Questions about tanks

Greybeard

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've kept several eels, over the years, including a snowflake. I don't know how large the one you're wanting to keep is, but they can grow fairly large. 28" or so, and as big around as your wrist. I'd say a 50 or 70 gallon tank would be about the minimum. They like to hide, so ample rockwork, caves, that sort of thing is important to make him comfortable. Lengths of 2" PVC under the rockwork are popular with eels. As Crab said above, many eels are escape artists. Some sort of top that has a mechanism to keep it from being pushed off easily is a necessity for eels, the larger the eel, the more important it's going to become. Big eels are STRONG.

I'd recommend a thin (1" or so) layer of sand, special reef grade, perhaps... something a bit coarser, so it stays in place better. Plenty of marine aquarium safe rock... dry base rock is probably the way to go. I'd epoxy the rock structure together... as I said, big eels are STRONG. You don't want him rearranging it for you :)

Snowflakes have poor eyesight, and an excellent sense of smell. I always fed mine thawed out raw, whole, salad shrimp from the grocery store. It's a pretty inexpensive and healthy way to keep this sort of predator. They can be a challenge to get them eating, if they're recently caught. Live ghost shrimp usually does the trick. Please don't feed them goldfish... it's a horrible diet for a marine predator.

A single or dual bulb florescent strip is plenty of light... the eel doesn't care about it one way or the other, and a bright light is just going to encourage algae growth.

Heaters can be a challenge... I've seen eels get burned on them. I'd probably recommend one of the plastic variety... Colbalt's Neo-Therm line springs to mind.

I usually recommend sump/refugeum/macro algae/skimmer kind of filters, but in this case, as a fish only system, it's probably not necessary. In a predator tank, a good quality filter with floss and granulated carbon filter cartridges, changed regularly, isn't a bad solution. The bigger Penguin hang on type, or even good quality canister filters, can work well in this sort of environment. Predator fishes care little about Nitrate, the bane of most of us reefkeepers. Monthly 10-15% water changes are probably sufficient, along with regular changing of the filter media. Even on predator tanks, I always recommend RO/DI water source. Tap water just introduces too many variables. You can generally buy it at the local fish shop, or pick up an RO/DI filter and make your own clean water. Instant Ocean is probably the right answer on salt.

Tankmates can be a challenge. If the eel can swallow it, it's going to do so, eventually. Aggressive predators can and will pick on more sedentary eels... I'd caution you against most triggers, puffers, and angels. Lionfish and many smaller Groupers usually make a good pairing with eels.

The most important point I could make is this... if you're expecting an eel in August... get water in the tank ASAP. It takes a while for a new marine aquarium to get established. You don't have much time. I'd suggest Dr. Tim's One and Only or Red Sea's 'Reef Mature' products... something to get the new tank's biologic filtration kick started.

Last edited:

Crabs McJones

I'm so shi-nay
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm thinking maybe I'll do that now for a long time and the tank will still be cycling while I'm gone for two weeks

Good idea. You don't need to necessarily watch the tank while it cycles. But you need to test the water when you get back to see where your at in the cycle.
Just make sure whomever is watching the tank is either ghost feeding it or dosing ammonia. If you give the bacteria nothing to consume your tank won't cycle.

Retro Reefer

Slow and steady wins the race!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
IMO... Your heading for disaster, that tank needs to be up and running for a 2-3 months before I would consider putting something like that into it and I would suggest just skipping the eel, to much for a beginner and you will get very little enjoyment out of him.. they hide 90% of the time except maybe sticking their head out of their hiding spot. Nothing Good Happens Quickly In Reefing take your time.

lapin

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
OP
OP
vicmonahan1396

vicmonahan1396

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
IMO... Your heading for disaster, that tank needs to be up and running for a 2-3 months before I would consider putting something like that into it and I would suggest just skipping the eel, to much for a beginner and you will get very little enjoyment out of him.. they hide 90% of the time except maybe sticking their head out of their hiding spot. Nothing Good Happens Quickly In Reefing take your time.

Well actually I'm fine with that. I can watch a tank for hours and get excited when I see anything move. Also I will try and cycle as soon as possible when I get the tank I will set it up and start cycling. Also I will quarantine the eel for a bit so the tank can get cycled and so the beneficial bacteria can acclimate.

Crabs McJones

I'm so shi-nay
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Honestly, if I were you, i'd wait until after getting back from vacation. Snowflake eels are pretty readily available, and you don't want to rush into this or you'll end up with dead animals.

OP
OP
vicmonahan1396

vicmonahan1396

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Honestly, if I were you, i'd wait until after getting back from vacation. Snowflake eels are pretty readily available, and you don't want to rush into this or you'll end up with dead animals.

I'm doing that I'm going to order the eel when I get back from vacation in august. But I'm going to be trying to convince my mom to buy the tank early so it can cycle and stuff

Crabs McJones

I'm so shi-nay
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm doing that I'm going to order the eel when I get back from vacation in august. But I'm going to be trying to convince my mom to buy the tank early so it can cycle and stuff
Best advice ever given "Remember nothing good happens in this hobby overnight, only bad things. If you think you're going slow, slow down even more" Slow and steady wins the race. If you rush anything, your failure rate increases dramatically.

OP
OP
vicmonahan1396

vicmonahan1396

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Also any fish you would recommend for a beginner I was thinking maybe a blenny because they remind me of mudskipper. I could get the blenny and the eel but I don't think they are compatible

OP
OP
vicmonahan1396

vicmonahan1396

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Best advice ever given "Remember nothing good happens in this hobby overnight, only bad things. If you think you're going slow, slow down even more" Slow and steady wins the race. If you rush anything, your failure rate increases dramatically.

I know that's why I'm researching and trying to get stuff setup for the eel or maybe even a blenny

Mikedawg

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Actually among moray eels the snowflake moray eel is actually great for beginner eel keepers from what I've heard. Also I will make sure he does not escape, he is fed food, and the chemicals and water are okay to give him a great life
Good to hear; finding the right foods for feeding is a challenge for many reefers but you sound motivated to do it right.

Crabs McJones

I'm so shi-nay
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Crabs McJones

I'm so shi-nay
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
OP
OP
vicmonahan1396

vicmonahan1396

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Crabs McJones

I'm so shi-nay
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do you think a month will be long enough to cycle an aquarium?

What do I do with the fish while the tank is cycling?
dont buy anything until after the tank has cycled. And again I don't know if a month is long enough because every tank is different. Some tanks take 2 weeks, some take 2 months only way to be sure is to cycle it and test your water parameters. Ammonia, nitrite, and nitrate.

OP
OP
vicmonahan1396

vicmonahan1396

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
dont buy anything until after the tank has cycled. And again I don't know if a month is long enough because every tank is different. Some tanks take 2 weeks, some take 2 months only way to be sure is to cycle it and test your water parameters. Ammonia, nitrite, and nitrate.

What do I do when the nitrates or ammonia or salinity or phosphorus and stuff is too high or low

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 44 35.2%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 27 21.6%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 9 7.2%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 10 8.0%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 31 24.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.2%
Back