Questions about new Reefbot

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Pete_the_Puma

View Badges
Reaction score
Hello,

I just finally set up my Reefbot and got everything working. I have a number of questions I could not find the answer to, I'm sorry if this is described somewhere and I missed it.

In no particular order:

1. I am assuming the length of the "tank" line needs to stay the same, I am guessing the device purges the line before each test. Just so I know, roughly how many mL of tank water are used/purged for an average test? How many in the 1m line? I'm asking in case overall salinity slowly drifts over time.

2. I have not cut the "waste" and "Rodi" lines but they are too long for my setup at the moment. Is it fair to assume they can be cut and their length does not matter?

3. The equipment came with an SD card, what is on it and what is it for?

4. Where was that webpage with the description of all the test and how many vials are needed for each? I currently run API nitrate, API Calcium, RedSea Alk, RedSea phosphate and to my delight have the 8th vial spot open, any one vial test I could add there?

5. What happens when I run out of syringes and needles? I work in the medical field so I can get some more easily but for most people whats the preferred approach to get more supplies?

6. The device says it is calibrated, after how many test should I be thinking about re-calibrating it?

lactose

View Badges
Reaction score
@Pete_the_Puma I have very similar questions and too haven't found answers to these specifically anywhere or found conflicting info. I am impressed how well this works out of the box.

1a. I am assuming I can't change any tube lengths (is that true?) but see info stating 1m tubes when they are clearly like 2m long.

1b. The amount of tank water used would be great to know, it seems like I could probably calculate waste - ro = tank water (and/or subtract the amount of reagent used but that is pretty small) but something in the UI would be much better.

2. Same question as you.

6. Same question, I did an RODI calibration as that seemed harmless enough but the warning on the test chamber was a bit much if it was okay to do - also there was conflicting info in the support articles.

OP
OP
Pete_the_Puma

Pete_the_Puma

View Badges
Reaction score
Did you get an SD card too? I'm a little cautious plugging unknown media into my PC...

lactose

View Badges
Reaction score
Did you get an SD card too? I'm a little cautious plugging unknown media into my PC...

I did, from my experience with raspberry pi etc. (I'm a nerd), I believe that is a microSD to SD adapter and there is a microSD in the device and probably a possible scenario where they may need to have you (in some rare case) update an image on it if it gets corrupted etc.

There was no mention in the instructions tho so kinda funny to just have it in there but pretty sure that is the story (but am of course just guessing)

Blizzahjh

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
i believe i read somewhere they said you can cut them down from 2m to 1m but not to trim further than that. That may also have been for 1 specific line.

Rick Strauss

View Badges
Reaction score
Hello,

I just finally set up my Reefbot and got everything working. I have a number of questions I could not find the answer to, I'm sorry if this is described somewhere and I missed it.

In no particular order:

1. I am assuming the length of the "tank" line needs to stay the same, I am guessing the device purges the line before each test. Just so I know, roughly how many mL of tank water are used/purged for an average test? How many in the 1m line? I'm asking in case overall salinity slowly drifts over time.

2. I have not cut the "waste" and "Rodi" lines but they are too long for my setup at the moment. Is it fair to assume they can be cut and their length does not matter?

4. Where was that webpage with the description of all the test and how many vials are needed for each? I currently run API nitrate, API Calcium, RedSea Alk, RedSea phosphate and to my delight have the 8th vial spot open, any one vial test I could add there?

5. What happens when I run out of syringes and needles? I work in the medical field so I can get some more easily but for most people whats the preferred approach to get more supplies?

6. The device says it is calibrated, after how many test should I be thinking about re-calibrating it?
Syringes can be picked up on amazon cheap. The needle you will quickly find that you can’t buy them anywhere but from them. For the record I’m still on my first needle and have used about 15 syringes.

Reef Kinetics

View Badges
Reaction score
Hello,

In no particular order:

Hello and thank you for sending is questions:

1. Yes, you can cut tank line. the maximum length is 2 meters. Don't use any other tube as these are special for the Reefbot device.
Each test uses different amount of tank sample, depending on the 3rd party reagent manufacturer. the lines will be flushed before every test to ensure accuracy.

2. Yes you can cut RODI and waste.

3. The SD adaptor is used in case you needed to flash a new image. Usually this shouldn't happen.

4. https://reefkinetics.freshdesk.com/...651-where-can-i-buy-test-kits-for-my-reefbot-

5. Needles are custom made for the ReefBot and are not a standard needles.
https://www.reefkinetics.com/product/needles/
https://www.reefkinetics.com/product/syringes/

6. You don't need to calibrate unless the device is giving inaccurate results. We recommend double checking the alkalinity test once a month by performing a manual test and a ReefBot test on the same batch of reagents.

Happy Reefing!

lactose

View Badges
Reaction score
+1 Thanks - @Reef Kinetics out of curiosity (and knowing it varies by test kit) is there any way to know how tank water is used by each test?

Thanks again as I have been impressed by how much "no nonsense" my Reefbot has been so far. I have done Alk, Phosphate and Nitrate tests already!

Last edited:

smartwater101

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
@Reef Kinetics With rinsing and whatnot, how much waste is produced for a single test. Say a single Red Sea Alk test?

Also, how much tank water would this single test use? Is it just the 10ml required by Red Sea, or is there some tube flushing that is happening as well?

smartwater101

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
@Reef Kinetics following up here. Is there a standard amount of tank water used per test?

Thanks!

I used the bot for about a week (sent it back, its far to finicky of a machine) and the waste was ~7oz for 1 red sea test. That's ALL the waste though (reagent, RO rinsing, and tank water) I'm not sure how much of it was just tank water.

stashudave

View Badges
Reaction score
It does use a lot of water but I feel this larger amount of waste water gives a better degree of accuracy

A worm with high fashion and practical utility: Have you ever kept feather dusters in your reef aquarium?

• I currently have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 73 37.6%
  • Not currently, but I have had feather dusters in my tank in the past.

Votes: 66 34.0%
  • I have not had feather dusters, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 25 12.9%
  • I have no plans to have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 28 14.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.0%
Back