a stable environment but since the tanks would be connected any disease/parasite that affects the main display will affect the frogsfish tank as well. That said if the sump is connected to the larger display that is well established and fully stocked tank without an history of disease/pests/parasites then I would be less worried.

I currently have two a A. Maculatus (wartskin frogfish) and a baby A. Coccineus (freckled frogfish) it also could be a randalli or a bermudensis but I wont know fully until it grows more.

I also had a A. Pictus (painted frogfish) but I lost him to disease from feeding live chromis and damsels from the local fish store, now I only feed saltwater grass shrimp or freshwater ghost shrimp that have been gut loaded with high quality saltwater fish food.

All in all don't just take only my word for it, keep asking questions and doing tons of research and make the best decision from all that you learn.

I hope it goes well and if you have any more questions I'll do my best to answer!

Mastering the art of locking and unlocking water pathways: What type of valves do you have on your aquarium plumbing?

• Ball valves.

Votes: 71 53.0%
  • Gate valves.

Votes: 68 50.7%
  • Check valves.

Votes: 34 25.4%
  • None.

Votes: 30 22.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 6.7%
Back