Questions about tanks

vicmonahan1396

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I'm getting a snowflake moray eel in august and it will be first time having a saltwater aquarium and owning an eel. So I have some questions 1.What filter do you recommend? 2.How do I make sure my eel has a good happy and healthy life? 3.Do you guys have any tips to help me?

Please answer I'm panicking a bit because I want to give my eel a good life

Crabs McJones

I'm so shi-nay
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I'm getting a snowflake moray eel in august and it will be first time having a saltwater aquarium and owning an eel. So I have some questions 1.What filter do you recommend? 2.How do I make sure my eel has a good happy and healthy life? 3.Do you guys have any tips to help me?

Never kept an eel, but the one piece of advice I can give you is make sure you seal that tank up. From my understanding eels are escape artists and will find any way they can to get out.

lapin

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They eat a lot and poo a lot and love to hide. Be sure you have a good idea of how to keep your nutrients from getting out of hand, water changes will work, and have a good tunnel system for your eel.

Crabs McJones

I'm so shi-nay
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
OP
OP
vicmonahan1396

vicmonahan1396

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They eat a lot and poo a lot and love to hide. Be sure you have a good idea of how to keep your nutrients from getting out of hand and have a good tunnel system for your eel.

My idea is one of those sea chem things that removes chemicals like ammonia and nitrates. And I will be giving it lots of rocks and areas to hide. Is there a way you recommend for helping with nutrients and chemicals in water?

Mikedawg

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Do you have enough time before August for your tank to fully cycle? And, do you really want your first fish to be one that presents many challenges? Just sayin'

OP
OP
vicmonahan1396

vicmonahan1396

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do you have enough time before August for your tank to fully cycle? And, do you really want your first fish to be one that presents many challenges? Just sayin'

Actually among moray eels the snowflake moray eel is actually great for beginner eel keepers from what I've heard. Also I will make sure he does not escape, he is fed food, and the chemicals and water are okay to give him a great life

OP
OP
vicmonahan1396

vicmonahan1396

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Also if I do cycle the tank before august no one will be able to watch it. I'll be gone for two weeks and come back in august. How long does cycling take a month or two?

OP
OP
vicmonahan1396

vicmonahan1396

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is your tank setup already? And cycled? As for the filter I'd probably recommend you get a good external canister filter

No I will mention that to my family we should setup the tank and let it cycle for awhile how long do cycles take?

Crabs McJones

I'm so shi-nay
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No I will mention that to my family we should setup the tank and let it cycle for awhile how long do cycles take?
Subjective. There are to many variables. I've seen tanks cycle in a week, i've seen tanks cycle in 7 weeks. Each tank is different, there is no set time.

OP
OP
vicmonahan1396

vicmonahan1396

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The only way to know for sure is by testing your water thru out the process. You should do some research on here about cycling tanks. Also don't rush anything otherwise you could kill your pets

I'm thinking maybe I'll do that now for a long time and the tank will still be cycling while I'm gone for two weeks

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 40 34.2%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 25 21.4%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 9 7.7%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 8 6.8%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 31 26.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.4%
Back