Questions about my new tank

BostonReefer300

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
SG is specific gravity which is a measure of salinity. Do you have a way to measure salinity? Your temp is a little low at 75. I don’t know the Flex aquarium but it’s ok for saltwater yes? With a suitable filtration mechanism? I’m guessing that you’re salinity is probably off

OP
OP
OneOtter

OneOtter

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I checked the salinity it is 1.025 as of earlier,sorry I was working but the filtration system works really well and the temp is at 77 currently and the last date It was below 77 was a week ago on the 25th of april.

BostonReefer300

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
By filtration I mean does the Fluval have like a sponge filter or some type of media that can host bacteria inside the filter assembly? Your salt level is fine. I wonder if there is chlorine or chloramine in the water. If you have any seachem prime (or other similar water conditioner laying around), you should go ahead and dose that. Maybe some other toxin from the rocks? Other than those things, the only thing I'm left with is ammonia/nitrite as cause of death. I just don't understand why you're ammonia hasn't gone down with everything I now know about your system after you added the microbacter. Unless you have stray current going through your tank that is killing your bacteria and fish...but you probably would've noticed a tinge when sticking your hand in the water if so. This is a real mystery to me. Dose some Prime and then dose from a different bottle of bacteria (biospira, fritz's, etc.). Then check your ammonia/nitrite/nitrate levels again after a couple days. If ammonia and nitrite aren't gone after that, something really weird is happening. Tons of die off in the rocks somehow? I don't know.

OP
OP
OneOtter

OneOtter

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Okay I will and yes the fluvel has a 3 compartment filtration system built into the back, back left is the flow, center is the sponge with carbon and matrix stones and the right section is the pump. There are also matrix rocks in the back left compartment. I will try that method since I do have prime, the expert here recomended trying a damsel in there off hand to see if it will help because he thinks in the cycle my tank went from the ammonia to nitrite back to ammonia because there is no fish in there to help keep the constant bacteria growth. So I need to order one of those other bacteria products because none of the stores near me have any in stock but they have more microbacter.

BostonReefer300

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You could also start over with a new batch of saltwater that you make yourself. I assume you don't have a RODI system right? With a 15 gallon tank, you could use tap water and treat it with a conditioner to start. Or you could go buy a bunch of deionized water.

BostonReefer300

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If there's ammonia, then the bacteria should be feeding off it if they're there. Damsels are very hardy but I wouldn't feel right about sacrificing one in your tank until you figure out what happened. And this from a guy who HATES damsels

OP
OP
OneOtter

OneOtter

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah I agree with that but I have my neighbor next door his tank has no issues so I am going to monitor the damsel and if it seems like he is struggling he will take it for now. So I didn't buy it for nothing but I dont want anything to die in the tank.

OP
OP
OneOtter

OneOtter

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I will for sure man thank you so much for the help! Wait why don't you like damsels? I drip acclimated him for about 2 hours and put him in he is just chilling under the rock cave currently

BostonReefer300

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Please tell me you didn't get a yellowtail damsel. They are the meanest bullies in any tank and they bite whenever you put your hands in the tank. Most damsels are just mean---yellowtails are evil. By the way, a two hour drip acclimation is long for even the most sensitive, rare invertebrate. For most fish, you can usually just temp acclimate in a their shipping bag for 15 minutes, then add a some tank water into the bag every 5-10 minutes for 30 minutes until you have a 75% tank water/25% shipping water mix. For a damsel, you probably could get away with just temp acclimation and then pour him right in.

OP
OP
OneOtter

OneOtter

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well too late now the guy recomended trying the drip acclimation for 2 hours since I did the temp and bag acclimation last time. And no I got this blue one idr which tho

OP
OP
OneOtter

OneOtter

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The rocks were wet and had signs of age yes they wouldn't have been really live rocks if they weren't. And microbacter start xlm 15x. Here is a screenshot of the bottle but ik at work and can't take a photo of the rocks atm.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20210505-082720_Google.jpg
    Screenshot_20210505-082720_Google.jpg
    101.6 KB · Views: 16
OP
OP
OneOtter

OneOtter

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well the bottle is gone now I threw that thing out sunday, that would've been a big waste of it was expired.

Aqua Man

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The rocks were wet and had signs of age yes they wouldn't have been really live rocks if they weren't. And microbacter start xlm 15x. Here is a screenshot of the bottle but ik at work and can't take a photo of the rocks atm.
Had to ask, the term live rock can have
different meanings these days.

From the information given so far, your
tank should be able to oxidize ammonia.

Even if the bottle was expired, frozen in transit or etc…, live rock is all that one needs usually.

Did I miss the answer to test kit used? Your neighbor has a tank too? Nice! Is he willing to double check your test results? Always nice to have a second person to verify.

OP
OP
OneOtter

OneOtter

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
He checked them I use an ATI and I had a store check aswell they are accurate ish within a small range difference. When I woke up the damsel was doing fine but after some research once the tank is cycled I kinda want to get rid of it lol

OP
OP
OneOtter

OneOtter

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@BostonReefer300 update as of last night my phone is climbing and now at 8.0 my ammonia dropped to between .25-.50 and my nitrite climbed up to 1-2.0 and my nitrate has gone up slightly so it looks to be that my tank is finally cycling properly.

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 49 34.5%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 30 21.1%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 11 7.7%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 10 7.0%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 37 26.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 3.5%
Back