Questions about Kessil A80 Tuna Blue

SaltiLife

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a Kessil a80 tuna blue on a standard 29 gallon tank. It seems that Zoas and candy cane coral I have in the tank are doing great, but I recently added a new Lrg frag of Nirvana palys and they don't look so great. They've been in the tank around 2-3 weeks. I also have a hammer coral that was opening and doing great but now only half way open. Checked all parameters and there good. Is this light good enough for a 29 gallon? I've watched several videos and talk to a few ppl and they say its fine. I have a 5 gallon nano also with a aqua knight A029 and it puts my 29 gallon to shame. Should I replace the Kessil with 2 of the Aqua Knight A029's? Should I take the Nirvana Palys and move them to the 5 gallon to see if the light just isn't enough in the 29 gallon? Thanks for all the reply's and help in advance. #reefsquad

Spare time

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That light is very weak for a 29 gallon. Check out the choose your kessil guide for reference.

SchrutesReefs

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I use 2 of the a80 tuna blues on a 20g. The light is underpowered for sure, but I have had no issues keeping a mixed reef (very few SPS though). Consistency is key, the corals would take a very long time to die from less lighting rather than too much. I have a lot of zoas and some like the bottom level and I have a few that thrive on the top of the rock work. I also use the spectral x controller to dial in all the settings.

OP
OP
SaltiLife

SaltiLife

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a Kessil a80 tuna blue on a standard 29 gallon tank. It seems that Zoas and candy cane coral I have in the tank are doing great, but I recently added a new Lrg frag of Nirvana palys and they don't look so great. They've been in the tank around 2-3 weeks. I also have a hammer coral that was opening and doing great but now only half way open. Checked all parameters and there good. Is this light good enough for a 29 gallon? I've watched several videos and talk to a few ppl and they say its fine. I have a 5 gallon nano also with a aqua knight A029 and it puts my 29 gallon to shame. Should I replace the Kessil with 2 of the Aqua Knight A029's? Should I take the Nirvana Palys and move them to the 5 gallon to see if the light just isn't enough in the 29 gallon? Thanks for all the reply's and help in advance. #reefsquad
Update on lighting. I have added a second Kessil A80 tuna blue. Set at 6" above the tank for the 14x14 spread. Let's see how this goes.

A worm with high fashion and practical utility: Have you ever kept feather dusters in your reef aquarium?

• I currently have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 80 38.5%
  • Not currently, but I have had feather dusters in my tank in the past.

Votes: 69 33.2%
  • I have not had feather dusters, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 26 12.5%
  • I have no plans to have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 31 14.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.0%
Back