Questions about my new tank

OneOtter

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I have decided to start a saltwater fish tank when all I normally do is freshwater aquascaping. I took my fluvel flex I still hadn't set up purchased some rocks and some water and started the tank up to get it cycled. Someone recomended I use microbacter in order to help my tank a little bit faster with the cycle process but I don't expect that to do much for time because the bacteria still need time either way. I want to achieve a healthy crisp and clean reef tank in the end and after 2 weeks I just hit my ammonia spike in the first cycle. I was wondering if adding copepods in would help in the long run. I have that antsy feeling of wanting to do something even if it is small like adding in drops of a chemical or some copes to feel like I am doing something to help rather than just leaving it be. Any advice or opinions help I am eager to learn this hobby allot more!

fishguy242

Cronies..... INSERT BUILD THREAD BADGE HERE !!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
hi welcome to the reef going to love it here!!
lots of fun/info/fun/help/fun.... :)
i think pods would be ok,but lets hear from others..

Mr. Mojo Rising

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
adding copepods will not do anything good or bad, its your choice. I understand that antsy feeling, lol, so if it makes you feel better then go for it.

BostonReefer300

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would recommend doing a fish-based cycle. This will help speed things up and also scratch that itch to "do something". I've done all my tanks that way. Just watch your parameters closely. I'd recommend using a bacteria product, but some think it's a waste of money or worse. Whatever you do, don't get a yellowtail damsel as your starter fish. Sure, it's impossible to kill it, but you'll regret the decision for the rest of your life.

OP
OP
OneOtter

OneOtter

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well someone at the store recomended clownfish but I don't want to risk them dying. I did a water test yesterday and my ammonia is up at around 2.0-4.0 and the nitrites are still near 0-.25 nitrates are near 0 still and my pH is about 7.8-8.0. I added in microbacter as a bacteria product but after a week nothing has changed. So I'm afraid to add anything in right now as the ammonia might kill them am I wrong?

Aqua Man

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Depending on which microbacter used. Mb7 apparently is not a cycle starting bacteria. Does not contain nitrifying bacteria.
If you want to speed up the cycle, add biospira or Fritz turbo start or something similar.

CMMorgan

Counting my blessings...
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome @OneOtter! Sounds like you are trying to rush the process. Deep breath. How long has this been cycling? Keep testing, have patience. Good things are worth it.

OP
OP
OneOtter

OneOtter

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It just finished week 2 @CMMorgan my big thing is not to rush it I don't mind waiting another month or two if need be I just want to set things up so my tank won't have many problems.

BostonReefer300

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's always best to take things slowly in this hobby, but hard for many of us to practice what we preach. Just keep in mind that you're always going to run into problems with a reef tank. The key is trying to keep a positive attitude when they arise by looking at difficulties as challenging puzzles to solve instead of problems to get over.

OP
OP
OneOtter

OneOtter

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I agree with that and don't have issues with it, I just did a water test and my ph is 7.8-8.0 ammonia is 2-4.0 nitrite is about .25 and my nitrate is at most .25 I feel like the ammonia is way too high should I do a water change to help it at all or just leave it be? Still trying to learn balance of first cycle in saltwater

Dark_Knightt

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well someone at the store recomended clownfish but I don't want to risk them dying. I did a water test yesterday and my ammonia is up at around 2.0-4.0 and the nitrites are still near 0-.25 nitrates are near 0 still and my pH is about 7.8-8.0. I added in microbacter as a bacteria product but after a week nothing has changed. So I'm afraid to add anything in right now as the ammonia might kill them am I wrong?
Clownfish are super hardy, so you have nothing to fear. Fish waste is one of the best things to cycle a tank.

OP
OP
OneOtter

OneOtter

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Right but I threw 2 in already and both clownfish died despite being hardy. Hence why I am here I might need to add something to fix or make it so I can put a fish in there

BostonReefer300

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Depending on which microbacter used. Mb7 apparently is not a cycle starting bacteria. Does not contain nitrifying bacteria.
If you want to speed up the cycle, add biospira or Fritz turbo start or something similar.
Respectfully disagree---Microbacter 7 is suitable for new tanks. Others you mention work fine too.

BostonReefer300

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You had fish die? That wasn't in the earlier posts and that changes things. I saw a couple of parameters from earlier, but need some more info. What's your tank size, SG, temp? You purchased rocks...were they live rock or dry? You purchased water or made it...please provide details. I think something is wrong here, but there are too many possibilities for me to opine without more info. We'll get to the bottom of it though. I'm pretty slammed at work today, but I'll check in later this afternoon and evening.

OP
OP
OneOtter

OneOtter

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I purchased live rocks and the water was purchased pre-made, sg idr what that stands for off the top of my head the temp is a solid 75-77 at all times. The tank is a 15 gallon fluvel flex. I put two clownfish in the tank Sunday because the store owner recomended it for the cycling I woke up yesterday to them dead unfortunately. And yeah I'm currently working aswell, but we have 3 live rocks in there I have gone through a full bottle of microbacter in there I have a flow pump in there aswell that I ordered online. I know 15 gallon is more difficult because it is smaller on the tank size since freshwater is similar in that regard.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20210504-133543_Amazon Shopping.jpg
    Screenshot_20210504-133543_Amazon Shopping.jpg
    78.8 KB · Views: 27

melonheadorion

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
if you had fish die, and the ammonia as high as it is, i would suspect that the test kit has to be somewhat accurate. i just dont think your tank is cycled yet. you have no nitrates, and assuming that the tests are remotely correct, you havent had anything convert to the final stage yet. i would side with caution and just be patient. give it a bit to ensure it is cycled. maybe have the water checked by the LFS to confirm your own readings. i didnt see it mentioned yet, but what is your salinity at?

DED65

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
With fish dying, I wouldn't add any life to the tank until you can figure out why. I had good luck with Fritz Zyme 9, just to add to the list of bacteria. If you do use a nitrifying bacteria, ghost feed the tank for a source of carbon, until you get the ammonia under control. With the bacteria, you should be able to put life in the tank after a couple of days.

A worm with high fashion and practical utility: Have you ever kept feather dusters in your reef aquarium?

• I currently have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 63 36.6%
  • Not currently, but I have had feather dusters in my tank in the past.

Votes: 59 34.3%
  • I have not had feather dusters, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 24 14.0%
  • I have no plans to have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 26 15.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back