Questions about getting new fish in the future

Fish?

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I was thinking about what my tank will have in it when it's fully stocked, so far I have 2 clownfish and an orchid dottyback and I just want to know how many fish I can keep in total and if I can keep some of the ones I like and if so. I have a 24g cube.

The fish I were thinking about were:
Yasha goby or a yellow watchman goby
Firefish
Blue spot or pearly jawfish (my sandbed is only like 1.25 inches so are they out?)

Also I'm assuming the goby and jawfish will set up camp in the sand and my dottyback has already, so will there be enough room for all of them? Thanks for the response.

davidcalgary29

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I was thinking about what my tank will have in it when it's fully stocked, so far I have 2 clownfish and an orchid dottyback and I just want to know how many fish I can keep in total and if I can keep some of the ones I like and if so. I have a 24g cube.

The fish I were thinking about were:
Yasha goby or a yellow watchman goby
Firefish
Blue spot or pearly jawfish (my sandbed is only like 1.25 inches so are they out?)

Also I'm assuming the goby and jawfish will set up camp in the sand and my dottyback has already, so will there be enough room for all of them? Thanks for the response.
What type of clownfish do you have? And have they paired up? You may see aggression toward other fish if they see encroachment on their territory, and a 24g is not a huge amount of space. Do they have an established territory? And what's the aquascape like?

I've haven't seen my dottybacks be remotely interested in the sand bed; they tend to be cave dwellers.

Upvote 0

Billdogg

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The dottyback will almost certainly cause problems down the road with any new addition. The clowns, as they mature, will also claim the entire 24g as their own. I'd get rid of the dottyback and add a YWG. I think the yashas are very cool, but they stay pretty small.

And yes, to keep a jawfish happy you'd need a lot more sand. FWIW - the bluespots come from cooler water so can have longevity issues.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Fish?

Fish?

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What type of clownfish do you have? And have they paired up? You may see aggression toward other fish if they see encroachment on their territory, and a 24g is not a huge amount of space. Do they have an established territory? And what's the aquascape like?

I've haven't seen my dottybacks be remotely interested in the sand bed; they tend to be cave dwellers.
So they are a davinci and nearly naked, I don't think they have paired up yet but the seem to be close as the fighting isn't as bad as it was, they are both about the same size. They don't have an established territory, and my tank has one larger cave a smaller one and a third tiny one, but I would say other than the caves there is good hiding places, especccially for my dottyback it can fit in the tiniest of places and has a burrow in between two rocks. Thanks

Last edited:
Upvote 0
OP
OP
Fish?

Fish?

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The dottyback will almost certainly cause problems down the road with any new addition. The clowns, as they mature, will also claim the entire 24g as their own. I'd get rid of the dottyback and add a YWG. I think the yashas are very cool, but they stay pretty small.

And yes, to keep a jawfish happy you'd need a lot more sand. FWIW - the bluespots come from cooler water so can have longevity issues.
Yeah I love both of the gobies and I think I'm gonna get whatever my fish store has if neither are a problem and my tank tends to stay on the hotter side so I'm going to forget both of the jawfish, I don't have any corals but plan on having some, so would a powerhead help with cooling the water? (still not getting the jawfish though). Also my dottyback seems to be very timid, he hides in his burrow a lot of the time and barley comes up to the surface to eat. So lets say I do keep the dottyback would you say that all the fish I said besides the jawfish and one of the gobies is ok? and I forgot to list the lawnmower blenny and I'm wondering how he would do. Thanks for the help, and sorry for the giant response.

Upvote 0

davidcalgary29

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah I love both of the gobies and I think I'm gonna get whatever my fish store has if neither are a problem and my tank tends to stay on the hotter side so I'm going to forget both of the jawfish, I don't have any corals but plan on having some, so would a powerhead help with cooling the water? (still not getting the jawfish though). Also my dottyback seems to be very timid, he hides in his burrow a lot of the time and barley comes up to the surface to eat. So lets say I do keep the dottyback would you say that all the fish I said besides the jawfish and one of the gobies is ok? and I forgot to list the lawnmower blenny and I'm wondering how he would do. Thanks for the help, and sorry for the giant response.
Do you have a canopy? Even a clip on fan will assist with cooling through evaporation. Powerheads will help with water flow and oxygenation, but you'll have to break the water's surface tension if you want it to use it to reduce water temperature (again, by increasing the surface area available for evaporative effects).

Many people say that their orchid dottybacks are the absolute devil, but that hasn't been my experience with any of the five that I've owned. Then again, all of mine have been ORA tank-bred specimens, so perhaps they go through a different socialization process. Some reefers have also obtained purple or indigo dottybacks and have confused them with orchids, which tend to be more peaceful.

In any case, one large cave doesn't give you a lot of territorial options for fish, so I'd be cautious. If your clowns do take over your cave, your other fish won't have a lot of options.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Fish?

Fish?

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do you have a canopy? Even a clip on fan will assist with cooling through evaporation. Powerheads will help with water flow and oxygenation, but you'll have to break the water's surface tension if you want it to use it to reduce water temperature (again, by increasing the surface area available for evaporative effects).

Many people say that their orchid dottybacks are the absolute devil, but that hasn't been my experience with any of the five that I've owned. Then again, all of mine have been ORA tank-bred specimens, so perhaps they go through a different socialization process. Some reefers have also obtained purple or indigo dottybacks and have confused them with orchids, which tend to be more peaceful.

In any case, one large cave doesn't give you a lot of territorial options for fish, so I'd be cautious. If your clowns do take over your cave, your other fish won't have a lot of options.
Yeah the only animal in the cave as of now is my shrimp because he hides a lot. My clowns usually just swim around wherever they have no territory at all for now, plus could I add a host in the future to possibly make them have a territory, they don't even care about the dottyback and don't interact at all, they don't even fight for food. I don't have a canopy nor a sump and have a glass lid with my light that came with the tank that's one third of the top, it's good for soft corals I was told, I was planning on getting the AI 16hd with a screen top for when I go for corals, will a screen top work with a clip on fan? Thanks.

Upvote 0

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 34 44.2%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 19 24.7%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 22 28.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 2.6%
Back